Best picatinny rings?

Ken Farrell rings are the best I have ever used. A little pricey, but I wouldn't put anything else on a serious hunting rifle.

Last edited:
I use exclusively ARC M-Brace rings now. In the past I've used NF Ultralite rings as well as Seekins rings. I much prefer the simplicity of the install for the ARC. If I was going absolutely crazy about it I'd maybe go with Badger steel rings but I don't think anyone here has a real need for that including me. If I was using a one piece mount I'd probably go Area419 since they've done some demonstrations of the friction their mounts get on scopes and it's wild.

JFK

WKR
I think they spec 55 in/lb. I have used spec'd tq to 5 in/lb less so off memory 50-55.

Not for the ring caps. 18-25in/lbs is a pretty normal range for ring caps. I do 25in/lbs on my nightforce with no issues.

For bases to the rail refer to scope mfg. stanag style 1/2” nut bases like mountain techs I toque to 65in/lbs.

Not for the ring caps. 18-25in/lbs is a pretty normal range for ring caps. I do 25in/lbs on my nightforce with no issues.

For bases to the rail refer to scope mfg. stanag style 1/2” nut bases like mountain techs I toque to 65in/lbs.

Arc rings are a very unique design

You may want to give careful consideration to the info in these two threads below. Just read and absorb the details, experiences, and the "why" behind what people are saying, and go from there.

Were I in your shoes, however, and absolutely had to swap 1 single scope across a number of barrels and bases, it would be a tough, thick-walled scope, in a solid single-piece mount that was a rigid as possible within reason. Definitely not lightweight anything on the setup. The reason for this is to have the least amount of tube deformation, parallax warping, erector inconsistencies, erector wear, and actual physical damage.

Thread 1: Lapping "High end" scope rings

Thread 2: "scope slipping"

You will find differing opinions on the issue, but the info and perspectives are worth digging into.

tracker12

WKR
I have had great results with Leupold rings. They hold and don’t scratch my sore. Plus they are reasonably priced and LW.

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Checking back in. Mil scope still on “notify me” How about Luepold Mark IV or even the QRW rings? I saw @Formidilosus mention the Leupold Backcountry rings as solid performers but from the context assumed it was the one piece base/ring but it got me looking at options there.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using Seekins rings for years and loved them for their durability and sleek clean look. I've recently switched to Hawkins simply due to the bubble level on top of the ring.

Hawkins rings.png

$0.02 from a “non rifle guy”. I had a ring failure derail a fairly good hunt. Have favored heavier, more durable rings since. I wouldn’t do another set of light rings unless I built myself some air weight sheep rifle or something. Besides, the weight savings between “light” rings and “built like a tank” rings is not much.

I have badger, Seekins, Hawkins in the safe. Last 2 rail builds are NF extreme.

WKR
Typically use Seekins, have an Arc set, some nightforce. Can't really tell a big difference in any of them. I'd buy a used or demo Nightforce for any scope I needed these days.

Nightforce ULs are my favorite by far. I’ve tried a bunch of top dollar rings. The NF are low profile and built like a tank. What’s not to like?

I'm pretty intrigued by the Area419 Hunt rings that got released a week ago. They're about as expensive as NF rings but seemingly quite a bit different. When I get a dedicated hunting scope (instead of using my competition scopes for hunting) I might try them out.

Odd1out

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big fan of the Zeiss rings with the integrated bubble
Have you used them? I have and using there torque specs, they definitely dont hold. Plus they absolutely dont recommend using loctite on either sets of threads.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
Have you used them? I have and using there torque specs, they definitely dont hold. Plus they absolutely dont recommend using loctite on either sets of threads.

Yeah, maybe 1000 rounds of 6.5CM and 100 rounds of 300WM without issue.

FWIW I am particularly anal about mounting my rings, and avoid ring/base combinations as much as possible because they add an extra failure point. For ring/pic rail combinations I'll very lightly mount the ring to the rail, less than finger tight, then I will hard mount the rings to my lapping bar, then loosen and hard mount the rings to the base. Before I remove the ring caps completely I will slide the lapping bar a few times just to scuff the finish enough to confirm I don't have any alignment issues.

The downside to those rings is getting the bubble straight. Lots of finicky removing/adding half/quarter turns to each side to get it perfect.

Odd1out

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, maybe 1000 rounds of 6.5CM and 100 rounds of 300WM without issue.

FWIW I am particularly anal about mounting my rings, and avoid ring/base combinations as much as possible because they add an extra failure point. For ring/pic rail combinations I'll very lightly mount the ring to the rail, less than finger tight, then I will hard mount the rings to my lapping bar, then loosen and hard mount the rings to the base. Before I remove the ring caps completely I will slide the lapping bar a few times just to scuff the finish enough to confirm I don't have any alignment issues.

The downside to those rings is getting the bubble straight. Lots of finicky removing/adding half/quarter turns to each side to get it perfect.
Well 40 rounds with a 338rum and they were loose in my experience.