Binos comparable to Swaro SLCs

Are Swaro SLCs still the gold standard in the $1500 range? Looking for a forever pair of 10x42s. Is it worth looking for used SLCs or another brand in this price range (new)? I see some ELs coming in used in the classified sometimes as well.

Antares

WKR
You might consider the Meopta Meostars. They're in that price range and very good as well.

Edit: To be clear, Swaro is the best money can buy, but if you want to look at alternatives before you commit, I think Meoptas are worth considering (I own both).

Last edited:

OspreyZB

Lil-Rokslider
Can't go wrong with an SLC HD. Leica UVHD/UVHD+ and Zeiss FL are the others I would consider.

You can argue Swaro vs. Leica all day long. What it has come down to for me is price. More specifically, what brand can I get the best deal on? For me, that’s been Leica. I am happy with Leicas, but you would never buy Swaros then wish you’d have bought something different. I think Zeiss is a pretty darn good 3rd. If you have the ability to save up a bit, I wouldn’t look for binos outside of the big 3.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Leica Trinovids for 1K are a steal at that price. I find them to be the best 1k bino available and hand fit is exceptional. I would buy them over the SLC for sure. After that you have the Zeiss Victory and NL Pure which are well over 2l

nobody

WKR
Check out the Leica Trinovid (new) and Ultravid (used, when they come up). I would buy either before ever considering Swaro, even if the swaros were gifted to me.

Also the Meopta meopro airs get really high praise, but no experience there. If you have an open mind, the Vortex Razor UHD is worth checking out too.

Lots of good options nowadays, no reason to just jump on the swaro train blindly, unless your eyes tell you to. Personally, my eyes hate swaro glass, including the NL’s. You need to look through everything and let your eyes tell you what they’re saying.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can argue Swaro vs. Leica all day long. What it has come down to for me is price. More specifically, what brand can I get the best deal on? For me, that’s been Leica. I am happy with Leicas, but you would never buy Swaros then wish you’d have bought something different. I think Zeiss is a pretty darn good 3rd. If you have the ability to save up a bit, I wouldn’t look for binos outside of the big 3.
Go try the Zeiss Victory.

CO2130

WKR
I got a pair of Khales Helia S 10x42’s a few months back. There’s a few threads out there on them and they’re the SLC’s rebranded by Khales(owned by Swaro). I really love them so far and all in with shipping/fees was a touch over $1200. I also really like the Trinovids for the $1k range with Meoptas and Conquest HD’s not too far back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunNavy337

Lil-Rokslider
I got a pair of Khales Helia S 10x42’s a few months back. There’s a few threads out there on them and they’re the SLC’s rebranded by Khales(owned by Swaro). I really love them so far and all in with shipping/fees was a touch over $1200. I also really like the Trinovids for the $1k range with Meoptas and Conquest HD’s not too far back.

I almost bought the helia s today from Optics trade. Who did you purchase yours from? Tks

I've owned SLC's (2 pairs), Meostar HD's, Nikon Monarch HG's, Kahles, Leica Trinovid, Zeiss Conquest HD's and many more.

For my money, the Conquest HD's were the winner, even over the SLC's. But the SLC's were the only ones that made it a close competition. Meostar HD's are very nice but stupid heavy and large and the optics just don't hang with the Conquest HD's or SLC's for all-day glassing. Meopros are junk chinese bins that aren't worthy of the Meopta name IMO.

Best value IMO are Conquest HD's followed by a used pair of older model SLC's. My brother has a pair with the black and green armoring and old style diopter adjustment and they are so close to the latest pairs of SLC's it's not worth spending the extra $700 IMO.

The only edge I'd give the SLC's over the Conquest HD's is resale value. Because there are so many Swaro fanboys out there, one will always buy whatever you have.

I own(ed) numerous binoculars (just have a passion for optics), including 3x versions of SLCs. Of the Swarovskis the 42mm SLC is my hands-down favorite, very crisp and detailed view with great depth of field and exceptional handling. Not a huge fan of the focus mechanism as I find it very slow and a bit unrefined - but it isn’t a deal-breaker.

Just took a bunch of my binoculars out for a spin this morning and compared them directly with the SLCs. Taking my Zeiss SFs out of consideration as they are in a higher price bracket, I found the new Zeiss SFLs compete very well optically, are lighter, IMO handle slightly better, and have a better focuser than the SLCs. I’m not slamming the SLCs as they are still a gem and I still very much enjoy using them. But this thread is asking if there is anything in their price range that competes. To me, the SFLs are a solid “new purchase” alternative. Personally I would not buy the Kahles Helia S as it is not for sale in the USA - to be completely legal someone needs to pay the import duty, and service might be a bit complicated - not to mention it is just plain ugly.

Know there are many Maven fans here (me too). But after having multiple Maven models side-by-side with the SLC, I find the SLC view just a smidge sharper, easier, deeper. To me, the SLC is an entry-level alpha. If looking for incredible value and close to SLC performance the Mavens and Zeiss Conquest are serious contenders. IMO the new SFL is the direct competitor in the SLC’s former price range.

I own(ed) numerous binoculars (just have a passion for optics), including 3x versions of SLCs. Of the Swarovskis the 42mm SLC is my hands-down favorite, very crisp and detailed view with great depth of field and exceptional handling. Not a huge fan of the focus mechanism as I find it very slow and a bit unrefined - but it isn’t a deal-breaker.

Just took a bunch of my binoculars out for a spin this morning and compared them directly with the SLCs. Taking my Zeiss SFs out of consideration as they are in a higher price bracket, I found the new Zeiss SFLs compete very well optically, are lighter, IMO handle slightly better, and have a better focuser than the SLCs. I’m not slamming the SLCs as they are still a gem and I still very much enjoy using them. But this thread is asking if there is anything in their price range that competes. To me, the SFLs are a solid “new purchase” alternative. Personally I would not buy the Kahles Helia S as it is not for sale in the USA - to be completely legal someone needs to pay the import duty, and service might be a bit complicated - not to mention it is just plain ugly.

Know there are many Maven fans here (me too). But after having multiple Maven models side-by-side with the SLC, I find the SLC view just a smidge sharper, easier, deeper. To me, the SLC is an entry-level alpha. If looking for incredible value and close to SLC performance the Mavens and Zeiss Conquest are serious contenders. IMO the new SFL is the direct competitor in the SLC’s former price range.
I'd agree that dollar for dollar, the SFL's are essentially the lightweight replacement for the SLC's but with better ergos and focus wheel.

Anyone play with the new zeiss sfl?
Buddy has a pair and I handled them for a bit. So light they feel like a cheap binocular until you look through them. Focus wheel easily beats the SLC but then so does the focus wheel on my wife's Bushnell Legend M's. Birders are glomming on to the SFL's if that tells anyone anything. Most of them can afford anything they want.

Anyone play with the new zeiss sfl?
Very pleased with mine. IMO, Zeiss was targeting the market space recently vacated by the SLCs and they seem to have nailed it with the SFL. Keeping in mind that there is no perfect binocular for all purposes, the SFLs combine superior optics / superb saturation, in a great handling and lightweight package.

Will Swarovski strike back with a new entry in this segment? My guess is they eventually will. It was competition in the premium class brought us the SLC, EL, NL, FL, SF, SFL, ULTV HD+, and Noctivid - so, I’m all for it. Then it was the huge $ gap that gave birth to the high-performing mid-grades = Maven, Conquest HD, Tract, Monarch HG, etc. So, why shouldn’t there also be competition at the lower end of the premium class? The consumer wins.