Non-Traditional Bird Dogs

Here in VA there aren't wild pheasants or chukars. There might be quail and grouse but they are VERY FEW and even further between. My hunting is squirrel and coons primarily so I've got a larger sized Mountain Cur. If you don't know, they're a smart problem solving dog. I've had mine for 7 years now and he great at keeping the house safe from 2 legged critters, amazing coon and squirrel hunter, occasional animal herder, and a very non traditional bird dog.

I've done 2 canned hunts with him and his only "downfall" is that he doesn't hold and point. But he definitely indicates when he's definitely on to something and he gives you 10 seconds to setup. He is not soft mouthed.. aka he'll kill a bird if he can get his mouth on it. His primary tool is his nose. he can wind a bird from 10 yards away and then as the scent builds he switches to his eyes to find the birds. He proved himself this past weekend on his 2nd pheasant/chukar hunt. Sure it was a canned hunt but I'd use him out west if he happened to be with me.

Anyone else using non trad bird dogs for upland birds??

I have some nice quick hunt spots that I took my friend. He takes his mini pins out to them and whacked a good amount of pheasants this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
I used to train with a group of folks that included the usual setters, pointers, plus some versatile breeds including 2 griffs and a small munsterlander, and at the time I had a young lab from a pointing breeder--that's a different sort of non-traditional. We used to get together once a month or so and do a big training day and barbcue. One day one of the group members' friends brought their rottweiler...turns out this guy had been bird hunting at a local preserve with his rottweiler for years, and while it wasnt much to watch run...kind of plodding...it pretty reliably pointed and held wild woodcock or pen raised quail, chukars or pheasants. Havent seen the guy in more than a decade but wont forget that any time soon.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen a guy bird hunt with a dobermann. The thing looks like a horse running through the uplands. Not a stellar bird dog by any means, but gets the job done. I can't imagine there is much left of the bird once he brings it back though...

Not upland but my Jack Russell used to retrieve ducks. He'd struggle with mallards but he was hell on the teal.