big hike this coming weekend

we are leaving friday morning for a big hike this weekend. our ride is scheduled to pick us up sunday evening. 28mi in the cascades. hoping the weather treats us well and we dont have any gear failures. the wife is coming along and this will be her longest and most rugged.
should have some pics when we return. :cool:

mtbshark

WKR
how high up you going?
was out near packwood last week and there was still a good amount of snow on the trails.

OP
fillthefreezer
we will heading north from white pass. about 2-3ft should be melted since last weekend. i am planning on heavy shade snow still but i think we should be ok. the snotel shows almost everything melted...

littlebuf

Banned
ill be doing 20 plus miles in the cascades this weekend also.have fun it should be a good weekend for it

we will heading north from white pass. about 2-3ft should be melted since last weekend. i am planning on heavy shade snow still but i think we should be ok. the snotel shows almost everything melted...

I have done that stretch. Coming out of Fish Lake up the ridge is a climb but is beautiful up on top. From there most of the trail is bumping on the right and the Ranier Ntl Park on your left. I would imagine/plan on some decent snow on top of the ridge above Fish to Dewey Lake.

littlebuf

Banned
what part will you be in?

ill be north of you a ways in the alpine lakes.up above levenworth. main objective is to test out some gear and its fun to do it on a trail ive not been on.ill be firther south as fall gets closer..

OP
fillthefreezer
i hear ya, we'll be testing some new gear, and one of my friends is pretty granola so were trying to beat his spirit down and show him the ways hahaha

OP
fillthefreezer
well we made it back. ended up being 28.5mi. we got a late start friday leaving the rig just before noon. went pretty hard and was snow from about 2mi on. ended up making camp at 10.4mi in the only snow free ground near a lake. got another late start hitting the trail at 10:30. we were making good time now on the flat and downhill so we found a nice meadow with a river to have lunch and fish. tyler caught 2. on the move again and ascending from 4100 to 5700. we made the ridge and found we have to sidehill a couple miles of huge snow slides. from here we got a first look at some goats across the basin. 8pm rolled around and we were all out of water and just over 20mi into the trip so me made camp and began melting snow. we headed out of camp day 3 around 9:15. we made alunch break on an awesome lake around 1. we made it to our pickup spot around 3. all in all i think our longest stretch of snow free travel was about 4 hours. total acsent was around 8k. weighed my pack before we left and it was right about 60lbs. lynzies started just shy of 50lbs. sophie(dog) packed 2 gallons of dog food and her leash.
ill post some pictures tonight, i forgot my camera at home.

Sounds like you hung out at Fish Lake for awhile before climbing out of that hole. I am not surprised you ran into so much snow. That makes that hike twice as hard. I am glad you had a good time and I can't wait to see the pictures. Were the mosquitoes pretty bad?

OP
fillthefreezer
ive got no less than 30 bites and we were covered in off deep woods and burning a thermacell. both of our camps were pretty bug free but anytime we wee resting and not in the middle of a snow slide it was thick with bugs.
snow lake, fish lake, and dewey lake were all fantastic! i think if i were gonna do it again im hiking in from bumping straight to fish lake. maybe camp a little south of there near the river crossing

littlebuf

Banned
Be safe they are calling for lots of thunderstorms today in the cascades

they turned me around at about 6000 ft.lots of snow and thunder storms rolling in.i had no tag to fill and nothing to prove so i headed back to the trail head. glad you guys had a safe trip,sounds like your gear testing was a success!