Big Ol’ Mtn Buck - ‘22 Montana Wilderness

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to share a bit more about my ‘22 Montana deer hunt. First of all I was grateful to be included in this years top 10 contest for best mule deer pics. Huge congrats to the winners, well deserved. For my solo cellphone pic w/ a timer, I was grateful to get a decent picture of my best trophy to date. I’ve been blessed with some incredible memories over the years, but this particular hunt felt like it was scripted from a dream I’ve had over and over. The area I was targeting is extremely remote with low numbers- typical of a Montana backcountry wilderness hunt with a general season tag.

I snuck up from the trailhead as it was breaking day in 6 inches of fresh snow. The fresh grizzly tracks in the snow from the night before made my 12 sized Crispi boot track look like an imprint from a toddler. With senses on high alert, I pushed up the burnt timber ridge towards a big remote basin I was hoping to glass. As I approached my glassing spot, this buck appeared up ahead out of burnt timber like a ghost. With eyes locked I could tell he was a mature buck with a heavy dark chocolate frame - definitely a shooter! With seconds away from busting out of sight, I had to make a quick off hand shot @ 125 yds, he bucked hard and disappeared out of sight.

It was a perfect double lung shot through the ribs , quick track job of about 80 yds. This buck died on the run with his head buried in the snow. As I lifted his rack out of the snow I was overwhelmed with how incredible of buck he was, a true Monarch! Exact opposite of ground shrinkage. The only thing I remember feeling was Gratitude! Overwhelming gratitude! The handiwork of our marvelous Creator was abundantly apparent! I seriously almost passed out when all of the emotions hit me. This experience was without a doubt a gift from God! I worked the buck up quick and had to make two trips on the packout. This stud MTN buck was built like a healthy calf elk. I’ve never been a big ‘score’ guy, but the taxidermist asked if he could put a quick score on him. He said he errored on the conservative side with a gross non-typical score of 201 1/2”. Score aside, this was a trophy experience I’ll cherish forever. I sent a tooth in to be aged, still waiting on results. My guess is 7-8 yrs old.F7D2B0AA-16FB-4BE1-90E4-622B73B0653E.jpeg3A40FAF4-A2B3-45E6-9122-B4740A68E826.jpeg727CCF58-2848-4BBC-B458-882E2009BE92.jpeg

Last edited: