Montana hunting dogs

I have a GSP and their hair is like glitter. It gets EVERYWHERE and is impossible to clean up. The stiff little hairs will poke through the fibers of all the fabric in your house and won't brush out. I love my GSP as a hunter but I won't get another one for that reason. I'll get either a picardy Spaniel or a Large Munsterlander. I hear they are versatile pointing dogs with great temperament for the home and at least their hair can me vacuumed or brushed up..
Dang that bad huh? I hear anything from hardly shed to what you are saying. Most say labs shed worse but I found lab shedding manageable. Not short and sticky like you describe, more giant soft clumps during shedding season. My wife was all over it before I saw it with the vacuum.

Dang that bad huh? I hear anything from hardly shed to what you are saying. Most say labs shed worse but I found lab shedding manageable. Not short and sticky like you describe, more giant soft clumps during shedding season. My wife was all over it before I saw it with the vacuum.
I'll second the shedding. My daughter has a GSP that's white with liver spots. That white hair is everywhere and damn near impossible to clean up.

Not knowing better I'd think shedding would be worse for a Munsterlander than a GSP with the long white hair

Not knowing better I'd think shedding would be worse for a Munsterlander than a GSP with the long white hair
The unfortunate thing with the gsp hair is its uncanny ability to worm itself into other fabrics. At least with the longer fur, you can sweep or vacuum it. I let my daughter use my pickup to take her dog to the vet a few years ago and I'm still pulling white hairs out of the carpet .

OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
Thank you all. Great info and lots to digest. I have some time since this is nothing something I would rush into.

English labs are from show lines so you mean British?
This comment confuses me, English Lab seems like a great recommendation? We have lots of American and English lab breeders around here. English are blockier, typically mellower temperment, but are excellent hunters and retrievers too. I had never heard of British but I do see that it is a thing and now I want one. Sounds like an English lab in a smaller package. But British kennels don't look very common especially in the NW US.

bdg848

WKR
Their hairs are about a quarter inch long and when they shake you see a cloud of hair float off of them through the air. Right now I'm wearing a black sweatshirt and it is filled with these stupid little white hairs. It's terrible lol.

KurtR

WKR
This comment confuses me, English Lab seems like a great recommendation? We have lots of American and English lab breeders around here. English are blockier, typically mellower temperment, but are excellent hunters and retrievers too. I had never heard of British but I do see that it is a thing and now I want one. Sounds like an English lab in a smaller package. But British kennels don't look very common especially in the NW US.
English are the big fat slow show dogs you see. British come from field lines and they have some good dogs. While there is something with some dogs being a little hotter than others the off switch people speak of is more in the training than anything. I know of multiple dogs who are fc fire breathers that live inside and lay around with no problem. It’s easy to find out what kind pedigree a lab has just go to hunting lab pedigree.com and if the should be on there. You will see most “English “ dogs have show titles by there name. You want a British dog Josh miller at river stone kennels is the only place I’m would get one from. It’s about a 2 year wait but his dogs are amazing and he is a great trainer.

MTDanJ

FNG
I’ll be having a little of AKC German Wirehairs very shortly! Located in Clancy- Will have a few available if anyone is looking for one