Best/warmest vest?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I spent an extremely cold night out last season and now that I’m getting ready to get set up for this season I’m trying to improve my emergency bivy kit.

Last year I had a Sitka fanatic hoody and my rain shell, other than that I was wearing my waders with fairly light long underwear. We got stuck out on the river as the temps dipped into the teens with a real driving rain. The following day, the temps got back into the 40s but the gnarly wind and rain continued . Running low on calories and sleep, things get cold. I decided that I’m going to get a down or synthetic vest of some sort to keep in the overnight kit.

What’s the best warmth to weight shot out there right now?

Thanks!

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I have a kryptek puffy vest. Can’t remember the name but it is super lightweight and provides excellent warmth. They run sales on them once in a while. Got mine for like $70. One of my favorites

Zappaman

WKR
I admit, I'm a battery freak. I have the 18650/21700 battery versions (rechargeable) in about 60 lights (I am a dealer so...), heated socks, AND heated vests.

My vest bought last year has the ability to run at a very LOW setting and can provide enough heat (under a good jacket) to make -14 degree hunts nice and comfy (*like last year on the last day of goose season- wind chill of -24). I used it on LOW for four hours that afternoon pass shooting Canadians. It had another 8 hours or so left when I got back and checked it's meter. Same for my socks used (*with wool liners).

The socks I bought aren't available, but here is a listing for what looks to be about the same set.

Sadly, most of these chinese made electric socks need a liner (they are cotton). But I LOVE mine stand hunting for an afternoon in sub zero along with the vest. The battery pack for the vest is super light and fits in it's own pocket- while the switch is up on the logo (right breast). I don't use my down vest in sub zero any more... but I charge the battery full before I go out with this new one (which is well insulated poly BTW). And if you need more heat time, this vest uses a standard power pack so you can buy a good back-up with the same connector.

The socks are very good if you aren't putting in a mountain run for miles a day. The battery tucks into a pocket sewn into the sock's side and holds the battery very well. But if you're runnin' and gunnin' you don't need these- just good wool socks (IMHO).

Just an alternate idea for you... YMMV

Edit: the vest can be put into a medium zip-lock bag- crushes down nicely. Wiring is also durable (so far).

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I admit, I'm a battery freak. I have the 18650/21700 battery versions (rechargeable) in about 60 lights (I am a dealer so...), heated socks, AND heated vests.

My vest bought last year has the ability to run at a very LOW setting and can provide enough heat (under a good jacket) to make -14 degree hunts nice and comfy (*like last year on the last day of goose season- wind chill of -24). I used it on LOW for four hours that afternoon pass shooting Canadians. It had another 8 hours or so left when I got back and checked it's meter. Same for my socks used (*with wool liners).

The socks I bought aren't available, but here is a listing for what looks to be about the same set.

Sadly, most of these chinese made electric socks need a liner (they are cotton). But I LOVE mine stand hunting for an afternoon in sub zero along with the vest. The battery pack for the vest is super light and fits in it's own pocket- while the switch is up on the logo (right breast). I don't use my down vest in sub zero any more... but I charge the battery full before I go out with this new one (which is well insulated poly BTW). And if you need more heat time, this vest uses a standard power pack so you can buy a good back-up with the same connector.

The socks are very good if you aren't putting in a mountain run for miles a day. The battery tucks into a pocket sewn into the sock's side and holds the battery very well. But if you're runnin' and gunnin' you don't need these- just good wool socks (IMHO).

Just an alternate idea for you... YMMV

Edit: the vest can be put into a medium zip-lock bag- crushes down nicely. Wiring is also durable (so far).

Probably not trying to do socks as in these situation I don’t want to take my waders off but a heated vest…yeah, that would have been great. Thanks!!! I’ll look into it!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a kryptek puffy vest. Can’t remember the name but it is super lightweight and provides excellent warmth. They run sales on them once in a while. Got mine for like $70. One of my favorites

Hadn’t even thought about krypton, thanks!!! I’ll take a look.

Kryptek and Kuiu both make lightweight puffy vests perfect for an insulation layer. The Kuiu “Ultra” puffy stuff is crazy light! I ended up with the vest and jacket when those pieces popped up on the outlet. Definitely an upgrade from the Kryptek puffy jacket I had been using in weight reduction and pack-ability.

FF Helios Vest- 4.8oz 900+ down, 10oz packed
SG Grumman- 3oz 850+ down, 7oz packed
I don’t have either vest but do have the jackets, both are great. The FF will be a little more durable.

rm06

WKR
My only experience with the puffy vest is First Lite's Brooks. I haven't taken it on a hunting trip but I have worn it around plenty, walking the dog, trips to town, etc. It is often WAY too warm vs a fleece counterpart, it would be nice as a midlayer while glassing on a cold morning.

Given how light and warm manufacturers are making these, I may have to include it on a future hunt.

jd1006

WKR
That Enos vest looks great. I have the grumman vest and it is a great layering piece. Packs down ridiculously small and works very nicely under my outerlayer…stayed toasty in -5 weather the other day with it over a grid fleece hoody and under a shell.

The problem, as with most gear, is the “best” and the “warmest” and the “lightest” all amp the price up double than what 80% of that level is. For the price of that Enos, you can get a custom filled Nunatek or Enlightened Equipment and have it stuffed even higher. Goosefeet gear also does this.

If it’s cold enough to need a very warm fill weight on a vest, I’m likely in some sort of an insulated jacket, so I haven’t tested too many vests and found the grumman was the sweet spot for me (still spendy, but the warmth to weight ratio is tough to match).