Kennetrek Mtn Extreme vs Lowa Tibet GTX Size 16 US

Hello, I thought i would share my experience to this point mainly to help those who wear size 15/16s in boots. I first tried a pair of size 15 Schnees and really wished they would have fit, but they did not, so my options were to try Kennetrek Mtn Extreme or the Lowa Tibet GTX. I received both in the mail and now i have to make a tough choice. The Lowa rep thought their size was more true to a 15, but i am glad i upsized. The feel and finish on both boots look great. They both feel the same with my Superfeet Greens inside. The main differences are:
1. The Kenetreks have laces that go much farther close to the toe box than the Lowa Tibets and
2. The Kenetreks are about 2 inches taller.

The soles are very similar and when put against each other, appeared to be the same size. Being one that finds it hard to make a simple decision, i am not sure which one to go with as both offer great ankle support. The Tibets seem to be closer to a High Hiking Boot and i could see myself using it on hikes in Virginia. The Kenetreks are more substantial and have a solid tongue where it would appear to be much more waterproof than the Lowas would be if i had to walk through streams, but i would need some very high socks to wear them in the summer. I am leaning towards the Kenetreks for the solid tongue/better waterproof reason, but they are tall boots for sure.

I would need to get the non insulated Mtn Extremes as they sent me the 400 gr insulated version, but after they were shipped, it was suggested to get the uninsulated version for Southern Colorado in October. Very curious to see what other's think about these boots in the Colorado climate in middle October. From the weather apps, temps range from 30's in morning to 70;s in afternoon that time of year. Thanks for any 2 cents you can offer.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
Nice write up. I would say you are comparing gala apples to honey crisp apples. The equivalent boot to ken mt extreme is the lowa hunter gtx but it sounds like lowa doesn’t carry that size in that boot? I bring this up because the boot I have used for the last decade is the lowa hunter gtx and I have found it to be a perfect boot for all seasons (I hunt Idaho in all conditions).

jayhawk

WKR
i have the 400 insulated kenetreks. They’re good boots and I never regretted getting the lightly insulated version.

Only thing about them is the outer sole is extremely hard and stiff, and actually makes climbing on rocks difficult.

OP
B
Nice write up. I would say you are comparing gala apples to honey crisp apples. The equivalent boot to ken mt extreme is the lowa hunter gtx but it sounds like lowa doesn’t carry that size in that boot? I bring this up because the boot I have used for the last decade is the lowa hunter gtx and I have found it to be a perfect boot for all seasons (I hunt Idaho in all conditions).
Yes, my options are very limited due to my boot size. I wish Lowa had a hunting boot in my size. Right now I am favoring the Kenetreks but they are a tall and heavy boot.

Pmiller45

FNG
I wear a size 16 as well and have also tried Schnees size 15s and couldn’t make them work either although they seemed like a great boot. I have only tried on a pair of kenetreks but for me they felt to big but can’t speak on field use of them.

I have a pair of the Tibets that are 10 years old and they have served me well in the mountains over the years. They could use a new sole but I would still wear them if I had to. For me they were a good hunting boot.

I also put a lot of miles on a pair of lowa Caminos and killed some good animals wearing them so I still get some warm fuzzys when i think about that pair of boots. They do have more flex but are a little lighter than the Tibets. They aren’t quite as sturdy as the Tibets and eventually got to the point were they would give me some blisters due to a seam that failed. I’m not sure you can find 16s now.

I have been using lathrop and sons mountain hunter elites for the last couple years and I really have liked them so far. They offer their boots in size 16.

Good luck in your choice, I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Just pick the one that fits your needs the most and feels the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8grenade

FNG
I picked up some Lowas over the winter... wearing them hiking 20-30 miles a week right now and I believe they might be broken in by hunting season if I'm lucky. I'm not sure the boots break in as much as your feet do....

No experience with Kennetrek but the Lowas are one stiff boot.

OP
B
I wear a size 16 as well and have also tried Schnees size 15s and couldn’t make them work either although they seemed like a great boot. I have only tried on a pair of kenetreks but for me they felt to big but can’t speak on field use of them.

I have a pair of the Tibets that are 10 years old and they have served me well in the mountains over the years. They could use a new sole but I would still wear them if I had to. For me they were a good hunting boot.

