Best tent for Alaska sheep hunt

That's some crazy weather to knock out the Niak like that. I guess that's why my outfitter in the NWT went with red series. I had bluebird weather in Colorado for my first week spent in a Niak. Loved it. Seems perfect for a one-man hunting tent. (Well it seemed perfect until I saw the picture above!).

That's some crazy weather to knock out the Niak like that. I guess that's why my outfitter in the NWT went with red series. I had bluebird weather in Colorado for my first week spent in a Niak. Loved it. Seems perfect for a one-man hunting tent. (Well it seemed perfect until I saw the picture above!).
I still love and generally trust the Niak. These were pretty extreme conditions...even for AK.

You should really check out my Niak. I wasn’t looking forward to packing the extra weight, but the comfort, room, security and ease of pitch easily made up for that.

View attachment 589860

Niak here too- a little heavy at 4 lbs, but pretty bomber and palatial for one :)

FsqmgyK.jpg

Also the Niak uses 9 mm poles (Easton) as do the Red Label shelters, the Black Label shelters use 10mm, you could pretty easily upgrade to 10 mm poles (w/ a slight weight penalty obviously) if one saw the need.

I ditched the stakes that came w/ the Niak and went with 9" stakes all around. I also ditched the lighter guy line (and hardware) in favor of a little heavier line and hardware.

SO Cimarron in dyneema. It has handled everything so far, other than the time I foolishly walked away with the door open and a stray gust of wind ripped the stakes out.

1.8 mm polyester sheathed dyneema spear fishing line makes great guy lines, 10-15 foot long guy lines help it stand up to wind.

Cannot say it is the best as I'm not used many others, but it stands up to Alaska just fine.

I’ve been very impressed with my Niak so far. One trip in the Alaska Range it would almost get flattened with wind gusts but then pop back up with me hunkered inside. We were pushing the limits of our gear for about 40 hours straight that trip. Also been in some serious wind storms in December in southern Nevada on sheep hunts with it. I think sometimes those big wind gusts come at just the worst angle not many tents are going to survive.

its funny, as i mentioned my little Niak survived some serious stuff this sheep trip (heavy snow loads, extreme winds). My guide has also worked as a bear guide on the peninsula for the past 8 years or so, and he mentioned our sheep hunt weather was akin to a peninsula bear trip. i felt pretty good that the Niak stood up to it, as I would never dream of taking that tent to kodiak or the peninsula.

Makes you wonder even how a red label would hold up with extreme conditions like that. The tunnel tents shed wind better apparently but that’s with a perfect pitch which is rarely possible with wind aspect.

Black label might be worth it in peninsula trips if this is a common thing and weight isn’t an extreme concern. Mind you it could save your life for packing a few extra pounds and you are remote.

A couple of tent photos/examples from this year's sheep hunt.

A Niak laid-over in 70mph winds. Despite trying to find the most sheltered location possible, winds beat this tent up and poles ended up snapping. Yes, it is an "extreme" example, and I am not saying anything bad about the tent — it just proves the point that ANYTHING can happen in Alaska and you shouldn't skimp on shelter.

View attachment 600219

We got back out in the field with an Allak. More rain, high winds, and snow.

View attachment 600220

Moral of the story... I wouldn't try to shave every ounce out of your sheep pack by skimping on shelter.
This musta been that “tropical storm” or whatever ADN was calling it on the 25/26th. It was pretty gnarly that weekend. I did a lil over nighter for a buddies bday, packed a keg into Rabbit Lake. Was a good test to the gear. Pretty happy with how the tent held up.

I put my trust in Hilleberg tents also......great product.

I'm out of the sheep hunting but the best tent I've experienced for late season Alaska storms is the Hilleberg Tarra. A black label two man tent probably not relevant to this thread but it is as bomb proof as I've experienced.

You should really check out my Niak. I wasn’t looking forward to packing the extra weight, but the comfort, room, security and ease of pitch easily made up for that.

View attachment 589860
How's the niak do with condensation? I used a akto for a few kodiak hunts and I thought the condensation was horrendous, I rememberer waking up with water droplets above me like a hundred bats in a cave. Looks like they make all bug mesh inner that would help but their sold out, wonder if they still make the mesh inners.

How's the niak do with condensation? I used a akto for a few kodiak hunts and I thought the condensation was horrendous, I rememberer waking up with water droplets above me like a hundred bats in a cave. Looks like they make all bug mesh inner that would help but their sold out, wonder if they still make the mesh inners.
I had the akto and sold it. Too much condensation and not enough head room. I've been using the Niak for a few years now and it's a great tent. Condensation is easily managed in all but the worst conditions.

I'd also say very little condensation w/ the Niak- occasionally I'll get a little on the inside of the vestibule wall.

I used the MSR front range this year for a sheep hunt with my girlfriend, now fiancée (post her first sheep, not conditional on the proposal).

We had heaps of rain, wind, and snow in the Chugach for 6 days and the MSR loved it. Being a 4 person tent we had heaps of room too. Little to no condition also so that was plus.
1695582992723.png

Back