Big and tall guys, I need boots in a size 16, what's out there?!

syoungs

FNG
Hi all,
Looking to buy another set of boots in the next couple of months. Currently have a set of danner pronghorns that have served me great for quick jaunts around the woods, and a set of Lowa Tibets that I absolutley love. The tibets have high mileage on em, and will need a rebuild after this year. They also arent nearly as water proof as they were for the first few hundred miles.

I was going to just buy another set of Tibets, but figure I should do some due diligence and ask what else is out there similiar to them? Most quailty boots ive researched have ended at size 14-15.
Budget is a concern, but I can spend 500-600 without having much heartburn.

Typical wear will be in the PNW mountains and desert for hunting, as well as atv riding. The Tibets were fantastic for what I use them for, if that helps show my use pattern.
Thanks!

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, I'm about a 14 1/2....some 14's are tight with heavy socks. My experience;

I really like the Hoffmans....after a break in they feel like an old friend, though on the heavy side like the Lowa Tibets.

The Lowa Renegades are light but I have running shoes with more support- meh- same for the Meindl Vacuum- meh.
I tried
On the lighter side, I have a pair of Cordura La Sportivas in 14.5 that fit perfect and have been WP for over a year, they have been excellent.

OP
S

syoungs

FNG
I Really wish hoffmans came in a size 16. Id love to have the option to buy their stuff. Cant get the la sportiva website to open on my work pc, ill look into them and see if they go extended on the sizing.

The lowa renegades were decent imo, for a very light duty hiking/camp boot. thats what I set out to purchase when I found the tibets, local store just happened to have 16s in stock which never happens, so i went out on a limb and grabbed em.

OP
S

syoungs

FNG
to be fair, I havent talked to them. They dont advertise 16's on their website at least.

O M G ! I will never bitch about my limited choices with size 14 again.For what its worth I settled on Tibets as well.They have worked pretty well

jd270win

FNG
I wear size 16s as well. I currently switch back and forth between a Tibet and Camino. I think the Camino is more useful in 80% of applications. Lathrop has some size 16s in their house brand, as does Kenetrek. I’ve no experience with either.

OP
S

syoungs

FNG
The camino's look pretty great. seems like they maintain the features of the tibets I like, in a little lighter package. Itll probably come between those and the lathrops for my next set. Might end up with both this year though so I can send the tibets back for recrafting.
Thanks for the feedback!

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of the Lathrops in size 15. I like them a lot! Very comfortable. The only gripe I could have is they are a little heavy, but anything in these large sizes will be.
Give the guys at Lathrops a call. They were very helpful and have other options besides their own boots that they will recommend.

Mojave

WKR
Concur, I wear a 14. I will never complain that most boot companies stop at 13 again.

BigDog00

WKR
Just my opinion, but I hated the Tibets I had. They were to clunky for me. I have the Ticam's and will be getting another pair this year. The bigger sizes can be a bit hard to find though ( I wear a 14).

OP
S

syoungs

FNG
Just my opinion, but I hated the Tibets I had. They were to clunky for me. I have the Ticam's and will be getting another pair this year. The bigger sizes can be a bit hard to find though ( I wear a 14).
Thats funny, I absolutely love my Tibets, first boot that I had confidence in while hunting. Ive walked around at 6'4 and never under 300# my entire life, I think my version of heavy or clunky is probably differnent then other peoples lol

BigDog00

WKR
Thats funny, I absolutely love my Tibets, first boot that I had confidence in while hunting. Ive walked around at 6'4 and never under 300# my entire life, I think my version of heavy or clunky is probably differnent then other peoples lol
Yeah you have a point there. I'm taller at 6'7 but only about 220 lbs. To me they felt like I was walking on 2x4s. The Ticams are much more nimble.

If you like the Tibets and they work, I dont see a reason to switch to something else.

I have the Tibets also and really like them but like everyone else I feel they are a little clunky. Not terrible but wanted to try something a bit lighter. I ended up ordering a pair of Crispi Nevada's and so far they feel really good and significantly lighter than my Tibets. I wear a 15 and the Crispi's actually feel a bit big so they may work for you.

cured_ham

WKR
Lathrop and Sons come in a 16 ( I have their 15s and like them)

Scarpa has some lasts that run bigger and their size 50s may work for you. The size 50 Manta Techs should fit. I wear the 49s in those.