Bino tripod

SwankB22

FNG
What’s everyone’s go to setup for tripod and bino adapters? Getting vortex binos, was curious what adapters everyone’s using to connect to binos.

Just got a Sirui ST 124 and a smallrig head. Like it so far but it’s my first tripod set up.

Vortex is fine but definitely look at Leupold and other brands. Try them out if you can, the quality of glass may surprise or disappoint you.

nobody

WKR
I’ve been using a vortex summit carbon 2 with a smallrig “fluid” Amazon special tripod head since 2022. Had another head on it before that. I love the darn thing and would buy the whole setup today without thinking twice. I would take it on any bajillion dollar sheep hunt or specialty tag and never regret it or question my decision. Love the small form factor, light weight, supports my binos and 65 or 85mm spotter like a champ, and the vortex lifetime warranty is a huge bonus. Idk if tricer or Sirui have a lifetime warranty, but I feel like it makes sense for a tripod.

I highly recommend the setup for anyone looking for a seated height lightweight backpacking tripod.

EDIT TO ADD: I pair this app with a cheap cradle style bino adapter off Amazon. I’ve tried the post style ones from multiple sources, as well as a Swarovski branded one, and I just didn’t like them. Bought this one on a whim and it’s all I’ve used since 2020:

Last edited:

FNG
So as with most things hunting, there is not going to be a one-size-fits-all answer to this question.

The right setup for you will depend on how you intend to use the system. If your typical glassing session involves a short walk from your vehicle then you should get a tripod that's big and heavy enough to minimize wind shake and can hold and stabilize a large optic since weight is less of a factor.

If you tend to look for every possible way to cut weight from your pack because you are more geared towards Western back country hunts, then you're going to need a lightweight system. Weight will be a primary factor.

If you're like me and your hunts resemble all of these, then you will need to either:

Get two systems, one heavier system for truck hunts and another for backcountry use or,

Get a single lightweight system and use it for everything, being aware that if you want to use larger, heavier optics your tripod will be a limiting factor in your glassing experience.

You will find very limited success using a big, heavy glassing system in the mountains, once you experience using a lightweight system.

Personally, I have made a total mess of this and I am on my fourth or fifth tripod system. I finally accepted that I need multiple systems so I have a Sirui ST-124 tripod with VA5 fluid head that will be my "truck rig" and I have a Tricer BC and LP pan head coming in this week for "backcountry use." The Tricer setup will be half the weight of the Sirui system.