I also put a lot of miles on a pair of lowa Caminos and killed some good animals wearing them so I still get some warm fuzzys when i think about that pair of boots. They do have more flex but are a little lighter than the Tibets. They aren’t quite as sturdy as the Tibets and eventually got to the point were they would give me some blisters due to a seam that failed. I’m not sure you can find 16s now.

I have been using lathrop and sons mountain hunter elites for the last couple years and I really have liked them so far. They offer their boots in size 16.

Good luck in your choice, I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Just pick the one that fits your needs the most and feels the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the info. I will take a look at this boots you suggested today

Extrapale

WKR
I've had both, in size 15. I will take the Kenetreks all day every day. My single biggest complaint is the difference in midsole rigidity. The lowa breaks down faster and makes side hilling in the mountains miserable. I do think lowa has the waterproof thing figured out, though. Several of my Kenetreks have started leaking near the bottom lace points. Something about the flexing there compromising the membrane.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

96Griz

FNG
I have the non-insulated kenetreks. I have never had a problem with my feet getting cold, and I’ve even taken them snowmobiling before.

OP
B
Thank you for the info. I will take a look at this boots you suggested today
I did look at the Lathrop and they look comparable in image to the Kennetreka but they are the most expensive and I got a discount on the Kenetreks. It appears you can only buy the Lathrop boots from their site unless you know of other websites that sell them. Thanks again for all and any recommendations. Now I need to find thin but comfortable wool socks in my size. Lol.

I’m your guy for experience with these boots. I too have the same size foot as you and have both of those boots!! We’re pretty limited with options aren’t we lol

I started out with the Tibet LL and wore the hell out of them for the last 3 years. I got many many miles in rough country and the boot has performed well in almost all conditions (two elk hunts, a deer hunt, and lots of shed hunting). My only complaint would be in deep snow and extreme cold. Because of this, I decided to get the insulated 400 Mt Extreme for late season and early spring. This spring I loved the warmth and stability of the kenetrek. They were clutch when dealing with lots of snow but boyy they are quite a bit heavier and stiffer than the Tibets.

I live in northern Arizona and most of my miles on the Tibets were on volcanic rock types, which absolutely shred boots. They held up quite well. The kenetreks have done well too. Both boots are great. Since you’re going to use the non insulated, I guess it boils down to how rough of country you’ll be in and and whether or not weight is a factor. If you want more ankle support and stiffness, go kenetrek. If you want lighter weight and a little more mobility, go with the Tibet. Have you looked into the Lowa Ranger? I’m thinking about getting a pair while I send my Tibets off to be resoled. (Estimated turn around can be 3-4 months)

OP
B
I’m your guy for experience with these boots. I too have the same size foot as you and have both of those boots!! We’re pretty limited with options aren’t we lol

I started out with the Tibet LL and wore the hell out of them for the last 3 years. I got many many miles in rough country and the boot has performed well in almost all conditions (two elk hunts, a deer hunt, and lots of shed hunting). My only complaint would be in deep snow and extreme cold. Because of this, I decided to get the insulated 400 Mt Extreme for late season and early spring. This spring I loved the warmth and stability of the kenetrek. They were clutch when dealing with lots of snow but boyy they are quite a bit heavier and stiffer than the Tibets.

I live in northern Arizona and most of my miles on the Tibets were on volcanic rock types, which absolutely shred boots. They held up quite well. The kenetreks have done well too. Both boots are great. Since you’re going to use the non insulated, I guess it boils down to how rough of country you’ll be in and and whether or not weight is a factor. If you want more ankle support and stiffness, go kenetrek. If you want lighter weight and a little more mobility, go with the Tibet. Have you looked into the Lowa Ranger? I’m thinking about getting a pair while I send my Tibets off to be resoled. (Estimated turn around can be 3-4 months)
Thank you for your recommendations. I am still having a hard time choosing. I would probably wear the Tibets more year round on the east coast as well. I have heard some more negative responses from the Kenetreks vs Lowa, but i have not looked at the Ranger. The number one complain i have seen is that the Kenetreks simply will not last or the soles will wear out quickly. I definately do need a size 16. I have been on the phone with Lanthrop and Sons and their boots sound like they are quality and may fit me the best, but they are the most expensive. Does anyone have experience with the Lanthrop Mountain Hunter Boots? Anyone have or know of a valid a discount code for Lanthrop? $550 is a lot of money for a pair of boots IMO and Lanthrop does not offer free shipping to or from in the case of a return.