Big Man Pack

Frogfan

FNG
I am looking for a new daypack and am open to size and frame/no frame options. I recently purchased the Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 (tall/xl) kit. The pack fits but I am hoping there might be something more comfortable.

I am not the easiest to fit with a fairly long torso, a 54" chest and 42" waist. I noticed Mystery Ranch previously had an XXL size in the Dragonslayer; however, this is no longer available and appears to be very difficult to find in the secondary market.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Clint

I would suggset reading this thread and possibly asking the OP how things are working for him:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?42137-Newbie-in-need-of-a-pack

I know the above thread wasn't about day packs, but you'll get the idea. Kifaru has their new 14er and Terrall packs coming out with internal frames or they have the Apollo, 22Mag and Mountain Rambler (temporarily pulled) for external frames.

Mosby

WKR
I went with a Stone Glacier pack for the same reasons. Their approach bag is perfect for a daypack and I can carry out an elk quarter. Their frame fits bigger guys and it is light weight. Price was the only negative.

I'm looking for a big guy pack as well. I haven't backpacked in years and am finally getting the time to start pack hunting again. I still have my Gregory Mt Tom pack from 1987 but it's quite worn and not exactly the best profile for hunting/packing out a
dead beast. I was wondering (if it fits) if the Eberlestock Team Elk pack was worth the trouble. Cost is an issue but but a deal breaker if I can see the reason for the price.

LBFowler

WKR
I'm looking for a big guy pack as well. I haven't backpacked in years and am finally getting the time to start pack hunting again. I still have my Gregory Mt Tom pack from 1987 but it's quite worn and not exactly the best profile for hunting/packing out a
dead beast. I was wondering (if it fits) if the Eberlestock Team Elk pack was worth the trouble. Cost is an issue but but a deal breaker if I can see the reason for the price.

If big equals tall or long torso (or even normal torso) eberlestock pack is going to be short.
Any of the big pack names should have plenty of adjustment for most mortals; Kifaru/MR/SG/SO etc.

I have almost the same measurements as you with a slightly bigger chest. I went with a kifaru last year. I tried a lot of different packs from Tenzing to a Kuiu Ultra 6000. All "could" fit, but never fit well. I emailed Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Seek and EXO. Kifaru and SG could fit me up. EXO was very honest and said that they did not think they could. Seek did not think they would be able to make the chest / waist but were ok in torso. It was a really hard decision between SG and Kifaru. I ended up going with the Kifaru duplex (last years model) and a mountain warrior bag. I hunted with it last year and even though I did not get to pack out an animal with it, I love the pack. Day pack to packing in camp at 55 lbs it was very comfortable.

Problem is I am a gear junky and still keep eyeing the Stone Glacier packs as I really want to try one out.

Shrek

WKR
Kifaru can hook you up ! I have a very long torso and they were able to make me a 28" stayed frame which gives me lift no matter how heavy I'm loaded. I don't have the huge chest but I know they can put long shoulder straps on that were made to go over body armor. Whatever you need they can get it done.

OP
F

Frogfan

FNG
I appreciate all the help. I called Kifaru last week and walked through my size with them and as stated above they believe fitting me will not be a problem. My initial inquiry was about the Spike Camp but the gentlemen helping me suggested I wait for the new Tarryall and 14'r to come out this week. I am waiting patiently for the release, maybe tomorrow.

husky390

WKR
I'd recommend the Kifaru or Stone Glacier. If you go SG, you might need the shoulder pad extensions depending on how you adjust the pack and your torso length. I'm 6'1", 240 with a 32" inseam and size 38 waist. The SG edges out my Kifaru Duplex (old style frame) in comfort but not by much. Both are solid packs.