Bison Hide Question

buzzy

WKR
I may be hunting bison a year earlier than expected in a few weeks. Hunt will be in Oregon along the coast somewhere. I’m guessing the hide will not be in that great of condition since it’s August. Any suggestions on what to do with it if anything? Maybe have it tanned and shave the hair off so you have a leather hide?? Any suggestions or comments on hide quality are appreciated.

All my bison hunts were booked after Thanksgiving for this reason, I wanted thick, awesome robes. Your hunt schedule makes it pricey leather unworthy of the cost of tanning IMHO. I'd save the tanning cost for a hunt conducted in cold weather or just buy a nice hide worth the $$$. JMObisonrobesbottom.jpgbisonrobestop.jpg

Attachments

• BOWBISONVICTORY.jpg
    BOWBISONVICTORY.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMGP2067.JPG
    IMGP2067.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 40
OP
B

buzzy

WKR
All my bison hunts were booked after Thanksgiving for this reason, I wanted thick, awesome robes. Your hunt schedule makes it pricey leather unworthy of the cost of tanning IMHO. I'd save the tanning cost for a hunt conducted in cold weather or just buy a nice hide worth the $$$. JMOView attachment 437422View attachment 437423
Thanks. That was what I’m afraid of. Unfortunately I don’t have any options for a late hunt on this one.

The coastal rainforests of the PNW seems like an odd place for a bison hunt. I've spent time in these forests, you can have trouble seeing your partner if he's 20' away. Few places with visible ground, much less flat ground. Where is your hunt?

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Not exactly sure on the location. And yes it can be up close and personal from what I hear which attracted me to the hunt. They only take 1-2 bison a year in the 4-5 year age class. They were leftovers from a herd the rancher gave up on in the past and just have the run of the place from what I understand.

I had the displeasure of helping skin 2 different mature bison at a past job. Both were killed during the summer (August/Early September) and had nice coats. Maybe not as long and shaggy as a winter coat, but they were in great overall condition and came back with good fur.

EDIT: if you plan to ship these to a tannery, you may need to build a sturdy box of your own. The company I worked for had a carpenter on the payroll and he built wood boxes for shipping the 150 or so pound hides. Also Specialty Leather out of Boone, IA, is phenomenal tanning house. They've done a couple hair-on whitetail rugs for me and they are soft and fantastic. They also do a ton of exotics including African plains and dangerous game. They do everything old school, and the tanning drums they use are like 100 years old. Very cool facility and good bunch owns/manages it.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
The hides should be ok...as others have stated not thick like winter but should be full and still be a nice looking piece. If I was just going to have a hair off leather I wouldn't spend the effort, time and money...I 'd just spend the money and buy one online. Probably get a hairless cow hide for lot cheaper and get it now...not a year from now.

Definitely use Specialty Leather. I used to send a majority of my flat hides there when I did taxidermy. Especially for hair off leather. They are fairly quick and do an outstanding job. I never liked used Moyles. Great job but took forever and they always wanted to fill out a Cites form for everything it seemed like. If you did hair off then a cool option is to find an artist that can paint on leather and have them paint a cool design or scene on it.

Another vote for Moyle's, I sent my bison hide there last fall and the finished product is incredible.