Binos and rangefinder or bino/rangefinder combo?

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get some binos and a rangefinder before season starts. Budgeting about $1500 for both.

Question is, do I get separate units or go with a combo?

Was looking into some maven binos, but I'm lost on a rangefinder. Would ideally like to get one that does angle compensation too.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Look for the Revic Bino/rangefinder thread. Your best bet under $1500 is prob the Leica Geovid R. I looked through some the other week and preferred the glass over the Revic, but wanted the additional functions.

manitou1

WKR
Leica makes a great stand alone rangefinder.
My RF/bino combo has a built in ballistic caculator so it is quite a bit more than your limit... but there are some RF binos within your cap.

manitou1

WKR
Look for the Revic Bino/rangefinder thread. Your best bet under $1500 is prob the Leica Geovid R. I looked through some the other week and preferred the glass over the Revic, but wanted the additional functions.
I would consider this recommendation.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i tried out some sig's first rangefinding binos. they ranged well and were fun to play around with...but im left handed and left eye dominant and i wanted to use them for bow hunting but the buttons are on the wrong side for me to hold my bow and range my target. they got sold.

SDHNTR

WKR
If you rifle hunt, get a combo unit. If you bow hunt, a separate handheld RF is easier to use in tight quarters with minimal movement and noise.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
I picked up a pair of the new Gen 2 Sig Kilo 10ks. I have high hopes for them.

Not only do you get the bino/rangefinder in one, but you get ballistics too. You can find a pair of the old ones used for your price but some/most people do not like the blue tint to them. The gen 2s seemed to fix that problem but they're more expensive.

Go to a bass pro or cabelas and try them all out. Mine has a pretty damn good selection. The Vortex offering is in your price range as well but I've heard it's computation time is painfully slow.

In this day and age, I see no reason to have two separate units. That seems to be more of a hindrance than any sort of benefit.

OP
maxx075

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input! This (and the other thread) gives me a few options to check out.

I have been researching the Leica's so I'll give them a harder look. And with the Sigs, I wasn't sure if the glass quality was up to par with other strictly hunting companies glass as I've read they are great for target/pro shooting, but maybe not for actually sitting behind them all day in the woods.

JGRaider

WKR
I picked up a pair of the new Gen 2 Sig Kilo 10ks. I have high hopes for them.

Go to a bass pro or cabelas and try them all out. Mine has a pretty damn good selection. The Vortex offering is in your price range as well but I've heard it's computation time is painfully slow.

In this day and age, I see no reason to have two separate units. That seems to be more of a hindrance than any sort of benefit.
The Sig, Fury AB, and GPO will kick Leica's ass in the RF department, but not optically. The user interface of the Fury AB is superb, and not sure what your definition of "painfully slow" is, but I get ballistic readouts after ranging in 1-3 seconds.