BHA Supporting Legislation Outlawing the Sale of Information on Big Game Locations

MtGomer

WKR
Thanks pal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Just to be clear, if it wasn’t totally apparent by reading this thread, Justin brought up your name and business that I had no idea existed by saying ‘so you think Robby Denning is a dipshit’. By that, he would be suggesting that you buy or sell coordinates and seemed ready to defend that practice and be offended on your behalf.

I’ll point out that your post above explains in detail, how what you do, according to you, is a lot more than buying or selling a coordinate and that selling a coordinate is ‘a rip off’. By what you say about your own business, it sounds to me that what I said is not applicable.
The way you both jumped on it, maybe you found the shoe fitting. I didn’t write my initial comment targeting you, nor did I at the time know anything about you, beyond hearing your name and that it’s associated with Rokslide.

LandYacht

WKR
This is one of those issues that has turned into governing through personal preference.

It isn’t a service that I would use because quite frankly I’m too cheap and have boots with enough rubber on the soles to match the amount of time I have to wear the rubber down. Now that may change at some point in my life and I won’t have the ability to do it for myself. I’m not sure my feelings would change at that point, but I still don’t feel that my personal feelings should be legislated to others. I have seen no compelling arguments that would make me vote in favor of adding yet another law to the books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Seems like a big waste of time and money to me. I still don’t trust the head sheds at BHA. I think some of the state chapters do great work. They would do better with new leadership. I’m always one foot in and one foot out with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elephant in the room here. I was a member but also dont like the national leader ship. I also feel like if any one questions BHA they are now anti public land and fair chase. They are supposed to advocate for sportsman and it feels like its the other way. Releasing financials would go a long way also.

bsnedeker

WKR
Actually, this already happens like crazy via YouTube... Randy Newberg (who’s all about BHA) blows up great spots in Montana like they are going out of style. We should make laws against him doing that... “It’s not fair because I would have eventually found all of those spots on my own without his help and no one else would have ever known about them. I’m pretty positive that I’m the first person in Montana to ever use google earth and OnX maps in conjunction with one another too.”

Brother, if you don't understand the difference between a "spot" and a "state" I don't know what to tell you!

Shrek

WKR
BHA is the Sierra Club in drag. Every BHA member is just a useful idiot. They (anti hunting greenies) use the BHA to amplify their voice while turning the hunting community on itself. They’ll use their public land access theme as a cover but their real objective is the opposite of access. They want the land public but access for hunting is to be eliminated. It starts with this type of regulation and before you know it the regulation handbook will have 3000 pages and hunting will go away. Purity of fair chase is the first thing they have their useful BHA idiots turning on fellow hunters with. Next will be regulation on how far you may shoot , then ban rangefinders so you can’t be sure of how far you’re shooting. Then turn wheel bow hunters against traditional bow hunting. So on and so on. They already want to close just about every road on public land. That sounds great to all the young and healthy BHA hunters so heck yeah ! Wait until you are 50 and your knees are shot and a mile is like ten when you were 20. At 50 you’re chit out of luck accessing public land even if you could figure out what you can and can’t hunt and how in the 3000 page regulation guidebook. If you’re a BHA member you are a useful idiot supporting the end of hunting and access to public land to hunt on.

ODB

WKR
The bill is vague regarding whom is excluded.
So yOu tHiNk aLl of RoBbY DeNniNg’S cLieNts aRe MorOns?

I think if you buy a dot on a map with the expectation to connect with a “trophy” animal, yes, you have some issues. I don’t know Robby denning or his clients - I’m merely pointing to the mentality of the action. What is driving it, what does one hope to gain, etc. I look at it from the symbolic interactionists point of view. If you don’t know what that is, hit the books.

MtGomer

WKR
The bill is vague regarding whom is excluded.

I think if you buy a dot on a map with the expectation to connect with a “trophy” animal, yes, you have some issues. I don’t know Robby denning or his clients - I’m merely pointing to the mentality of the action. What is driving it, what does one hope to gain, etc. I look at it from the symbolic interactionists point of view. If you don’t know what that is, hit the books.

I think we’re on the same page.

