Best spotting scope under 1000

Corbin99

FNG
I just upgraded my binos to 10x42 EL's and I'm limited on funds for a spotter. I currently have a gen 2 Vortex Razor 65mm that I'm not super impressed with. Just wondering which direction you guys would send me. My brother has the gen 1 razor that I feel is a step up from gen 2. What else would you recommend?

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
I just pulled the trigger on a new Razor 13--39x56 today to do some comparisons against my Kowa 554. I previously had a Gen 1 Razor 65 and really liked it for the money, but wanted something smaller for backpack hunting. Was also eyeing the Opticron 60mm as they seem to get solid reviews and I like the fine focus. Are you looking to stick with a 65mm?

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
I just pulled the trigger on a new Razor 13--39x56 today to do some comparisons against my Kowa 554. I previously had a Gen 1 Razor 65 and really liked it for the money, but wanted something smaller for backpack hunting. Was also eyeing the Opticron 60mm as they seem to get solid reviews and I like the fine focus. Are you looking to stick with a 65mm?
Ya I feel like for me a 65 is a good all around spotter. Down the road I’d love to get the ATX so I can swap objectives

UpTop

WKR
Swaro - buy once, cry once.
Every time I see this response my eyes roll into the back of my head so far I almost fall over. Literally makes me cringe. Definitely can’t go wrong with a swaro but the fact is some people flat out can’t afford it all at once. To answer the OP the athalon Cronus g2 is probably the best under 1000. It’s definitely not like you’ll be blind if you don’t buy a swaro or kowa. I know guys who kill fantastic animals every year with mid tier optics.

cmahoney

WKR
Every time I see this response my eyes roll into the back of my head so far I almost fall over. Literally makes me cringe. Definitely can’t go wrong with a swaro but the fact is some people flat out can’t afford it all at once. To answer the OP the athalon Cronus g2 is probably the best under 1000. It’s definitely not like you’ll be blind if you don’t buy a swaro or kowa. I know guys who kill fantastic animals every year with mid tier optics.

I regret going through cheaper optics when I was younger and wished I’d have just saved a little more, or waited a year and bought swaro’s to begin with. It would have saved me money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpTop

WKR
I regret going through cheaper optics when I was younger and wished I’d have just saved a little more, or waited a year and bought swaro’s to begin with. It would have saved me money.

Yeah but the price for admission into really decent optics is a lot different than it used to be. The gap has shrunk significantly. Again I’m not saying saving your money to buy swaro is a bad thing, BUT it’s definitely not as necessary as it used to be. Also literally some of the most successful people I know use mid tier stuff.

Maddog58

FNG
Depends on how you use a spotter too. Are you looking to see if it’s a mature animal or is it record book class. High end optics definitely see the small details better. I have Swarovski and Vortex Razor spotters and to be honest after 40x there’s no comparison at all, it’s Swarovski hands down. Keep your eye out for used glass too, lots of good deals out there

fatlander

WKR
Athlon Cronus and Ares get lots of love in every review I’ve seen with them sitting beside alpha glass.

bigbuckdj

WKR
For what the comparison is worth I had a gen 1 Ares 15-45x65 and now have an opticron mm4 60 and I prefer the opticron. For as little as I use a spotter, it’s just at the top end of my price range and amount of weight I’m willing to deal with. I’ve never looked through a gen 2 ares.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Spend a couple hundred more and find a Cabelas Euro branded Meopta Spotter. I have one and I like it better than my buddies Swaro. The Cabelas branded ones seem to go for $1200-$1500 the Mepotas with the removable eye piece are around $2K. I did a lot of looking and researching, they were the best value in my opinion.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Use what you have and keep saving and buy a used swaro spotter when you have enough if need to save some $$ on final cost.

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
I’ve found a couple used optics that I’m considering. Ones a kowa 663 the other is a Leica televid 65 non apo. If I can sell my razor I’m thinking I might prefer one of those more till I can afford the big jump.

What's your use for the spotting scope? Backpacking only, truck hunting only, do-it-all scope, etc.

You'll be able to get a higher level compact spotter due to them being cheaper originally. I started with a vortex 50, upgraded to a Swaro ATM 65HD, went without a spotter for a few years, picked up an Ares 65, and now have a Kowa 774.

I really wanted to like the Ares 65 that everyone writes rave reviews about, but I never felt like it resolved that much better than my 12x binos in normal hunting conditions (overcast, inclement weather, low light, and mid-day mirage).

If you wanted a compact spotter and are able to accept the restricted FOV, I'd pick up a used Kowa 55 on the classifieds for $1,200.

If you want a truck/big spotter, I'd lean towards the Meopta 82 but you'll need to bump your budget to more like $1,500+.

I'd struggle to recommend a do-it-all spotter in the 65mm category that will actually be useful on top of your EL's for less than $1,500.

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
What's your use for the spotting scope? Backpacking only, truck hunting only, do-it-all scope, etc.

You'll be able to get a higher level compact spotter due to them being cheaper originally. I started with a vortex 50, upgraded to a Swaro ATM 65HD, went without a spotter for a few years, picked up an Ares 65, and now have a Kowa 774.

I really wanted to like the Ares 65 that everyone writes rave reviews about, but I never felt like it resolved that much better than my 12x binos in normal hunting conditions (overcast, inclement weather, low light, and mid-day mirage).

If you wanted a compact spotter and are able to accept the restricted FOV, I'd pick up a used Kowa 55 on the classifieds for $1,200.

If you want a truck/big spotter, I'd lean towards the Meopta 82 but you'll need to bump your budget to more like $1,500+.

I'd struggle to recommend a do-it-all spotter in the 65mm category that will actually be useful on top of your EL's for less than $1,500.
it'd be a do all spotter for now. I just can't afford to upgrade at the moment so I'm trying to get the best I can for the time I'll be using it.

What are your thoughts on a used Kowa 663/664 ED?

Lowedown

FNG
I have been pretty happy with my gen 1 razor 85mm. I have used a 65mm 1st gen and think it would be a more ideal balance or size/weight/power for packing. Supply has gone down on those 1st gens but I think there may still be some of the 65mm out there new or like new for under $700

OP
C

Corbin99

FNG
I have been pretty happy with my gen 1 razor 85mm. I have used a 65mm 1st gen and think it would be a more ideal balance or size/weight/power for packing. Supply has gone down on those 1st gens but I think there may still be some of the 65mm out there new or like new for under $700
I tried my brothers 1st gen razor and I think the focus make a huge difference in the quality of image you get. There's one selling locally for 650 and looks to be new.

it'd be a do all spotter for now. I just can't afford to upgrade at the moment so I'm trying to get the best I can for the time I'll be using it.

What are your thoughts on a used Kowa 663/664 ED?
I have never looked through one, so I won't be much help there sorry. Do you have any hunts this year that a good spotter is really required for?

I have gone multiple seasons without a spotter, but I am admittedly more of a meat hunter and not hung up at all on antler size for most hunts. My only reason for picking one up this year was drawing a moose tag, a good pronghorn tag, and trying to spend a lot more time at the range.