Bino upgrade

Cellis

FNG
I’m looking up upgrade my binos. Right now I have a really cheap ones (barska Blackhawk10x42). I mostly archery hunt Illinois whitetail but this year was my first year going out west and hunting elk with my bow. I plan on going out west to hunt every year now. Mostly with a bow but things can change. Also it won’t always be elk but for the next few years that’s the plan. I was looking at the mavens b1.2 10x42 or the maven b610x50. Or should I save up more and get swarovski binoculars? Or is their something else I should be looking at.

RussDXT

WKR
If swaros are a consideration swaros are the answer. I bought mine for elk hunting but have really enjoyed them eastern whitetail hunting as well. Nl pure 10x42 btw.

Sixgunz

FNG
I agree with Russ. Swarovski is the gold standard.

I'm looking for a new pair of Swarovski 10x42s myself.

I am not as technically savvy as most others seem to be on here when it comes to optic reviews. I can tell you this. I also own a pair of 10x42 Kahles binos that are around 10 years old. One night my parents and my family were on a sxs ride at sun set. My dad and I both compared my Kahles to his 10x42 Swarovski SLCs (that I regrettably sold him) as the sun went down, and long after. The SLCs were the clear winner, hands down, when it came to light gathering. Both are similar in every other aspect to my eyes.

Yeah, Swaroski is the right answer. That being said, I was looking through a buddy’s leicas the other day and was impressed. You will have that checked off the gear list and won’t feel the need to upgrade again in a couple years. Buy some used and you won’t need to save as long, I’ve seen plenty on here but The other day I saw that outdoorsmans has optics auctions for used swaros occasionally too.

Jeffb717

FNG
Leicas geovid . Great glass and great rangefinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a new pair ( pair? why do we call them pairs? ) of Swaro El 10x42 a few years back just because had to have a set after having owned a dozen other lesser kinds. No argument that they are the top of the ladder. But I am seriously considering trying out a set of Tract Toric's. If they pass the test I can sell my pair and for same bucks get a 8x for carry and a 15x for the tripod. Unless you are a serious birder or mountain hunt guide are you really going to be able to notice any minor differences between top tier glass? from what I hear the tracts have comparable contrast to my swaro's. Worth a look and they are on sale right now.
ps: I would not recommend getting built in rangefinder as you might get outdated in technology with a lifetime set of binos.

Go with what makes the most sense for where you primarily hunt. Grab a tripod and head, plus a means of attaching the binoculars, for when you hunt “out west”.

At a later date look at adding a new optic, or two, specifically for hunting “out west” after you get a better idea of what will work for you person.

Hoodie

WKR
I'll play devil's advocate.

Go with a good pair of $1k range binos (or anything between $700-$1200). These days that price range is good enough to be a lifetime bino and you'll have saved enough money to buy a non-resident elk tag. Optics are usually not as critical for elk hunting as they are for mule deer. Particularly for most archery elk hunting. Experience is very critical. Less money on gear = more money for tags/gas to get destination.

Recommendations from less expensive to more expensive:

Tract Toric UHD

Refurbished Nikon Monarch HG

Any Maven B Series (for primarily archery elk hunting I'd look at the B1.2 8x42 and B2 9x45)

Meopta Meostar

Other well reviewed options I haven't had the opportunity to look through:

GPO Passion HD
Kowa Genesis