Bird Dogs & domestic chickens

OP
Montucky

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
The birds fear no fox when the big dog is on overwatch.

YRXrOf1.jpg

The female just doing bird dog stuff. Never goes beyond the stalk.

bbS6xGs.jpg

We've never had an issue with the GSP's and chickens.
That’s such an awesome couple of pictures….ThankYou for sharing, this is exactly what I’m visualizing in my scenario but…….

JPD350

WKR
My pointer can not be around our chickens, the reality is that he should be better trained to never chase birds but the dog has caught numerous birds in the field and it's been a major detriment at the beginning of the season.

OP
Montucky

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, here we GO……my wife has them stashed in the bathroom for safety. Took my Pointer in there for introduction. Now he is obsessed with the bathroom door 4D6CE400-806F-4314-B7BE-53486B889403.jpeg

FLATHEAD

WKR
We just got Smoky Pearls, Rustic Rocks and Golden Comets,
5 of each. 2 of the Smoky Pearls are supposedly Roosters.

DuckDogDr

WKR
My lab retrieved a chicken once when I first got them. He was well established in his career.. I fussed / yelled at him but admittedly wasn’t too hard on him as he was doing what he was trained to do.. but since then he has just watched and not really cared about them…

My chessie on the other hand .. his reputation proceeds him and he is hard headed enough and his prey drive is strong enough keeping chickens around him is becoming an issue.. He’s really hard mouthed and hasn’t worked out well for the chickens … Chickens 0 / Chessie 2

My girlfriend sometimes doesn’t fully understand what’s going on in his head even though she says he does..In fact last night We’ve been raising 5 little chickens to throw in the rest of the flock and she let him out of his crate for before bed potty break and before she realized what he was doing he plucked one of the chicks from the incubator and was crunching it as he was bringing it to her
🙄

My cat he fuggs with them just to be a mean ass when he is bored. But he doesn’t hurt them. It’s funny to watch him.. 1/2 the time he lets them walk all around him while he is sunning on the porch and could care less… the other 1/2 he’s pretending to be saber toothed chicken getter

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
I have a birddog/chicken story. This happened in MS. My dad and I used to hunt every chance we had. I had got a lead on some primo farm ground. It belonged to my SIL dad, The first trip the old man let us hunt but made drive about a quarter mile away to start. "I don't want one of those damn dogs to catch any of my wife's chickens. We obliged and had the best hunt ever, it was my first time to take a limit. On the way back to the truck I dressed 1/2 dozen birds. He met as we left and asked how hunting was. Great thank you kind sir and here is a small token of our appreciation and gave the dressed birds. After many more trips (we always left him with a 1/2 dozen dressed birds. Near the last of the season, it was cold and sleet on the ground and we only killed 1 bird. It was tiny almost starved to death and we quit. When we went back by the old mans house, as usual he came out to see how the hunt was and get his birds. We told him the sad story. He said " Hell, let me go kill one of the wife's chickens. I hate for y'all to leave with nothing."

Bobbyboe

WKR
Brittany owner here.

My neighbor has a fenced in yard, which she free ranges her egg laying chickens. One of the hens found it’s wings and would some what regularly hop the fence. She clipped its wings, but it would still get out. One day I look at my dogs gps and he’s 100 yards away in the direction of her yard. I lit him up and he begins yelping. He comes sprinting back to the yard with a big yellow hen in his mouth. Still alive he didn’t want to give up the bird. After a while he handed me his prize and was quite proud of himself. There were feathers everywhere! The hen needed some tlc and rehab, but made it back to health. That hen is again hopping the fence. I have a feeling my dog will eventually get it again.

No way my dog will leave ANY bird alone, period!

KenLee

WKR
I've got a story about chickens and bird dogs.

First of all, I have the sweetest little family bird dog who is also absolutely hell on birds. She's a Boykin spaniel. My 2-year old son terrorizes her and thank the lord she just puts up with it and loves on everyone and everything that isn't a game bird. Perfect house pet and just a force in the hunting woods.

A few years ago I went to visit a private landowner to negotiate a deal to get turkey hunting access. I drove over four hours to meet this guy at his place out in the country. He had some goats, sheep, chickens. Typical hobby farm setup. I had my dog kenneled in the car and it had been a long trip so I was anxious to let her air out a little bit. This guy starts to talk about duck hunting and wanting to teach his sons and needing some mentorship. We flirted around with a deal in which I would take them duck hunting a few times to show them the ropes in exchange for turkey hunting access at his property. Fair enough.

In my eagerness to ink a deal and show my credibility as a duck dog Jedi master, I thought it would be a good idea to show him my pup. Show off. Brag on her a little. So I asked the landowner if I could let the dog run around with us. He asked straight up: she won't go after chickens will she? I told him "No, she has been around chickens before and expressed no interest." This was true. So the guy says okay and we get the dog out and she hangs around us. I'm having to hack on her pretty good to keep her close. He's getting nervous, but I'm calm. I'm thinking I've got this under control, my dog's never chased chickens before, that I'm a great dog master and trainer.

Know this. Your thoughts are not your reality.

We are in a barn. My pup disappears underneath a tractor and starts acting funny, you might say birdy. I'm still convinced she's not a chicken getter, so do nothing. She's underneath this tractor for a while. 10 seconds? 5 seconds? It was 5 long seconds. All of a sudden a chicken explodes from underneath the tractor and my dog in fast pursuit. The landowner screams "Not the chickens!!" and then louder "NOT THAAAAT CHICKEN!!"

I'm speechless, sprinting after the chicken and dog, and wondering "Oh crap, what's so special about that chicken?" But before I know it the special chicken is in my dog's mouth and the dog is just trying to swallow it whole. I can hear the crunching. I say "LEAVE IT" and rescue the poor chicken from her mouth and it does this weird flying limp off to another part of the farm and underneath another barn. There are feathers in the air and blood on the ground. The landowner is frantic.

He goes on to explain that this is his wife's absolutely favorite chicken which she rescued from their small town during a parade earlier that year. That this wife would surely die if this chicken were to die. What are the odds that people have special chickens?

We spent the next 45 minutes trying to coax this special chicken from under an outbuilding. It's under there somewhere, and we have no idea whether the chicken is dead or just hiding in terror.

I'm deeply embarassed of course. I'm apologizing over and over and offering to buy a new chicken or pay whatever is needed. Eventually, we parted ways -- me just mortified -- and I never heard from this landowner again.

I pray for your chickens.
I actually took my last wife's favorite chicken to the vet...twice. I'll admit that by that point, I probably liked the chicken more than the wife.

KenLee

WKR
Hard to say...My dad had 2 springers and a pet racoon. Got chickens and had zero issues. The dogs didn't even pay attention to them once introduced and the racoon would chase them around a little but never harmed one. Funny thing is his one Springer was above average sized and any coon it saw it would chase down and kill in about 10 seconds. Absolutely no contest. That dog and his pet racoon played non stop and even slept together on a dog bed.

Absolutely no loss in bird drive from his two dogs.

On the other hand by inlaws dogs smoke their chickens any chance they could get.
Your Dad sounds like a "dog man". Some folks can just talk to a dog and they fall in line and never forget.