Bipod upgrade?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
@Justin Crossley
Give us the scoop man.
Post 72
Yeah, I've been using one for a while and it's sweet. This was sighting in the thermal on my Nodak coyote hunt.

20221126_161629(0).jpg

Today I actually used it at a PRS match to see how it would do in different positions. It worked great whether I needed it tall or short and it adjusts pretty quickly.

20221120_131852.jpg

I'm planning to use it at the NRL Hunter match in February and will post a review after that.

20221112_095039.jpg

Yeah, I've been using one for a while and it's sweet. This was sighting in the thermal on my Nodak coyote hunt.

View attachment 494446

Today I actually used it at a PRS match to see how it would do in different positions. It worked great whether I needed it tall or short and it adjusts pretty quickly.

View attachment 494447

I'm planning to use it at the NRL Hunter match in February and will post a review after that.

View attachment 494449
Thanks.
Any idea of release date? I'd think soon. Shot show?

Is it quick attach/release? Aka carry in pack and attach on a hunt?

Any bipod that you have to twist the legs to extend or retract the length on is functional at the range but less so in the field. I do not care for them at all. They are going to be the most common design for “lightweight” bipods but I’d rather have speed, functionality and reliability.

I own a Harris, it’s heavy and unimpressive. I have an Atlas that I really like for range use. Blaser which is kind of gimmicky as it’s a magnetic attachment so you can’t leave it in while hiking. I wanted to buy a MtnGear but they were out of stock and I needed it for a hunt. I ended up deciding between the Hatch and the MDT but ended up going with the MDT Cykepod lightweight because of better reliable features (the gimmicky cord on the hatch was a deterrent).
The Cykepod is actually not very light compared to others but it’s the most well built adjustable bipod I have owned. It’s stupidly expensive and admittedly way over priced. But it is indeed amazing.

I would recommend trying the MtnGear one if/when they are back in stock. It’s less than half the weight of the Gunwerks prototype. Maybe the Gunwerks one is a little more sturdier though. As you shed weight you sacrifice stability/sturdiness. That’s the only complaint I have seen about ultra-lightweight bipods.

Last edited:

95huskers

FNG
I keep coming back to Harris no matter what I try. I know there are much better bipods out there, but the versatility of being able to take a sitting shot with a Harris is important to me where I hunt. Is there anything else tall enough that would pose an advantage that I'm missing out there?

Glimmerman151

FNG
Classified Approved
I have a MTNGEAR.NZ , its a quick attachment pic mount. Pretty awsome, adjusts from about 4" to 16" swivels and pans. Weighs 4.5 oz. Expensive, but its light and you barely know it's there until you need it. Looked into the javelin, but wanted something that was stored on the gun more than off.

JP100

WKR
Another one for the MTN Gear bipod.
Had for a while now. huge range of movement, easy to use in the field, and super light.

I dont like bipods at all, but as using this alot now, especially with clients. Making a big difference having the big range of movement and so light you dont know you have it

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Have the Javelin and love it. All the good of a bipod, minus most of the bad. The “gunsmith” adapter takes a 3/4” Forstner bit and ten minutes. Only way to fly.

dave

Do you have any pics? I’m getting another stock for my Kimber 300wm and I have the gunsmith adapter. Just sort of nervous about doing it.

idahodave

WKR
Do you have any pics? I’m getting another stock for my Kimber 300wm and I have the gunsmith adapter. Just sort of nervous about doing it.
Thinhor,

the stock is actually out getting painted as we speak, I should have it back in hand in a couple of weeks and I’ll send you a picture ASAP. It’s really, really easy. Just drill a little at a time, checking the depth as you go to ensure it’s at the depth you want.

elk_hntr

FNG
I currently have a Spartan, it’s okay and I just keep it in my pocket while I’m hunting, but I would like to sell it and get the Mtn Gear for a lightweight system. It has more adjustment than the spartan and is lighter. I’d also like to get the Hatch bipod for hunts I’m not as concerned about weight.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thinhor,

the stock is actually out getting painted as we speak, I should have it back in hand in a couple of weeks and I’ll send you a picture ASAP. It’s really, really easy. Just drill a little at a time, checking the depth as you go to ensure it’s at the depth you want.
Did you tape the stock to keep it from splintering or anything like that? Did you use a drill press or a hand drill?