bivy sack

bbrown

WKR
I recently picked up a TIgoat ptarmigan bivy and had them sew in the bug net - comes in at 6.7ozs. Couple that with my Oware 9x9 pyramid tent and I have year round shelter for less than 2lbs. Or I plan to add a Oware or BearPaw 8x10 siltarp for the early season and have a restful bug free night for less than 20ozs.

Eagle

WKR
I've used a Ti Goat Raven bivy with an 8X8 Oware Tarp as my "shelter system" for 4 years now. I've got over 20 nights of use in the Rockies with this system, been through hail and rain storms well above treeline that made me shake, and I won't be changing anytime soon. The system with stakes and guylines weighs in at around 22 oz.

Attachments

• Tarp Ready to Go.jpg
    Tarp Ready to Go.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 169
It' starting to make sense now. It's hard to argue with shelter systems that come in at around 20 oz. it just seemed like everything that I looked at was a little more on the weighty side. Sheep hunting here in August can get pretty miserable, with August being one of our rainiest months. Snow is also very common that time of year in sheep country. My biggest concern with a bivy is condensation, but maybe with the newest, latest, greatest materials that we have out nowadays, that isn't as much of an issue.

Titanium Goat has some good options on Bivy weight.
Ptarmigan Bivy, 6 ounces with stuff sack.
Raven Omni Bivy, 7.4 ounces with stuff sack.
Bug Net Bivy, 7.4 ounces with stuff sack.

The only thing I get concerned about the tarp is having it open on one side, perhaps due to past events I've had. I kind of like the option on having my shelter enclosed these days.

(1) So I don't have to be concerned about possible direction shelter reset if a storm front changes direction during my stay or I get a weird swirling rain.
(2) For a bit more protection or at least some deterrent from pesky critters messing with my gear. I've had coyotes silently come up, pick up my boots placed right next to my head at night and take them fifty or so yards away and chew them up while I was sleeping. Since then, I like having access to my gear with some kind of barrier or deterrent, however minimal the barrier or deterrent may be. For the most part critters leave me alone but for me it's nice having some deterrents as options.

22 ounces is awesome Eagle. I like that lightweight set up on weight.

Eagle

WKR
It' starting to make sense now. It's hard to argue with shelter systems that come in at around 20 oz. it just seemed like everything that I looked at was a little more on the weighty side. Sheep hunting here in August can get pretty miserable, with August being one of our rainiest months. Snow is also very common that time of year in sheep country. My biggest concern with a bivy is condensation, but maybe with the newest, latest, greatest materials that we have out nowadays, that isn't as much of an issue.

I can't speak for any other bivy's, but I've never had a condensation issue with mine. I think having the bug net and that being open, allowing my breath to not get caught in is the key, as my tarp usually has considerable condensation even though it's open.

OP
slim23

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
the open end is the only hing that concerns me also. i figure when things get nasty i can lower the open end to reduce the opening or have thougt about getting a anex for a para tarp if they will make me one. I am going to buy a cheap army bivy for my trial run with my homemade sil nylon tarp for a weekend or two and see if its liveable

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got a paratarp and annex on its way. Im leaning towards a tigoat bicycling with it as well.

I too like being closed up, no open end. And at under a lb with the annex that's a pretty light setup. Add in stakes and some cottage and your in that 20-25oz range your looking at.

That's my thinking atleast. We will see how it pans out this year.

Also when its buggy iv got a 5oz netting nest I use.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Lawnboi the Ti Bivy is all you'll need even when its buggy. No need for the 5 oz netting. Just order the model of bivy that has some bug netting in it as well. We have bugs up here in Alaska as you might have heard ;) and I've found that if going solo or with another buddy the bivy is plenty escape for sleeping away from the bugs.

Lawnboi

WKR
How well does the tigoat bivy breathe? I dont want to be roasting in it if its the only form of bug protection i have. Skeeters will dang near drive me out of the woods i hate those little buggers.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Its just a DWR finish on the top so they breath extremely well vs. a waterproof finish on the top of the bag. But I don't have to camp in 90 degree weather. Hottest I have used the TI goat was 70 degrees and I was just fine.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
I have spent alot of nights in my OR advanced bivy and have a hard time trusting another . I have a friend that had a Sierra designer zagori e-vent, and it had major condensation issues. Especially when we hunted in the cascades range . Good luck

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking for a lighter smaller shelter set up for this year. This thread has given me some good ideas. I have a place that gives me a deal if I take in pattern ideas that they can use to sell so I'm thinking I'll have them make me a bivy and a tarp to play with.

JG358

WKR
Integral Designs BugaBoo. eVent, light. Kind of a minimalist bivy but so far it keeps all the elements out and breathes fantastic.

Since you've used the ID and the TiGoat... Do you think the ID is worth the extra weight even if it's used in conjunction with a tarp?

Gman

WKR
I do. But it's all dependent on how you roll. Side by side I didn't feel like the ti goat had a lot of room with my pad and bag. I like the ID because I may not put the tarp up - like last weekend. Weather was great and we just rolled out the bivy. I had no concerns about midnight showers or wind. Even if I am setting up the tarp regularly its nice to be able to bivy if the situation warrants. Alot of times we're in areas where there's not enough space to pitch a tarp. That's actually what pushed me to buy the ID - I spent the night wrapped in a super tarp - because the deadfall we slept in was tight - while my hunting partner threw out his bivy and was cozy in 10 seconds. Also if I like my camp I may leave the tarp set and roll with my bag in the ID bivy and if I need to stay out I'm prepared - and comfortable. The ID also adds quite a bit of warmth - so much so I'm thinking of using only my woobie and bivy for archery season. I've never had any condensation issues with the eVent material. I posted up a mod I did on the ID bivy that allows me to put the bivy and my WM alpenlite in a medium Kifaru 5 string compression sack which gets it nice and small.

For Colorado if I'm in a tarp all the time I wouldn't even get the ti goat - I'd just carry a piece of tyvek or a foam mat to put under my inflatable pad. Really no need for the bivy if you're always under a tarp.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sometimes it's easier to just flop down in the bivy!

Gman, Two Trees (Adam Tangsrud) and Weber at the bivy camp....

DSC01609.jpg

DSC01607.jpg

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
A Ti (or similar) minimalist bivy matched with a Sil tarp is as light as you can go. In Alaska it can be challenging to use such as your primary shelter like I did on last years sheep hunt where rain was a constant companion, it worked fine but there were challenges. I have made a few bivies and tarps of my own, mostly because I could build two or three for the price of one. In my opinion if you are not using the combo as a primary shelter then the benefits are nil, the whole point is to minimize bulk and weight.

I use my light bivy when using the Hilleberg without the inner body or when using the tarp to keep moisture at bay and protect the shell of my WM bags. The tarps obviously have a million and one uses outside of a shelter in situations where you dont have to carry it in along with your primary shelter like a drop hunt.

i-62dd8j5-L.jpg

i-Sk4bBns-L.jpg

Last edited:

JG358

WKR
Sometimes it's easier to just flop down in the bivy!

Ya, I doubt I'd ever do that except in an emergency situation. I'm more less thinking along the lines of using a bivy as a ground sheet and something to keep the skeeters off.

Gman

WKR
Ya, I doubt I'd ever do that except in an emergency situation. I'm more less thinking along the lines of using a bivy as a ground sheet and something to keep the skeeters off.

Then the Ti Goat is just fine. Or just go with Tyvek unless the bugs are too much... in that photo Aron posted the skeeters were starting to come out and I was thankful for the enclosed bivy with bug netting. Let us know what you end up doing.