Big Ol’ Mtn Buck - ‘22 Montana Wilderness

OP
Hunt the Top

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations, what a monster! I love how where you killed him doesn't look anything like where your truck was parked, you musta been going UP!

I've spent some time in higher elevation Montana units, around the park and elsewhere, and I think I have maybe seen one buck over the course of a couple few weeks of hunting. I can't imagine hunting them in there, let alone being successful, and killing a giant at that. Incredible. Well done.
👍🏻👊🏻

Hutch7777

FNG
Just wanted to share a bit more about my ‘22 Montana deer hunt. First of all I was grateful to be included in this years top 10 contest for best mule deer pics. Huge congrats to the winners, well deserved. For my solo cellphone pic w/ a timer, I was grateful to get a decent picture of my best trophy to date. I’ve been blessed with some incredible memories over the years, but this particular hunt felt like it was scripted from a dream I’ve had over and over. The area I was targeting is extremely remote with low numbers- typical of a Montana backcountry wilderness hunt with a general season tag.

I snuck up from the trailhead as it was breaking day in 6 inches of fresh snow. The fresh grizzly tracks in the snow from the night before made my 12 sized Crispi boot track look like an imprint from a toddler. With senses on high alert, I pushed up the burnt timber ridge towards a big remote basin I was hoping to glass. As I approached my glassing spot, this buck appeared up ahead out of burnt timber like a ghost. With eyes locked I could tell he was a mature buck with a heavy dark chocolate frame - definitely a shooter! With seconds away from busting out of sight, I had to make a quick off hand shot @ 125 yds, he bucked hard and disappeared out of sight.

It was a perfect double lung shot through the ribs , quick track job of about 80 yds. This buck died on the run with his head buried in the snow. As I lifted his rack out of the snow I was overwhelmed with how incredible of buck he was, a true Monarch! Exact opposite of ground shrinkage. The only thing I remember feeling was Gratitude! Overwhelming gratitude! The handiwork of our marvelous Creator was abundantly apparent! I seriously almost passed out when all of the emotions hit me. This experience was without a doubt a gift from God! I worked the buck up quick and had to make two trips on the packout. This stud MTN buck was built like a healthy calf elk. I’ve never been a big ‘score’ guy, but the taxidermist asked if he could put a quick score on him. He said he errored on the conservative side with a gross non-typical score of 201 1/2”. Score aside, this was a trophy experience I’ll cherish forever. I sent a tooth in to be aged, still waiting on results. My guess is 7-8 yrs old.View attachment 501916View attachment 501917View attachment 501918
Great buck congrats.

OP
Hunt the Top

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
200+! Good job man n praise the Lord.

Glad I got to hear how it came down. And congrats for making the top 10. Amazing what a cell phone cam can do these days.
Cell phone pics are a huge step up from the days of packing disposable cameras.. I remember the days of winding up the disposable camera and snapping a few pics not knowing if it was a good picture or not. Sometimes I wish those days were back!

OP
Hunt the Top

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
Beautiful specimen and even better story. I can feel the gratitude and that’s exactly what we should always feel when God blesses our tables. Somehow I feel like you would have been grateful regardless the size, but maybe that’s why you were given more. Congratulations. He’s amazing and thanks for sharing.
‘Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.’ - always grateful- I appreciate it greatly 👊🏻