Binos vs Spotter

So I am planning my first Western Hunt this September. The plan is Colorado for Elk and we will be mostly day hunting while out there.

I was planning to buy a relatively cheap Spotter to compliment my Leupold 10x42 BX5 binos while out there. I know buy once cry once but that is not in the budget as we have a good amount of gear to buy before the trip so I am fully aware that ill end up upgrading in the future.

Then a miracle happened and I won a set of Swarovski 10x42 NL Pure binos.... Fricken pumped and super grateful but now the dilemma! Because of the quality of that glass, if I buy a $500 spotter is it likely that I wont even use it since I will have the NL pures out there with me?

Do i spend extra money on a tripod vs what i was going to spend? Save the money and put it towards other gear we need? Not really sure how much glassing to expect for day hunting elk in Colorado archery season as we are just cutting our teeth out west.

Open to suggestions!

Mojave

WKR
$500 isn't the end of the world. You'll use a decent spotter and it will help you figure out what you need to know instead of walking 2 miles to figure it out.

The Athlon Ares 65mm is a great spotter and is almost in your budget.

Doug from CameralandNY has the Athlon Ares 65mm for $519.

The Athlon Ares is exceptional for the price.

$500 isn't the end of the world. You'll use a decent spotter and it will help you figure out what you need to know instead of walking 2 miles to figure it out.

The Athlon Ares 65mm is a great spotter and is almost in your budget.

Doug from CameralandNY has the Athlon Ares 65mm for $519.

The Athlon Ares is exceptional for the price.

Did you miss the part that he has 10x42 NL’s? He’s not going to see anything with that shitty Chinese glass that he won’t with his Swaros. The resolution more than makes up for difference in magnification.

Mojave

WKR
Really depends on where you are hunting. In Juniper type country it wouldn't help much. Especially in the southern Gila.

If it was a lot more open, it would be a great option.

Black timber of course you don't need one.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
I would never carry around a tripod & spotter for archery elk in September but that's just me. You said you have a lot of other gear you need to buy so if i was you I'd put it towards that, especially if you still need good boots, pack or sleep system !!
Boots I've got, pack I've got but still have to get a frame. Sleep system I don't have but wont need for this hunt. Its definitely on the list for future hunts though as the long term plan is to do some full on backpack hunts but we are easing our way into it for now.

Frame, game bags, tripod, some clothing items etc. are on the "must haves" for now but also hard to find a day hunting gear list out there or to really know what is necessity vs a convenience for this trip. We are staying with a local guy out there so the shelter and sleep system can wait for now but again slowly working to build up the full gear list to do backpack hunts as soon as 2024. We are just whitetail hunters from the Michigan so lots to learn.

Really depends on where you are hunting. In Juniper type country it wouldn't help much. Especially in the southern Gila.

I’m guessing you haven’t spent much time with alpha tier binos. Resolution is king to seeing stuff a long ways away. I don’t care if it’s a 100x spotting scope, a alpha tier 10x bino is always going to see more at a distance than a bargain bin spotter. Buying either of those spotters you’re recommending would be an absolute waste of money. If he wants a spotter that’s going to out perform what he already has he’s going to spend $2K+.

Challis

FNG
All great advise from others. I would just encourage you to look for a good tripod that is lightweight (SLIK 624 for example) and a bino adapter that works with the tripod head. The outdoorsman bino stud and adapter works great but now others have entered the game and might be less expensive.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
All great advise from others. I would just encourage you to look for a good tripod that is lightweight (SLIK 624 for example) and a bino adapter that works with the tripod head. The outdoorsman bino stud and adapter works great but now others have entered the game and might be less expensive.
Curious your (and others) thoughts on this set up that is currently on sale at camera land? 824 vs 624? and this head vs the well known VA-5. This seems legit for the price but I have no experience.

I'm searching through bino adapter info as we speak... lots of options out there like you said. hoping to find something cheaper than the outdoorsman but also want something that works lol

tdhanses

WKR

Not sure where he is going in CO but most places I’ve hunted a spotter isn’t need, binos on tripod are key though.

tdhanses

WKR
Curious your (and others) thoughts on this set up that is currently on sale at camera land? 824 vs 624? and this head vs the well known VA-5. This seems legit for the price but I have no experience.

I'm searching through bino adapter info as we speak... lots of options out there like you said. hoping to find something cheaper than the outdoorsman but also want something that works lol
Call Doug and talk to him, he’ll shoot you straight and not push you to buy or spend more then you want.

The 824 is almost 4lbs without a head I believe, the 624 is almost 2lbs without a head. The head in that package is 1lb, not too heavy. For binos you don’t need a 4lb tripod but if the price is right and your ok packing an extra 2lbs daily it probably isn’t a bad option.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
Not sure where he is going in CO but most places I’ve hunted a spotter isn’t need, binos on tripod are key though.
Didn't want to fire people up with a Unit thread or how to approach the hunt, go scout and do the work yourself etc. so that's why I didn't say the specific area. But S-SW Colorado. Units 77,78 & 771. With that being said ill take any advice I can get regarding the optics/tripods or elk hunting here in general. Thanks to everyone who has already chimed in.

I linked a tripod set up above that I am eyeballing on sale at camera land but I know many people seem to recommend the SLIK 624 vs the 824.

tdhanses

WKR
Didn't want to fire people up with a Unit thread or how to approach the hunt, go scout and do the work yourself etc. so that's why I didn't say the specific area. But S-SW Colorado. Units 77,78 & 771. With that being said ill take any advice I can get regarding the optics/tripods or elk hunting here in general. Thanks to everyone who has already chimed in.

I linked a tripod set up above that I am eyeballing on sale at camera land but I know many people seem to recommend the SLIK 624 vs the 824.
No spotter needed there.

For my binos I run a 624 and a RRS ball head, all in under 2lbs. But for the price that 824 combo could be worth it.

For your first Western hunt I would not invest in a spotter. Those Swaro 10x42s will do you well, especially since you are not a trophy hunter. If you end up hunting the West regularly, a good spotter will be a nice tool to have in your arsenal.

Last edited: