Bipod upgrade?

92xj

WKR
on a HC Speed 300winmag

Currently I run a magpul picatinny bipod mounted to the caldwell sling stud picatinny adapter. Together they weigh in at 15oz. It does everything I need it to do and have zero complaints about the set up. I am always tinkering and am getting an itch to change, but I need some convincing.

I keep looking at the javelin pro tac. I like the leg adjustments on the tac. With my current setup I find myself constantly adjusting each leg using the clicks and don't think I would like going to the twist to lock style legs. The javelin setup comes in at 9oz, which would shave 6 total oz. in the big picture, 6 oz isn't anything, except I just shaved 10 oz on my trip setup, so these 6 more would be a pound. ounces equals pounds, blah blah blah.

That being said, I hate the thought of the bipod being separate from my gun until go time. I enjoy the fact that I don't have to think about finding a bipod, snapping it in place and then start adjusting. buying a holder that attaches elsewhere on the pack or bins harness adds additional weight and also introduces the option of the bipod falling out and losing it and/or stumbling through the process of grabbing it and attaching to the gun when seconds are needed to get a shot off.

Sure there are pros to the javelin, like not having the clunkiness of the bipod on the gun when hiking through thick stuff and not having it on there when shooting from my glassing tripod and packs. But, is it worth it...

What say you folks. Run what I have, that I like and am accustom to or spend $350, get the javelin, shave 6 ounces, then add a few to whatever pouch I need to my harness or pack, and have the worry of losing the bipod or stumbling through the shot process.

(the reason I keep thinking about the stumbling through the process part is I have seen more than one internet hunter fumble the javelin while trying to take a quick shot and miss the animal. You could clearly see the process of walking up on the deer, dropping to knees and wanting to go prone instantly, but then having to grab the bipod and click it into place, which with the nerves flowing, was a multi second challenge for the hunter, which threw off the process and he missed the shot)

I’ll be interested to see opinions and experiences about this. I currently have a Harris style which works ok but adds weight to the gun. I recently bought a 2020 Waypoint and want to add a pic rail/ Arca combo to the M-lok section. I’m considering between a Spartan and Hatch bipods, I like the Hatch due to its height versatility. I typically Spot and Stalk hunt so I’d be putting the bipod on the gun before my “final Approach”, but it would live in the pack/holster most of the time.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The javelin stuff is light, I just hate that attachment piece you need to have to stick the bipod on the gun. I realize you can install a flush mounted one which would be much better but I’ve never tried it.

I have an atlas that attaches to a rail. I like how sturdy it is compared to the javelins I’ve had.

TN2shot07

WKR
I’ve been using a Hatch for a couple years, no issues at all. Attachment is very quick and has plenty of adjustment for up to sitting height.

I had used Harris in the past but never any of the Spartan stuff. The weight of the Spartan is attractive and they seem very well built.

idahodave

WKR
Have the Javelin and love it. All the good of a bipod, minus most of the bad. The “gunsmith” adapter takes a 3/4” Forstner bit and ten minutes. Only way to fly.

dave

Last edited:
I have a javelin pro tac with the adapter that’s built into my rifle stock. The javelin is light and it’s very sturdy. But it is a pain to pack it around. I used it on one mile deer this year so it did serve its purpose. I hunt with lots of sage and this bi pod is useless until I get above the tree line. It’s one more thing you have to remember. I was using a Harris and that worked pretty well but was loud when I pulled the feet out and was on the heavier side. I installed an Arca plate and have done most of my shooting off my tripod. I really only use the javelin when I’m at the range. I think it’s a well built product and it works well if you don’t forget it or if you can keep it handy but you have to weigh the positives with the negatives. Good luck

JFK

WKR
The spartan bipod is nice and attaching it in a few seconds under pressure has not been an issue for me. What I like is that it’s not always there. Just when you need it. There are times when shooting off your pack, off a rock, from a tree or taller sticks make sense and in those case you don’t have a bipod hanging off your rifle. I use the lite model with long legs. You can change the elevation easier/faster by adjusting the butt of your rifle than fiddling around with the leg length of a bipod. I typically use the bipod, then move my bino harness under the but of the rifle for elevation adjustments. Works great.

I can’t remember the name but there is a bipod that is about half the weight and more range of motion. Originally from New Zealand but it looks sweet.
I remembered: MTN Gear

Last edited:

idahodave

WKR
Also, this is what I store mine in. It sits in the right side of my waist belt, almost to the small of my back. Completely out of the way, but within my grasp if I need it in a hurry.

Attachments

• 88F9F0CA-3F8E-43D7-A8BF-460BC39F9C19.jpeg
    88F9F0CA-3F8E-43D7-A8BF-460BC39F9C19.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 52

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yes. JB weld as I recall. Go slow and remove a little at a time and check with adapter until you get it flush with the stock.
Thanks, I might just give them another look. Maybe I’m picky but it was just a flat out nope with their supplied adapter.

Maybe I’ll order that gunsmith adapter and if I can install it, I’ll order a bipod.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I use the Spartan javelin and have both the long legs and short legs ready to be attached in seconds. Long legs on the outside of the pack straddling compression straps. Short legs in my bino harness side pouch. Can have either on the rifle and ready for shots very quickly.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would look at others. They are very light for sure. MTN GEAR, Backlanz are two I really want to try out.

VA2MT

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Pro Tac and thoroughly enjoy it. It’s nice to only have to buy one bipod and simply use the gunsmith installed mount. Keeps it clean and light. It can be a problem when hunting in sage because of the short height. Other than that it’s a nice system and allows you to use on a tripod with a Davros head.