Best Pheasant/Grouse/Family Dog

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
I am aware, yes. I am saying that those dogs are not the best bird finders, and if they were, they would be competing in the venues that select for those abilities.
"those dogs" meaning English pointers, setters, GSPs? What then are the breeds that pass the bar for Dos Perros'authoritative and discerning eye, using wild bird trials, as "the best" breed at bird finding?

Somebody better tell the Ames plantation they've got it all wrong if they are consistently inviting pointers and setters.

WRO

WKR
Gotcha DosPerros: NSTRA doesn't count as one of competitions used to select the best bird finders, and we should just accept your admittedly fairly limited experience as the end all be all authority in the subject, and ignore the various other realities to the contrary.

Nastra is a game..

A lot of the dogs that win, win by being trained to follow foot scent and tracks to find planted birds.

Not that there aren't good Nastra dogs that work well in the field.

The pinnacle of dog performance in pointing dog world is all age wild bird trials. To put that in perspective though, those dogs don't typically make the best foot hunting dogs.

jmez

WKR
All age dogs are not competing in any NSTRA stuff. Bearded dogs are not competing in any all age stakes.

While I generally agree with Dos Perros sentiments, the OP should not be looking at dogs out of all age grouse stakes winners. That isn't a foot hunting dog, nor is it easily trainable.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

ccg951

FNG
Can’t say enough about a good old Griff! Wirehaired pointing Griffon, don’t shed much at all, super family friendly,and have a good hunt instinct and super easy to work with! Love my Maple!
Upland guy here in Oklahoma, always been English Setters for quail. My sons roped me into ducks so we added a Griff to the family. Points, retrieves everything, best dang companion we've ever had. Can't run with the setters much but all the close work is his. Amazing dog, very soft temperament but a great addition.

jmez

WKR
I'd also add, those knocking labs for upland have hunted with the wrong labs. I'm a die hard pointer guy. Thought labs were useless anywhere other than a duck blind. Livng and hunting wild pheasants in SD with some really good labs changed my tune on that. I don't and will never own one but I've seen several put point dogs to shame in bird finding.

"those dogs" meaning English pointers, setters, GSPs? What then are the breeds that pass the bar for Dos Perros'authoritative and discerning eye, using wild bird trials, as "the best" breed at bird finding?

Somebody better tell the Ames plantation they've got it all wrong if they are consistently inviting pointers and setters.

Not all pointers and setters are made the same. It doesn't matter what I like, because that's not the discussion. If you're not going to try to help the OP then bugger off.

WRO

WKR
I'd also add, those knocking labs for upland have hunted with the wrong labs. I'm a die hard pointer guy. Thought labs were useless anywhere other than a duck blind. Livng and hunting wild pheasants in SD with some really good labs changed my tune on that. I don't and will never own one but I've seen several put point dogs to shame in bird finding.

They do good on ditch chickens, wouldn’t use one for chukars or Huns though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwamja

FNG
What's your go to upland game dog that is also a good family dog with little kids. Does not have oily/ shed like a lab.
What's your go to upland game dog that is also a good family dog with little kids. Does not have oily/ shed like a lab.
My wife and I have had nothing but incredible experiences with our GSP. Make sure whatever dog you get, it’s from a certified pedigree. If the pups family tree is full of good hunters and well-behaved dogs, it’ll be hard to go wrong. We got our GSP because we wanted a dog that would be great with kids that also had a strong hunting desire. So far, he’s exceeded all our expectations. He’s a very versatile and active hunter but behaves well in the house and around small children. We will definitely have GSP’s for the foreseeable future.

You’ve received a bunch of suggestions. We all have our favorites, for me, it’s Brits. That being said, I’ve hunted over numerous individual dogs from most of the more common breeds. The truth is you can find dogs that will serve well as family/hunting dogs in any breed.

I would suggest you make breed selection based upon some of the more practical questions associated with how you intend to use the dog.

You are In Minnesota, will the dog be outside a lot during the winter? If so, the longer-haired breeds handle the cold better.

Do you want a pointing dog or a flushing dog?

Do you plan on hunting in warmer climates. If so Short-haired breeds may be the best option.

Will you be hunting in places with thick blackberry patches and hawthorn (thornapple). Dogs with thicker coats handle the briars better but they also carry more seeds and burrs home in their fur.

How large of a dog do you want. Brits generally are 21 inches at the shoulder or shorter. Look at the breed standards.

Once you’ve answered those questions, then start looking for reputable breeders. Examine the pedigrees. Make sure their hips are certified and there are no other health issues. Observe their dogs. Are they sociable and friendly? Watch them in the field. How do they hunt and respond to the handler?

A good family/hunting dog is a pleasure. A bad one can be a pain.

Good luck. In the meantime, here are a couple Brits pointing a snow-roosted grouse.

1681260168198.jpeg

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have had seven GSP's. I absolutely love the bread. All have been great hunters, most have had natural retrieving instinct, the others were taught to retrieve. I have on occasion even used them for water fowl. they are fantastic swimmers. Their temperament and personality make them great family dogs. If you have GSP you have to make sure they get lots of exercise, they are high energy dogs. I prefer males over females. In my experience the males hunt to please me where the female hunt for themselves, but they are still great hunters. No better all around breed in my opinion.

WRO

WKR
All age dogs are not competing in any NSTRA stuff. Bearded dogs are not competing in any all age stakes.

While I generally agree with Dos Perros sentiments, the OP should not be looking at dogs out of all age grouse stakes winners. That isn't a foot hunting dog, nor is it easily trainable.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

There’s a few bearded dogs that run AA, ray caulkins ran some as have a few others but they don’t make Ames, they can’t run in the heat like a pointer or setter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
PAPAROD

PAPAROD

FNG
Most of my hunting is just north of the middle of mn where I live. We are right on the edge of OK pheasant hunting for MN, however the family farm/ hunting land is just north about 1 hr and we have pheasants and grouse so we spend alot of weekends there. We also go to northern MN quite a bit due to family and land up there also which is where we love to grouse hunt. On rare occasions I will chase pheasants in ND, once again due to family with land there also. Any dog of mine will have plenty of room to run as we are outside alot. We do have ticks and thick brush, but I plan on using Frontline Plus for that as I always have and also plan on have any dog trimmed all year round if it is a dog with frills on the legs/ ears that sort of thing. Id like to try a pointer.

Most of my hunting is just north of the middle of mn where I live. We are right on the edge of OK pheasant hunting for MN, however the family farm/ hunting land is just north about 1 hr and we have pheasants and grouse so we spend alot of weekends there. We also go to northern MN quite a bit due to family and land up there also which is where we love to grouse hunt. On rare occasions I will chase pheasants in ND, once again due to family with land there also. Any dog of mine will have plenty of room to run as we are outside alot. We do have ticks and thick brush, but I plan on using Frontline Plus for that as I always have and also plan on have any dog trimmed all year round if it is a dog with frills on the legs/ ears that sort of thing. Id like to try a pointer.
I traveled over and hunted NW MN last year. My dogs came out with numerous deer ticks. I would suggest adding the Lymes vaccine to your regimen.

The English Pointers I’ve hunted with in cold wet weather have struggled somewhat with hypothermia issues. If you want to go with a short-haired breed, a GSP might be better suited.

Depends on where you live and the habitat type and probably depends more on a specific breeding than general breed statement. Most grouse dogs aren’t worth a damn if they are over 75 yards in the places I hunt. Also, for the way I hunt, I don’t see any need for a dog that is working over 250 yards away.

There is a diminishing return for hunting dogs that hunt way out there and I don’t want my dogs missing birds to find birds.

We aren’t doing trials and I hunt many different upland species so I find breeders who hunt more than they test and go from the plains to the ditches to the grouse woods - because that is where I go.

I also do a vast majority of my hunting in the cold so a wirehair was my choice because they certainly seem to be much more durable and resilient to conditions I hunt. I rarely hunt at 50 degrees and above.

If you visit a breeder and their dogs are all in outside kennels, I would be hesitant to take their word on how good of house dogs they are.

Ultimately though, I think a mentally balanced dog with a good temperament should be resilient and adapt as long as your training is consistent as puppy and they can be great house dogs.

I have run into dogs of all breeds though that would do better as a kennel dog because they can’t shut it off. Those dogs are not for me but they may be for others.

If you think you found a breeder then have them take you out with their dog. If they have to handle their dog a lot to keep it hunting in a good pattern and an appropriate range for the habitat then know that dog probably hasn’t been able to figure out how to hunt for it’s owner and I would expect it’s puppies to do have the same issue.

I like dogs that I don’t say anything to except good boy after a successful bird sequence that ends with a direct retrieve to hand and nice presentation. They need to have the brains and cooperation to figure to adjust to my hunting style and habitat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki

Last edited:

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
We do have ticks and thick brush, but I plan on using Frontline Plus for that as I always have and also plan on have any dog trimmed all year round if it is a dog with frills on the legs/ ears that sort of thing. Id like to try a pointer
The harsher the dog's coat of any longer haired breed the less of an issue burrs will be at sticking in the coat. Same is true for snow.

Go check out a local NAVHDA chapter event, AKC pointer trial, or similar. Look at a bunch of dogs, talk to their handlers, and see what strikes your fancy.

TSAMP

WKR
I traveled over and hunted NW MN last year. My dogs came out with numerous deer ticks. I would suggest adding the Lymes vaccine to your regimen.

The English Pointers I’ve hunted with in cold wet weather have struggled somewhat with hypothermia issues. If you want to go with a short-haired breed, a GSP might be better suited.
I'll throw a bravecto plug here. It's a 3 month tick treatment that I can generally get away with 2 chewable per year on my dog. I've heard some dogs don't take to it but I've had great results for 5 years.

I started with NAVHDA at square one. Spend your time with the breeder and avoid the trial people at all costs. If you are into social events go ahead otherwise make the breeder show you what the sire and dam can do. Avoid puppy mills and nonhumting breeders. Research what the breed is supposed do and look at the broad swing of characteristics. A french sourced griffon is not comparable to a german griffon let alone some of the horrible breeding of the 70s and 80s.

I have faith that many of the other breeds contain similar problems. Shop carefully!

I'll throw a bravecto plug here. It's a 3 month tick treatment that I can generally get away with 2 chewable per year on my dog. I've heard some dogs don't take to it but I've had great results for 5 years.
Just one more note on the tick issue. These deer (black-legged) ticks have a different life cycle than the wood (dog) tick. Where as the wood tick generally becomes active shortly after snow melt/soil warm up and peter out around the end of July, the deer tick is active anytime the temperature is above freezing and they are above the snow. Five years ago, I administered tick killing drugs April through July. Now, I start just before the snow melts off and continue through November. Front Line, bravecto, nexgard (I now use nexgard) all do the same thing. It’s just a matter of how and how often you need to administer the drug.

Also, just as a point of interest, it takes approximately 24 hours from the time the tick attaches before it can transmit the Lymes bacteria.

Ive got french brittanys. they are similar to american britts. typically a little smaller. my biggest is 35lbs. I have a 12 year old, 5 year old, and 11 month old. they love children and pretty much any person they meet, But they will still back if someone pulls into my driveway or comes on my porch. a good friend came over and brought her 1 month old. all the dogs very carefully sniffed her and then went about their day. the 5 year old laid down beside her on the couch and stayed there till they left. They are great dogs IF you make sure to get their energy out during the day, but thats true with any hunting dog.

Tim_VT

FNG
I love my Brittany - She's great around the house, great in the field on grouse/woodcock here in New England, and has been pretty easy to train. Definitely sheds a bit but nowhere near as much as my cousin's lab. We've had lots of Springers in the family that have also been great if you prefer a flusher to a pointer.