bivy sack

cmeier117

WKR
If you are using a bivy in place of a ground sheet and using a supertarp is there a reason to get a waterproof one like the buga boo? I guess if you plan to hop in it without the tarp?

Gman

WKR
Not really. If you're always going to be in the tarp the ti goat or a piece of tyvek is just fine. Again, this is by CO standards. I see you're from OR and if there's always moisture in the air, you may want something waterproof - I have no experience with conditions in your area. And I think that's the big caveat - everyone's conditions from AK, CO, OR, etc are different. That must be taken into consideration.

cmeier117

WKR
Not really. If you're always going to be in the tarp the ti goat or a piece of tyvek is just fine. Again, this is by CO standards. I see you're from OR and if there's always moisture in the air, you may want something waterproof - I have no experience with conditions in your area. And I think that's the big caveat - everyone's conditions from AK, CO, OR, etc are different. That must be taken into consideration.

Very true. It is always wet here, or can be! Although September is our most dry month and it isn't very humid here at all. It is just wet. ;) I was thinking of trying a bivy from Oware USA with the Quarktex water repellent top.

cmeier117

WKR
You integral design guys answer me this on your bugaboo bivy. Why go with this model? Out of all of their waterproof poleless bivy's it it the heaviest? Why not go with the Makeshift, SPartan, diamond bivy, or alpine bivy? You just want the eVent material? Larger cut? What is it?

Gman

WKR
I think just about all of those have the eVent... with Bivies it's always a compromise of weight vs. how much comfort and features. So for me yes, it's the wider cut, bug netting, etc. Those other bivies are very minimalist, no features, and cut very slim. On the other hand, if I was never in a tarp and just a bivy I'd probably be looking at a pole bivy or even the 3 wire from BA. I do put a very high premium on the event material as truly waterproof AND breathable is important to me - especially since I use a down bag.

So which one is right for you? You just have to pick your poison! Again, if you're just using it as an over built ground cloth you could easily get away with the ti goat or the other ID bivies. You'll also have to figure your comfort level when in the bivy. I always put my inflatable pad in the bivy -- it's one way I protect it -- and I felt like a sausage with my BA IAC pad and my WM bag when I was in the TiGoat bivy. YMMV. I know a lot of guys use those, that's why I tried it out in the first place.

I've never used it, but just checking it out, the BA 3 wire bivy looks to have a bunch of elbow room for a bivy but it's on the heavy side for my application.

Last edited:

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to find a bivy that strikes a balance between size/comfort and light weight. The TiGoat Raven looks pretty good, as does the Mountain Laurel Designs Ultralight, but i really don't know what else to look at in terms of sub 10 oz. options.

JG358

WKR
Then the Ti Goat is just fine. Or just go with Tyvek unless the bugs are too much... in that photo Aron posted the skeeters were starting to come out and I was thankful for the enclosed bivy with bug netting. Let us know what you end up doing.

After looking at the demensions of the Ti and the ID, I'm leaning towards the ID just to have the extra wiggle room.

swat8888

WKR
Just a note on the Ti Goat bivvies....the bottom of those things are slippery as hell. Last year when we had to pitch on a hillside I spent several nights slid all the way against my partner. Granted it was a little warmer I'm not much for spooning other men unless I'm trying not to die. To try and remedy this I put a couple horizonal lines of seam sealer on the bottom of the bag to give it some grip on my sleeping pad.

I use a titanium goat raven, it's sized for the air mattress like the Neo air I added the bug netting and it still weighs in at around 8 oz. love it slept in it over 30 nights last year

JG358

WKR
Then the Ti Goat is just fine. Or just go with Tyvek unless the bugs are too much... in that photo Aron posted the skeeters were starting to come out and I was thankful for the enclosed bivy with bug netting. Let us know what you end up doing.

I ended up ordering a Bugaboo II, Just in case I decide to ever use it as a stand alone shelter.

Bighorse

WKR
I'll be using a OR Advanced Bivy here in SE AK on my goat hunt next week inside my Golite SL3. It's got a bug shield, performs well in water, and is big enough for me at 6'2" 230. I've used it for years. It's good insurance. If I'm spiking away from my main camp then it's in my pack, just in case. I've used it too.

Gonna try a Hilleberg Biv anorak this year,its a bit heavier than my T I bivy but seems loke a more robust piece of stand alone gear
Tim