Bipod help

carter33

WKR
Nurse/ stay at home dad
Most of my free time has been dedicated to long range shooting/hunting for the past 9-10 years. I’ve used every high end bipod made (except the Hatch). I’ve seen/used some of them when they were still in prototype stages. Out of them all, I currently own 2 different brands. Harris and Atlas. 95% of the time I’m using a Harris. I’m not sure what the OP means by wanting something more substantial, but I’ve never been in a situation that a Harris (any various model) would not get the job done. Most all of my rifles have pic rail attachments or ARCA rails. On the pic rails, I use the ADM levers for both the Harris and Atlas.
Have you used a tier1? I have been very interested in them. Seems a good compromise between an atlas(heavier) and a javelin bipod(lighter). They are pretty outrageously priced though. I can’t find many reviews though I did see someone had mentioned them on this site once

The bipod from Thunder Beast Arms is the best bipod I’ve shot with. It’s definitely worth taking a look at. It’s in a similar weight class to the Modular Evolution and Atlas bipod. The tilt mechanism is more solid and the adjustments are more precise. Your barrel sits below the apex of the leg angles, as opposed to being at the top/point of the triangle of the legs. There’s no panning feature, which is a good thing, when it comes to squaring up behind the rifle, managing recoil and spotting your own impacts. The legs deploy and retract more efficiently and quicker than other designs. The only downside that I can see is the cost.

On a side note; from my perspective although bipods have their place...it’s not that often you have opportunities to get shots while hunting from the prone. Setting a rifle up to shoot off a tripod and carrying a lightweight bag of some type, gives you a lot more options. I mount a Arca Swiss plate (~2 oz) on my stock, just forward of the action screw. Then carry a Really Right Stuff Anvil 30 ball head on a cut down tripod center column. This setup weighs about the same as a bipod. It’s super quick to pull out the center column with your panning head used for glassing and shove in the center post with the Anvil 30 that you’ll then attach to the rail on your gun. I killed a moose here in Alaska using this setup, while calling/moving on a bull coming to the call. No place to get prone, waist high brush and 376 yards away.

This system will allow you to shoot from the prone, sitting and standing......by simply adjusting the legs on the tripod.

As far as a lightweight bag is concerned. The Armageddon Gear Pint Sized Game Changer with Git-Lite fill (~16 oz) is really versatile. It can be used as a rear bag, over a branch/rock or any other way you can think of to support the rifle. Again, from my perspective, the weight is justified by the versatility of this bag. On 10-12 day backpack sheep hunts, I’ll always carry this bag, it’s worth the weight to me.

If I had to prioritize, thinking in term of versatility, weight and likelihood of use while hunting, it’d be; 1) Bag, 2) Tripod, 3) Bipod

Not saying this is a solution for everyone, only that it’s worked well for me.

Dunky

WKR
Someone else mentioned this but you can get a rail adapter that replaces the Harris swivel mount. I got one by adm works well and simple to install.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I like a bipod to cover all heights from low prone to a high kneeling position. I've used a lot of them and the Hatch Outwest bipod is by far my favorite so far. Does everything you want and attaches via pic rail.

I can’t tell on their website, but does the out west pan?

We run the rugged ridge and really like them. Stable decent weight. Also, I have a javelin for my ultra light setup. It works great for its intended purpose.