Best Value for Scope <$300?

Crusader

WKR
Hey guys. A friend has a 7mm bolt rifle which he needs a new scope for. He's on a pretty limited budget, topping out at $300. Maybe could be talked into spending a bit more for a great deal. He wants a variable, probably in the 2-10 or maybe 3-12 range. I figure this could be a good time to buy with Black Friday and holiday deals coming up. I've seen the Meopta Optika 2-10x42 available for a little over $300--does anyone have any experience with that scope? Or know of something in the price range that is better than the Meopta Optika? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved

A lot on here will recommend this, to stay under budget he could get the 10x fixed power.

Well I am in the market for a $300 scope for a youth rifle. I have a Leupold Freedom 3-9 on another rifle and the glass is pretty clear. O shot that rifle the other day and I was happy with it. I am also considering the optika 5 you mentioned although it’s over 18oz for a 1 inch scope. So those are the 2 I am considering in the same boat.

Big fan of the tried and true Burris Fullfield II here. You can still find them for $150-160 shipped. I have one on each of my main mountain rifles. They only weigh 13 oz., have a very useful ballistic reticle and the optics are very good for the price. Made in the Phillipines too. Not cheap Chinese junk like most Vortex and others these days. There is a reason Burris has been making this scope for so long now. Only annoying feature is having to turn the whole eyepiece to zoom, but you can get used to that pretty quickly. Doesn't bother me anymore.

You gotta spend north of $300 these days to get a scope of the same quality and features as the FFII.

OP
Crusader

Crusader

WKR
We've got a good offerings of riflescopes under $300.00. Please feel free to give a call, 516-217-1000, so we can discuss what would be best for you as well as BF sale pricing
Doug, are you all in the store tomorrow (Saturday)? If so, I'll probably give you a call. Besides the Optika I saw you have a GPO offering around the desired price range....would like to know what's a better scope.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Doug, are you all in the store tomorrow (Saturday)? If so, I'll probably give you a call. Besides the Optika I saw you have a GPO offering around the desired price range....would like to know what's a better scope.

I am out tomorrow (Neil is in). Starting Monday, with the exception of Thanksgiving Day, I will be in the store 7 days a week (we are open Sundays from Thanksgiving through Christmas) till Christmas so I selfishly am taking tomorrow off. Neil is great to chat with and discuss scopes. I'm back Monday morning, first thing

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for a Burris Fullfield 2.

I have had one in 3 x 9 power on a Tikka 270 WSM for the last 12 years or so. No problems. Quality at a budget price.

I would vote for the Burris fullfield well. I have a few of them and they’ve been great in all sorts of weather and the glass is clear enough. One is on a 223 and the other on a 300 win mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
I've been pleased with a few Athlon scopes at this price point as well

grfox92

WKR
I will say that I have researched this topic EXTENSIVELY over the last few years as I have a few rifles that don't get used but I would like to put a one an done optic on it and not spend a fortune.

Weather it's on Rokslide or another forum the Burris Fullfieid II is the one scope that the majority say is the best sub $300 scope. Which is crazy because it's under $200.

But I've heard a lot of guys talk about having them on heavily used magnums for many years and ever losing zero.

I'm picking one up for my .270 next week and am going to hunt with it next year.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

KenLee

WKR
The Burris Fullfield II is good and reliable for under $200.
The whole eyepiece turning when you change magnification is annoying, especially if on a rifle you hardly ever use.
I haven't used my GPO Passion 3x 3-9x42 long enough to have personal experience on reliability, but it's dang nice glass for the $300 that Doug has it currently priced.
Better low light performance than vx-2 or Vx-freedom. Heck likely better than vx-3 in 40mm.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
I wish I had ditched my Leuplod's and gone Burris a long time ago. Besides a couple of M8 fixed 4's I only use the FFII 3-9 or an assortment of SWFA. The SWFA are just big and can make a rifle unbalanced and/or top heavy. Not every rifle needs a dialing scope.

I am really trying to fight the urge to get a Trijicon Accupoint. Is it worth 4X the Burris on a killing rifle for under 300 yds?

KenLee

WKR
I wish I had ditched my Leuplod's and gone Burris a long time ago. Besides a couple of M8 fixed 4's I only use the FFII 3-9 or an assortment of SWFA. The SWFA are just big and can make a rifle unbalanced and/or top heavy. Not every rifle needs a dialing scope.

I am really trying to fight the urge to get a Trijicon Accupoint. Is it worth 4X the Burris on a killing rifle for under 300 yds?
I have two FFII 40mm and three Accupoint 56mm, so my answer would be yes.

KenLee

WKR
KenLee, any experience specifically with the 3-9X40?

No sir, I bought the Accupoints for low light capability and simple illumination dot. Here in South Carolina, we can hunt whitetail an hour before sunrise and hour after sunset. I was mainly interested in as late as I could see for the $. Trijicon has a great reputation for dependability and customer service.