Bino Harness/Pouch

When I pull the binos my pouch doesn't slide down. I can set my binos in one handed. I have the bottom tight but doesn't restrict breathing

SDHNTR

WKR
When I pull the binos my pouch doesn't slide down. I can set my binos in one handed. I have the bottom tight but doesn't restrict breathing
I must be a deep breather then. In order to get it tight enough that it doesn't slip down and I can put the glasses back in one handed, I have to have it really tight. Fine when cruising, but restrictive when chasing.

MattB

WKR
I guess the question would be, so what if it slips? I do not know if mine or not - don't know and don't care.

Ad I know what you mean and it would be a good idea. Mine only slips a tad when I have just a shirt on, any other layers and I don't have a problem. I would suggest tryin it higher and lower on your chest and find a sweet spot. I had issues using one hand till I did this.

SDHNTR

WKR
I guess the question would be, so what if it slips? I do not know if mine or not - don't know and don't care.
If/when it slips down you can't get the glasses fully back in the pouch without using both hands, or at least fussing with it. I agree that it is workable, it's just my opinion that fussing with it is annoying and the fact that Kuiu could have easily improved upon the design is equally annoying.

Mtnboy

WKR
It doesn't get much love here, but I REALLY like my Oregon Packworks Bino Bro...the lid folds the right way, it's quiet, it doesn't bounce around, completely protects your binos...it's a underrated system in my opinion.

LaHunter

WKR
I've used the FHF for the past year and really like it. No bounce, protects binos well, easy access, fairly low profile for a full cover design, and you can hang your range finder pouch on the harness. Also, it is easy to unclip the binos from the straps if needed.

Had a FHF for a couple years, switched to the KUIU, will be switching back asap. I thought that the pluses with the KUIU (quiet, flips forward, pretty) would outweigh the minuses (the fact that the stupid thing slips down when the binos are out and it takes two hands to put them back.) but it did not.

I have tried both sizes of the KUIU with different binos and every tension/layering/sizing option there is.... to say that it is simple to put in with one hand without looking down is delusional at best. It works, but I will take the few things I didn't like about the FHF over the KUIU all day. I was shed hunting all weekend with my kuiu and left it hanging out of the pouch most of the time, I was ready to leave it on the mountain.

to each his own I guess.

FWIW I have tried crooked horn, badlands, Sitka, s4, fhf an KUIU. I will give kuiu second place.... but its a ways behind the FHF. I will soon have a thread selling the s4, kuiu, and Sitka. Badlands ended up in the trash when I moved, thing was MASSIVE.

Joe

what do you mean? If it slips and you have a pack on, you have to pull the bino straps hard to get it back up into place, or lift and tighten to point of not being able to breathe. if you don't then you have to use two hands to put it back.

Joe

SDHNTR

WKR
I'm with ya squeekieslayer! I wish the guys at Kuiu would read this thread as the fix would be so easy. Simply fashion some additional top straps, like the FHF. Then you'd have as near to perfect as I can think of. I too find it realy annoying to fight with the thing when some simple field testing and researching of a competitor would have revealed a very easy fix.

By the same token, I wish FHF would read this thread and make a system out of quieter fabric and with a lid that opened downward.

MattB

WKR
what do you mean? If it slips and you have a pack on, you have to pull the bino straps hard to get it back up into place, or lift and tighten to point of not being able to breathe. if you don't then you have to use two hands to put it back.

Joe

Interesting, I used mine on a 10 day backpack hunt last July/August and do not recall any slippage with a pack on, as the pack pressure against my back held the harness in place. Without a pack, I experienced the slippage but a slight tug on the bincoulars is enough to get it pack into place where I could slip the binos back into the cover. I have the benefit (or misfortune ;-) of having used a similar homegrown system up to when I got the Kuiu, so I am probably more used to/accomodating of the inconvenience factor and can definately see that this product may be more polarizing than others.

It would be a very simple/inexpensive exercise to modify the harness to act like some others on the market by sewing in webbing to connect the shoulder strap and the case.

I'm with ya squeekieslayer! I wish the guys at Kuiu would read this thread as the fix would be so easy. Simply fashion some additional top straps, like the FHF. Then you'd have as near to perfect as I can think of. I too find it realy annoying to fight with the thing when some simple field testing and researching of a competitor would have revealed a very easy fix.

