Bivy sack w/ headspace and bug net

sivart

WKR
I have an OR helium bivy. I can't use it with the bug net, as I'm super clausterphobic..sp. Is there a bivy available w/ bug protection that gives you decent head room that you can actually breathe in? I'm interested in maybe the Rab ridge raider, or the Canvas cutter summit? Any ideas or opinions?

BBob

WKR
I'm claustrophobic as well. I use an MLD superlight DCF with full face mesh. It has a loop and light shock cord to tie it up to something. I put loops on the underside of my tarp to clip to. It has tie out loops in the upper corners if you really want to keep it stretched out.
IMG_5695.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a North Face Soloist bivy that is 3 layer Goretex and has two small poles that erect over your head to give you more room to breathe. They don’t make them anymore, but mine doesn’t get used enough to hold onto.
If your interested, let me know and I can send some pics.

I have a borah I like and also an Anda that is a little lighter and really well made as well. Both have mesh you can run cordage to a trekking pole to keep mesh off your face.

RgrLW2012

FNG
Both Kelty and Slumberjack used to make a lightweight bug bivy as a component of their Varicom/SVCSS military sleep systems. The bug bivy was pretty light and had an integrated stiffener to keep the net well above your face. Something similar might work with or without your current bivy. Should be relatively common surplus on ebay or similar.

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
I think the Rab Ridge Raider would be a kick ass setup. I get a little claustrophobic at times too and I think the hoop and foot box would make a huge difference in comfort for me. It’s an item that I keep staring at and wanting to try.

BBob

WKR
Rab Ridge Raider
Similar to the old Bibler Tripod bivy. Mby Black Diamond still makes it? I used the Bibler for many years. Not bad for a quick trip. It get's old though with the limited space. It sucks when it's raining and it's time to get in or out of it. My current Tarptent tarp bug bivy combo is half the weight of the Rab with tons of room and is super quick to setup.

Last edited:
Love my Borah gear bivy but I’m thinking you might prefer something like the Big Agnes 3 wire bivy. It’s got a huge elevated head space and large ventilation mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
Similar to the old Bibler Tripod bivy. Mby Black Diamond still makes it? I used the Bibler for many years. Not bad for a quick trip. It get's old though with the limited space and sucks when it's raining and it's time to get in or out of it. My current Tarptent tarp bug bivy combo is half the weight of the Rab with tons of room and is super quick to setup.
This is also a reason that I haven’t pulled the trigger. I believe there is benefits of your setup that I am more interested in as well.

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Reach out to Borah Gear. I am a slightly fluffy guy. (6' 220#) and I like a 3" to 4" pad that is 25" wide. After a conversation with them, they added 3" "height" to my Borah bivy at no additional charge. It has the chest and side zip with mesh head area and still tucks into a sack smaller than my fist (and could be compressed more). Got a tarp from them too at the same size in the sack. It is my go to setup when solo!

Reach out to Borah Gear. I am a slightly fluffy guy. (6' 220#) and I like a 3" to 4" pad that is 25" wide. After a conversation with them, they added 3" "height" to my Borah bivy at no additional charge. It has the chest and side zip with mesh head area and still tucks into a sack smaller than my fist (and could be compressed more). Got a tarp from them too at the same size in the sack. It is my go to setup when solo!

+1 for Borah Gear… same setup… slightly fluffier(6’1, 265#)

K.S.

FNG
+2 for Borah Gear!
I had him do a custom one for me. It was only a few dollars more.
Tell him what your issues are, he’ll fix you up!

SHTF just dropped the price of his 3 wire bivy to $200. Smoking hot deal for that particular bivy. Oversized and tons of head room above and off your face.