Binocular VS Monocular

I'm exploring different optics in my setup and am interested in switching out my binos for a monocular.

For whatever reason, I always have difficulty seeing out of both lenses clearly with binos and find myself always closing one eye. I'm also attracted to a monocular because they are less expensive, and more compact.

Has anyone else had this same issue?

What are some good monocular options?

If you are closing one eye you need better binoculars.......
Start with a quality set of binos and you will scrap the monocular idea

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
Monocular equals garbage, from the ones I have seen. I think the best of the best are usually found in a box of Cracker Jacks....... I have never seen even a decent one.

VernAK

WKR
I use a quality bino for big game but carry an 8x Vortex mono for waterfowl hunting as it takes less room and allows me to scan the horizon well enough to find approaching flocks on the horizon.

bcimport

WKR
If all you’re looking for is a quick look to verify what you’re seeing then a decent monocular is Ok. If you’re planning to search out animals the monocular isn’t the right tool for the job.

rayporter

WKR
poor quality binoculars will have one tube will point one way and the other tube will point somewhere else.
the eye strain causes headaches.

I have carried a monocular for 25 years. pretty handy to have in shirt pocket- it gets used a lot that way.

CLibka

Lil-Rokslider
I'm exploring different optics in my setup and am interested in switching out my binos for a monocular.

For whatever reason, I always have difficulty seeing out of both lenses clearly with binos and find myself always closing one eye. I'm also attracted to a monocular because they are less expensive, and more compact.

Has anyone else had this same issue?

What are some good monocular options?
Sounds like you need to adjust the diopter on your current glass maybe? Most humans have different vision in each eye, so adjusting the focus in the different barrels is necessary. Have you tried messing with that?

OP
proarcher16
Sounds like you need to adjust the diopter on your current glass maybe? Most humans have different vision in each eye, so adjusting the focus in the different barrels is necessary. Have you tried messing with that?

Truth be told, I know that part of my problem is crap optics. I have a pair of Nikon Aculons that fog bad and a pair of cheap-O's off Amazon.

I mainly bowhunt deep in the woods in eastern NC so I rarely ever actually need optics but I am planning some hunts in the Western NC mountains and a Colorado archery elk hunt so I'm trying to figure out what my optic needs actually are.

Blue72

WKR
I played around with monoculars, because I am almost legally blind in one eye. But I noticed I still see more detail and a wider field of view in binoculars even with the bad eye.

Like others mentioned it’s only worth it for quick looks. Normally in the form of a spotting scope

Otherwise embrace the benefits of bino views

I would try to find a nice optics shop and let them show you how to set your binos up, and look through some good ones.

I have a vortex monocular after being persuaded by the price and size and havent used it again after the first hunt, don't care for it.