By the same token, I wish FHF would read this thread and make a system out of quieter fabric and with a lid that opened downward.

I wonder how much KUIU will be watching this thread now hahaha

Joe

Interesting, I used mine on a 10 day backpack hunt last July/August and do not recall any slippage with a pack on, as the pack pressure against my back held the harness in place. Without a pack, I experienced the slippage but a slight tug on the bincoulars is enough to get it pack into place where I could slip the binos back into the cover. I have the benefit (or misfortune ;-) of having used a similar homegrown system up to when I got the Kuiu, so I am probably more used to/accomodating of the inconvenience factor and can definately see that this product may be more polarizing than others.

It would be a very simple/inexpensive exercise to modify the harness to act like some others on the market by sewing in webbing to connect the shoulder strap and the case.

My problem wasn't while walking around and viewing for short bursts... but if I sat down and glassed (knees on my elbows) the thing slid down a bit, then I stand up and it stuck down there. I think they were headed the right direction, but just like everything KUIU does, they skipped the true r and d phase and went straight into production. A few simple fixes could have made it very very good. Also, I have better binos than my friend, and when he wants I sometimes I just detach them and use them loose. If you unhook the kuiu, you better not move or be a contortionist to be able to put it back on without taking it completely off and starting from scratch.

Joe

I know just what you are saying and agree 100%. I have thought about adding it myself. I have even thought about sending it to someone that could add it in. I truly found the kuiu to be better for me than the badlands and FHF that I had previously... I thought it was more comfortable, quieter, more compact and lighter, and I like the system for getting them in and out. I just hate that I have to have it just a bit tighter than I like so that it doesn't slip. That one FHF feature would make the kuiu my perfect bino harness.

The Kuiu gets it almost right, IMO, but not quite. To me this would be so easy to get 100% right. I'm about to start cutting and sewing myself and I don't even know how. Can some one tell me what would not be perfect about the Kuiu if it had top pouch attachment straps and separate straps for the glasses, like FHF? Kuiu, fix it please! You are oh so close to perfect! The one strap around the chest doesn't cut it! A little extra expense with another strap and you nail it!

Last edited:
This is very true about KUIU. Both the skipping R&D (when I put on the harness I thought right away... how did someone not test this and think man a strap here would make this much better, and when I put on their tiburon top which was so close to being awesome I thought I seriously must be the first person to put this on and move my arms around cause no way they would have sent these out if they knew about this) and also the not moving a muscle if you detach the binos from the harness is very true. Both things drive me crazy!

My problem wasn't while walking around and viewing for short bursts... but if I sat down and glassed (knees on my elbows) the thing slid down a bit, then I stand up and it stuck down there. I think they were headed the right direction, but just like everything KUIU does, they skipped the true r and d phase and went straight into production. A few simple fixes could have made it very very good. Also, I have better binos than my friend, and when he wants I sometimes I just detach them and use them loose. If you unhook the kuiu, you better not move or be a contortionist to be able to put it back on without taking it completely off and starting from scratch.

Joe

Last edited:

idcuda

WKR
I got the FHF and used it while shed hunting the last two weekends. It's breaking in nicely and it's been great. While hiking, I leave the top flap tucked in, then I close it up while riding the atv. No dust on the lenses. I like the fact that my binos aren't bouncing around when I'm on the move and when I'm on rugged terrain on the atv.

OP
V

vj88

FNG
The FHF looks much bulkier than the KUIU. Is that true or are they similar in size?

I own the FHF and AGC and both have their advantages and disadvantages.
I find the AGC to give better protection from dust and rain while the FHF is made a bit more rugged and compact.
To my eyes, FHF is the most handsome bino harness on the market, if looks matters. :)

LostArra

WKR
I own the FHF and AGC and both have their advantages and disadvantages.
I find the AGC to give better protection from dust and rain while the FHF is made a bit more rugged and compact.
To my eyes, FHF is the most handsome bino harness on the market, if looks matters. :)

AGC has a compact model that eliminates the front pocket and has only elastic mesh pockets on the side. Also, no plastic buckle.