Reactions: ODB

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I find it ironic that it's OK to give those waypoints away, just that you can't sell them. So getting the information into someone else's hand, and/or fair chase, and/or the animals isn't the issue at all here, just the "selling" or making money part is what's somehow wrong. So giving my used gear away is AOK, but selling it is BAD. This goes along with many of the other idiotic ideas that people have for trying to control the people and what they can and can't do.......and it always wreaks of liberalism.

I guess all those scenic byway and special interest maps that are sold would now be banned as well. So long to the "maps of the Hollywood stars".

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
BHA is the Sierra Club in drag. Every BHA member is just a useful idiot. They (anti hunting greenies) use the BHA to amplify their voice while turning the hunting community on itself. They’ll use their public land access theme as a cover but their real objective is the opposite of access. They want the land public but access for hunting is to be eliminated. It starts with this type of regulation and before you know it the regulation handbook will have 3000 pages and hunting will go away. Purity of fair chase is the first thing they have their useful BHA idiots turning on fellow hunters with. Next will be regulation on how far you may shoot , then ban rangefinders so you can’t be sure of how far you’re shooting. Then turn wheel bow hunters against traditional bow hunting. So on and so on. They already want to close just about every road on public land. That sounds great to all the young and healthy BHA hunters so heck yeah ! Wait until you are 50 and your knees are shot and a mile is like ten when you were 20. At 50 you’re chit out of luck accessing public land even if you could figure out what you can and can’t hunt and how in the 3000 page regulation guidebook. If you’re a BHA member you are a useful idiot supporting the end of hunting and access to public land to hunt on.

I can't say that this doesn't seem to be the path they are on, but I hope that we can push BHA and other organizations in better directions thru discussion and dollars. I feel that I would be better served by focusing on legislation around access and opportunity rather than ethics of debatable merit (if this thread is any indication). With enough member and community push these organizations will change their priorities or cease to exist.

Trial153

WKR
Yes because only a liberal would think it's a terrible idea to sell the location and description of an animal on public land. Nothing like distilling everything down to political ideology rather then the Nuances of the issue at hand.

Why dont we add in an exclusive use permit for the area while we are at it? We can set system up where we can auction off the tag, permit for exclusive use and catalog of the trophys that come with it. Maybe SFW will be so generous to hold the auctions and give the state a percentage of the proceeds, 15 percent after expenses seems fair. Let's go all in. Maybe offer a long term lease while were at it.

JWP58

WKR
Elephant in the room here. I was a member but also dont like the national leader ship. I also feel like if any one questions BHA they are now anti public land and fair chase. They are supposed to advocate for sportsman and it feels like its the other way. Releasing financials would go a long way also.

You read my mind. Hell a few yrs ago I almost ponied up for a lifetime membership...thank God I didn't.

CorbLand

WKR
I hope that this bill dies but I hope a new one pops up written that you have to be an established business to do this. I have no problem with it, if you are an established business. Its tempting to do it, especially in states like Utah, where 2 generations of animals will be dead before I even get to hunt them. I do have a problem with people being able to do this and they dont have to pay anything back for it.

The legislation exempts outfitters and guides or landowners guiding hunters on their own or leased land. “We do not want people to buy an unfair advantage,” she told the committee.
No such thing as "your spot" on public land.

Does BHA consider paid scouting OK then if you have one of their "PUBLIC LAND OWNER" Tshirts?

ODB

WKR

You can look up their 990 tax returns on the website they black out the major donors though. Their bottom line has jumped pretty good in the last few years. Tawney makes a good chunk of change, and they show 800K in additional wages and salaries but no recipients. You can also look them up at pro publica. I do have a problem with their supposed non-bias/campaigning stance. Frankly I think all non-profits should be taxed as normal. They are too often shelters for shuffling money. Just my .02c.

Mind boggling, worried about purchased information sharing.... almost like a precursor to outlawing guides, oh wait that’s exactly where it’s headed.Bill is introduced to hammer on the guides(and there employees or spotters) making a living on higher end tag holders.

The intended trickle down opens a widow to exterminate all public land guides and public land guide options

Terrible bill, typical BHA National also. So glad I didn’t do a lifetime with them. Thankfully there are some real conservation orgs out there that do support wildlife and hunting.