Best Scope Magnification for Deer Hunting.

I just purchased a Springfield Waypoint in 6.5 PRC that I plan on using for deer hunting and the occasional long range target shooting. I sold my 300wsm which was my go-to hunting rifle in plans of picking another one up sometime soon. Anyways, I have a Zeiss V4 6-24x50 on another rifle that I don’t shoot often that I thought about putting on the 6.5 PRC. With that said, I hunt in NC where most of my stands have a 250yd or so shooting lane. Some stands overlook bean fields where I can take up to a 600yd shot (don’t plan on shooting game that far). Given my current situation, is the 6x magnification too large for minimum power? Should I look into getting a scope with a lower magnification such as a 4x? Thanks.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
IMO, in the woods, inside of 250 yards you'll be best served with a 2-10 or so power scope. Best to start with a lower magnification and wider FOV.
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments.

Your timing is perfect as today is the last day of our Extended Labor Day Sale, so please give a call when you have a chance,

Blue72

WKR
General rule of thumb that works for me is 1x for each hundred yards for an ACCURATE shot and 2x for each hundred yards for a PRECISION shot…..with that said you don’t need precision for hunting. I always rather have lower magnification and higher FOV. Plus you get more shakes with higher magnification

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
Everybody has their own preferences, but I care more about the low side of the magnification range than I do the high side when I am hunting within a couple hundred yards. A solid 3x-9x should do everything you are need it to inside 250 yds, but you could look at 2x-10x or similar ranges. Probably my favorite whitetail rifle inside 200 yds is wearing a Vortex Razor LH 1.5-8x32, but I have shot more deer inside 50 yds than I have beyond 100 yds with it.

Depending on what you consider long range, you may want to consider the upper magnification as well. Even then, a 10x should get you comfortably out to 1000 yds. After I started shooting service rifle competitions out to 1000 yds with a 4x, my 9x and 10x almost felt like too much inside 200 yds.

Another good thing about scopes in these magnification ranges is that they tend to be lighter than their higher powered brothers.

As mentioned above, minimum magnification is really important.
I have no interest a hunting scope that doesn't go down to 3X.

atmat

WKR
I’ve hunted with a buddy’s scope that was 6x minimum. I had a beautiful buck walk out at ~50 yards, and the zoom was so high that I didn’t feel comfortable placing a shot.

All that to say, minimum magnification is reaaally important. You can usually get closer. You can’t get farther.

I agree that 6x would certainly be higher minimum power than I would recommend..4x is a good, most of my scope are either 3x or 4x...I do have a 5-20, but I typically dont use it for deer as its on a 22-250

TheHammer

WKR
I really like my 2.5-10s x44. I set them on 3 to start the day with and never shoot at animals over 600 due to ethics. When at the range with any of my rifles I rarely set the scopes above 10x, even when shooting for groups out to and beyond 600

Dinosdeuce

FNG
Classified Approved
You stated it is primarily a hunting rifle, set it up for hunting. There are plenty of really good 1 x 6’s or 2 x 10’s that would work for your scenario. The way I look at it is to set it up for primary use. Then get trigger time shooting it at long range.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I have missed opportunities on deer due to too much magnification (quick situations where there wasn't enough time to adjust), but I've never missed an opportunity because I didn't have enough.

Macintosh

WKR
guess it depends on what kind of deer hunting? That's sort of like asking "what is the best vehicle for driving", need more info. Around here my priorities are extra-wide field of view with a big, bold reticle and very durable since I'm thrashing up and down mountains all day with it. I like a minimum of 35-40' field of view at 100 yards (usually 2-3power will get you close), with a reticle that's extremely easy to find in low light, at lowest power, against a very noisy background. The rest (i.e. max power, turrets, all the hipster long range stuff, etc) is WAAAAAY less important to me. Obviously if you live and hunt in a different place you might have very different priorities.

Dunndm

WKR
I just got a 3.5-12 and I can say I love it. Low enough for close shots, and has plenty mag for what I’ll ever need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
2.5-4x is a great base power, especially on a deer rifle, where you can have animals pop up at 20 yards.

OP
W
I have missed opportunities on deer due to too much magnification (quick situations where there wasn't enough time to adjust), but I've never missed an opportunity because I didn't have enough.
I’ve had the same thing happen to me, I had the scope zoomed in too high for when I was looking down the shooting lane. A nice buck came in behind me but I couldn’t get a shot off because I didn’t have time to adjust the scope back down.