Binos vs Spotter

binos are all you need, I don't even put my spotter in the truck for CO archery elk anymore. Had a really clear day up pretty high this fall, my brother and I were able to see elk on a distant mountain, according to OnX it was ~6 miles away. We were using Zeiss victory sf 10x42 and meopta 12x50s.

hiway_99

FNG
There's always the option of renting a spotter if you don't wanna spend the cash on alpha glass. I believe there's a member here that rents gear. I don't remember the company name though.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
I have a spotter set up at home for yard deer, turkeys and song birds.
I have never taken the spotter elk hunting, rifle or archery, and I've never once wished I had it.
With that alpha glass binocular you are good to go. Save your money for the tag.

The only hunt I could see the benefit of a spotter is sheep and possibly moose but I've never hunted those species and at my age that tag is not possible.

atmat

WKR
Don’t worry about the spotter. Get yourself a good tripod and pan head head, as well as a way to connect your binos to it.

I run a Slik 624 with Wiser Precision pan head. That setup runs <$500. Aziak bino clamp for $30, and your binos will still fit in your bino harness. You can buy a cheap shooting V on Amazon for $10 if you want. All in, great lightweight glassing combo for $500.

centershot

Lil-Rokslider
I use my spotter regularly bow or rifle hunting elk (and mule deer). It is a step saver extrordinare. You may (or may not) be able to see elk milling around at several miles with 10x42's but you won't be able to see enough detail to know if you want to go after them or not. When they are laying down, they can disappear in minimal cover and you will likely need more than 10X to find them.

Bushnell Forge 15x is GTG. Much prefer them over my Razor HD spotter, power needs to go lower on the spotter. 15x Is enough at any PRS distance I have encountered, 20x and above on many spotters is too much, FOV is too small to watch multiple targets.

Jbxl20

WKR
Staoptics Binocular Tripod Adapter Quick Release 1/4-20Inch Threading Detachable Universal Mount for 8x32 8x36 8x40 8x42 10x50 12x60 15x60 15x70 20x80 25x70 Binoculars etc Model https://a.co/d/bRVCLWU

I don’t think I would put swaros on it, but I did buy one of these off recommendations from another thread on here. I Haven’t used it a lot in the field but it does its job at a good price

ZackP

WKR
As mentioned above, tripod over all else. You would be amazed what a difference a tripod makes with ANY bino. It may seem redundant glassing the same areas over and over, but it truly will help you find more animals.

Also, I do not necessarily agree with the above. People have budgets in mind, and not everyone can afford 2k on a spotter, or can even deem that it is worth it depending on how much they hunt every year. Last I checked gas and grocery prices weren’t doing anyone a favor. People don’t need sh** on for their suggestions.

With that being said I have tried the Ares UHD and it is “good” for the money. Much preferred over the Gen 1 Razor to my eyes. It will be a decent verification tool (depending on weather) up to 35X power but not much more. Just keep in mind OP, there is a lot of knowledge on this forum, much of which has helped me out in the past. But you will, one day, want to upgrade. The choice to either spend the $500 now, or wait for another day and put that $500 towards higher end glass is on you.

So I am planning my first Western Hunt this September. The plan is Colorado for Elk and we will be mostly day hunting while out there.

I was planning to buy a relatively cheap Spotter to compliment my Leupold 10x42 BX5 binos while out there. I know buy once cry once but that is not in the budget as we have a good amount of gear to buy before the trip so I am fully aware that ill end up upgrading in the future.

Then a miracle happened and I won a set of Swarovski 10x42 NL Pure binos.... Fricken pumped and super grateful but now the dilemma! Because of the quality of that glass, if I buy a $500 spotter is it likely that I wont even use it since I will have the NL pures out there with me?

Do i spend extra money on a tripod vs what i was going to spend? Save the money and put it towards other gear we need? Not really sure how much glassing to expect for day hunting elk in Colorado archery season as we are just cutting our teeth out west.

Open to suggestions!

Had a cheap Leupold spotter, I packed in a mule deer hunt(inherited from Dad). I was pissed at quality compared to my Range ELs I damn near let spotter on mountain!!!

The Pure Binos will outglass 70% of spotters on market!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i don't think you need a spotter for your hunt. i also think carrying a tripod is a bitch! i use a head high walking stick to steady binocs while standing and my knees while sitting. i have a vortex diamondback angled spotter (60x i think) that is adequate for my needs. i only use it to glass high country mule deer (sitting in camp). with the quality of your binocs i don't think you'll gain anything with a spotter that isn't a few thousand $ like someone said earlier. good luck

bushman76

FNG
So I am planning my first Western Hunt this September. The plan is Colorado for Elk and we will be mostly day hunting while out there.

I was planning to buy a relatively cheap Spotter to compliment my Leupold 10x42 BX5 binos while out there. I know buy once cry once but that is not in the budget as we have a good amount of gear to buy before the trip so I am fully aware that ill end up upgrading in the future.

Then a miracle happened and I won a set of Swarovski 10x42 NL Pure binos.... Fricken pumped and super grateful but now the dilemma! Because of the quality of that glass, if I buy a $500 spotter is it likely that I wont even use it since I will have the NL pures out there with me?

Do i spend extra money on a tripod vs what i was going to spend? Save the money and put it towards other gear we need? Not really sure how much glassing to expect for day hunting elk in Colorado archery season as we are just cutting our teeth out west.

Open to suggestions!
Congrats on winning the NL binos. If I were in your shoes, I will get a tripod instead of spending extra money buying binos I won't need.

rootacres

WKR
With this being your first western hunt Im guessing you won't be needing to judge a bull down to the inch? Also, you mentioned going in September, Im assuming this is archery?

So a couple things come to mind. Archery hunting elk in September, you'll likely hear them before seeing them. With you winning the swaros I would take the $500 you were going to spend on the spotter, go on the classifieds here and pickup a good tripod. Like a SLIK 634/624, Siuri, Promaster Xc-525 etc. And also go buy an outdoorsman's Bino adapter and stud. Those binos on a tripod will do far more for you than a spotter IMO.

I too was in your position, I bought the tripod and spotter. I only ended up using the spotter for phone scope footage otherwise I used binos 95%+ of the time in 2018 and 2019 on hunts. A couple years ago I upgrade to Leica Geovid HD-Bs. I took them on a solo coues hunt in 2021. I used those premium 10x42 binos and left my $500 15x binos and $800 spotter in the truck. High quality glass on a tripod is all most of us will ever really need IMO.

*If you get to the point where you're trying to discern a 150" muley from a 170" muley at 2000 yds. Now a spotter makes sense, but a $500 spotter will struggle to complete that job.

grfox92

WKR
Under no circumstances do you need a spotting scope on an archery elk hunt.

Unless your a long time elk hunter in a limited entry unit looking for a very specific class of animal do not spend this years budget on a spotter.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk