Big caliber rifle

IDShane

WKR
I may not be in the right section but my primary interests are in long range shooting/hunting. I have had a 6.5 PRC and 300PRC built in the past few years. For some reason I have the urge to either buy or build a large caliber rifle. I plan to at some point go on a Brown Bear hunt and also plan to moose hunt. I know I can accomplish this with my 300 but I cannot get that big caliber gun out of my mind. I keep thinking about a 375HH but the long range shooter in me would like something more suited for longer range shots. What do you all suggest?

Geewhiz

WKR
338 RUM for the win.

I put one together a few years ago and really started getting it dialed in the past couple years. Last year that rifle took 11 animals with the average range being about 615 yards. This year were at 5 so far.

I'm shooting 300 grain bergers at 2730. Those bergers shoot so good its not even funny. I've also got a tbac 338 ultra on it which makes it a real pussycat.

Wapiti1

WKR
How crazy do you want to get? The .375 Ruger is a great option, but if that isn't sexy enough, the .375 RUM is there. .338 RUM, Edge, or variant are all workable and have 300gr pill options.

But you might be a Cheytac kind of man.......

Jeremy

parshal

WKR
I may not be in the right section but my primary interests are in long range shooting/hunting.

How far is long range to you? I built a 300 PRC specifically for the Nightforce ELR held each summer in Wyoming and shot 250 A-Tips last year. This year it will be 245 Bergers. It flat smacks steel with authority at 2400 yards.

SDHNTR

WKR
Brown Bears aren’t hard to get close to. Especially when they are fishing or on a kill or otherwise occupied. You don’t need anything long range dedicated. With your arsenal id say a .375 HH is a perfect complement.

I may not be in the right section but my primary interests are in long range shooting/hunting. I have had a 6.5 PRC and 300PRC built in the past few years. For some reason I have the urge to either buy or build a large caliber rifle. I plan to at some point go on a Brown Bear hunt and also plan to moose hunt. I know I can accomplish this with my 300 but I cannot get that big caliber gun out of my mind. I keep thinking about a 375HH but the long range shooter in me would like something more suited for longer range shots. What do you all suggest?
We shot two alaskan moose this year with a 280 AI. They were pretty decent size. If you are wanting another rifle, thats cool, but you don’t need one. After seeing how easy they are to kill I wouldn’t hesitate to take my 6.5 PRC next time. I would put the $5-$6k towards a hunt instead of a new rifle. Thats just me tho.

Wapiti1

WKR
Why are you guys all of a sudden giving practical answers to a spend my money question? This is very unlike this crowd.

If you go 375, go Ruger. Other than you are stuck with Hornady brass, its a better design and adapta to long range better. Think, 3.6” magazine, fast twist barrel and 300 gr CEB lazer.

Jeremy

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I occasionally hunt with an old Husqvarna 9.3x62. Really solid setup shooting reloads with 250gr Accubonds.

I’ve always daydreamed about one in 358 Norma Mag.

OP
IDShane

IDShane

WKR
Brown Bears aren’t hard to get close to. Especially when they are fishing or on a kill or otherwise occupied. You don’t need anything long range dedicated. With your arsenal id say a .375 HH is a perfect complement.
That seems to be the direction that I am headed but we will see. That 338 RUM is very interesting to me also.