Best, reasonable priced rain gear

North 40 outfitters has a line of clothing they call "Smith &Rogue". I got a very lightweight rain jacket in a tan /brown almost coyote color that works real well, was like $100 on sale. My rain pants are full zip from REI. I also really like them because I can use the zips as hip vents when it is necessary to be walking in rain gear. Jacket is like 9 oz. and pants are 12 oz.

Portland

FNG
I use Frogg Togs too, but only in a pinch. I find they're way too loud and way too thin to be used as primary rain gear.

Macintosh

WKR
I broke down and bought new rain gear this year before a trip to Scotland. Glad I did, hurricane came through and we spent several days hiking in a downpour. I’ve gotten frustrated with rain gear that inevitably winds up soaking out and getting me wet inside, or not breathing, so it’s one area where I don’t skimp. I used to work for a high end outdoor manufacturer, so I’ve tried a lot of the various fabrics, I have found actual Gore-Tex brand (3-layer standard gore tex or better yet Pro shell, but NOT paclite) fabric is the best breatheable rain gear out there, at least for the conditions I end up in. It’s expensive which isnt what you asked for, but to me worth it. I ended up buying a jacket made by a company called Rab. Very happy with it, I could not find what I was looking for from any of the hunting companies. It is comparable in price to the really expensive stuff unfortunately. It is also not “quiet”, although “quiet” means they fuzzed-up the surface so it holds water better…

JasonT

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at natural gear, I have had good luck with their rain gear.

roymunson

WKR
If you wanna be dry and aren't afraid to sweat, Helly Hanson makes a darn good rubber coat. Served my wife VERY well in Alaska

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider

Throwing these out for anyone interested.
Very well made (in China) but no experience in the field yet.
Only available in one pattern, on sale.
Great price, I couldn’t pass them up.

P Carter

WKR
Anybody got any experience with Outdoor Research Helium?
I do, and I like it a lot. Last year, I had a week of elk hunting with on-and-off showers, turning to hail/snow mix, nearly all week. It held up well and did its job quite nicely. Handles occasional showers really well. I've also worn it snowboarding with precip; that's not its best use case but it was fine in a pinch.

I have it in the green color - loden? lichen? - and it looks fine. It has some reflective features, which I colored over with a sharpie. The price was right, also; I think I paid $80 or $85. All things considered, it's a really good choice for an ultralight rain jacket to keep in the pack.

It's an ultralight jacket, so best suited for on-and-off showers or occasional showers. It'll wet out in an all-day downpour. It also lacks features like pit zips and hand pockets. That doesn't bother me--it breathes well enough that I could "bake" my clothing and the jacket dry by hiking steadily, but without building up too much moisture inside, and I'm OK with the weight tradeoff. That said, if you're going to wear it all day, every day, you might be better off with a heavier jacket with more ventilation options.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I do, and I like it a lot. Last year, I had a week of elk hunting with on-and-off showers, turning to hail/snow mix, nearly all week. It held up well and did its job quite nicely. Handles occasional showers really well. I've also worn it snowboarding with precip; that's not its best use case but it was fine in a pinch.

I have it in the green color - loden? lichen? - and it looks fine. It has some reflective features, which I colored over with a sharpie. The price was right, also; I think I paid $80 or $85. All things considered, it's a really good choice for an ultralight rain jacket to keep in the pack.

It's an ultralight jacket, so best suited for on-and-off showers or occasional showers. It'll wet out in an all-day downpour. It also lacks features like pit zips and hand pockets. That doesn't bother me--it breathes well enough that I could "bake" my clothing and the jacket dry by hiking steadily, but without building up too much moisture inside, and I'm OK with the weight tradeoff. That said, if you're going to wear it all day, every day, you might be better off with a heavier jacket with more ventilation options.

Thanks man, very insightful. Appreciate the detailed response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking for some lightweight rain gear to keep in my pack for hunting the mountains here in Montana, but trying to be budget minded a bit. I don’t care if it’s camo, as long as it’s a neutral color. I just want to be able to stay dry if a storm moves in on me in the back country. What do you guys recommend? I’ve been thinking of even getting the Kifaru Wind River jacket and treating it with a DWR product.
This is my thoughts about this, I've been a long time backpack hunter for mostly mule deer and elk when I can pull a tag here in nevada, I've spent most of my time in the ruby mountains. The weather can change quickly. Before Sitka came out most of my gear was for backpacking, years later raingear has changed from all I would pack are disposable rain ponchos to now I have picked up the stone glacier m7 jacket and pants, if its cold I use the m7 instead of timberline pants there flipping wonderful, and the jacket is part of the layering system, for warm weather I still use the rain ponchos lol. I do use Sitka timberline jacket, much like the mountain jacket with a hood, and I have other jackets as well but thats my lightest. I guess what I'm saying is there's a lot of choices now days hunt hard my friend.

Bluumoon

WKR
Stoney Creek "stow it" jacket is nice for lightweight option, can't speak to durability yet

Buddy swears by the Glaisnock jacket, said their Tundra Jacket will wet out before the Glaisnock

The jackets are all cut long, sit mid thigh, which I greatly appreciate.

Look at converted US prices, not NZ prices

I broke down and bought new rain gear this year before a trip to Scotland. Glad I did, hurricane came through and we spent several days hiking in a downpour. I’ve gotten frustrated with rain gear that inevitably winds up soaking out and getting me wet inside, or not breathing, so it’s one area where I don’t skimp. I used to work for a high end outdoor manufacturer, so I’ve tried a lot of the various fabrics, I have found actual Gore-Tex brand (3-layer standard gore tex or better yet Pro shell, but NOT paclite) fabric is the best breatheable rain gear out there, at least for the conditions I end up in. It’s expensive which isnt what you asked for, but to me worth it. I ended up buying a jacket made by a company called Rab. Very happy with it, I could not find what I was looking for from any of the hunting companies. It is comparable in price to the really expensive stuff unfortunately. It is also not “quiet”, although “quiet” means they fuzzed-up the surface so it holds water better…
ECWCS Gen 3 Layer 6 on Ebay.
3-Layer Goretex, a really wide variety of sizing (if you're 5'8" and barrel-chested, you'll appreciate Short sizing).
Not really lightweight but solid and made in the US.
You can get top and bottom for under $150 if you look.

Macintosh

WKR
ECWCS Gen 3 Layer 6 on Ebay.
3-Layer Goretex, a really wide variety of sizing (if you're 5'8" and barrel-chested, you'll appreciate Short sizing).
Not really lightweight but solid and made in the US.
You can get top and bottom for under $150 if you look.
Is it actual gore brand fabric, seam tape, etc? I have seen that stuff online, but never found any actual specific info on the fabric and am not interested in experimenting with an unknown that also may not have much in the way of after-sales service, etc. I am not seeing any at that price either—everything is approaching what Id pay for a name-brand outdoor jacket that I can purchase with my professional discount or at a sale for similar $. If you have better info though, Im sure folks would be interested.

Edit: I see some used stuff on ebay looks like pants and jacket you could maybe get for 175-200ish. I do see a gore label on one. The pants appear to be packlite though, or at least has a different lining material. Might be a good fit for some. 👍

Last edited: