Best pants paired with gaiters for wet conditions but not rain?

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Who out there has a pant they love and recommend for those days when the grass and brush is wet but it isn't raining. Like after a wet snow or a morning with a lot of dew.

I don't want a pant that will make me sweat bad like a rain pant would but something that can stand up to water shedding off of the brush for a while. It seems like the SG De Havilland could be a great option but wondering what else is out there, especially maybe from a non-hunting brand.

Last edited:

yfarm

WKR
If I am using wb gaiters then only need waterproof pants to just below the knee. After messing around with this problem for years, the issue is maintaining dryness inside and breathability which are nearly mutually exclusive. Wearing wb or full waterproof chaps over pants results in too much heat and humidity if its not cold and limits leg mobility. My final solution are highly breathable pants with wb breathable gaiters and a lightweight( https://www.huntsmart.com/collections/briar-proof-gear/products/1600)
that extends to just below the top of the gaiter. Order them short or buy a standard lightweight set and cut them off.
36 and mist after 3 hours: Green legs dry, Half chaps dry, me Patagonia field pants completely soaked, boots full of water, approaching hypothermia. Center hunter was wearing cotton pants which stayed dry, green legs FL corrugate not that it mattered much.
If you hunt horseback its kind of like chinks vs chaps.

1725487338837.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
LostWapiti

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
If I am using wb gaiters then only need waterproof pants to just below the knee. After messing around with this problem for years, the issue is maintaining dryness inside and breathability which are nearly mutually exclusive. Wearing wb or full waterproof chaps over pants results in too much heat and humidity if its not cold and limits leg mobility. My final solution are highly breathable pants with wb breathable gaiters and a lightweight( https://www.huntsmart.com/collections/briar-proof-gear/products/1600)
that extends to just below the top of the gaiter. Order them short or buy a standard lightweight set and cut them off.
36 and mist after 3 hours: Green legs dry, Half chaps dry, me Patagonia field pants completely soaked, boots full of water, approaching hypothermia. Center hunter was wearing cotton pants which stayed dry, green legs FL corrugate not that it mattered much.
If you hunt horseback its kind of like chinks vs chaps.

View attachment 759879
Honestly great advice thanks and I will keep this in mind for some applications. I’m looking for something to wear in the mountains chasing elk though. Maybe these do have a place in the mountains too?

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve stopped wearing gaiters unless long miles in snow, lots of moisture, or several creek crossing are on the menu. Now use Fjallraven keb pants and apply extra wax below the knee. I find the Kebs more simple and saves some weight.

yfarm

WKR
Honestly great advice thanks and I will keep this in mind for some applications. I’m looking for something to wear in the mountains chasing elk though. Maybe these do have a place in the mountains too?
There are no quiet chaps I know of, buy a pr of Cabelas quiet rain pants and make your own.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Who out there has a pant they love and recommend for those days when the grass and brush is wet but it isn't raining. Like after a wet snow or a morning with a lot of dew.

I don't want a pant that will make me sweat bad like a rain pant would but something that can stand up to water shedding off of the brush for a while. It seems like the SG De Havilland could be a great option but wondering what else is out there, especially maybe from a non-hunting brand.

Men's BTM Pro Pant

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Can you share anything more valuable about why you think this is the right option besides just sharing a link?
For Sure! If you're looking for pants that can handle wet grass and brush without making you sweat like rain pants, the FORLOH BTM Pro Pant is an excellent option. These pants are perfect for those days when the ground is damp from dew or after a wet snow, and you need something that can shed water while keeping you comfortable.

The FORLOH BTM Pro Pant is designed with a durable, military-proven nylon/cotton ripstop fabric that’s treated with an abrasion-resistant paraffin wax emulsion. This treatment enhances water, abrasion, and thorn resistance by over 50%, making these pants ideal for rugged adventures like upland hunting, hiking, or fishing. The wax can be reapplied in the field in just five minutes using a wax bar, allowing you to adjust the level of protection based on the conditions.

These pants also feature strategically placed 4-way-stretch twill fabric panels, providing flexibility and comfort without compromising on durability. The design includes knee pad pockets for added protection, multiple pockets for storage, snap cuffs for adjusting the fit around boots, and zippered side vents for temperature regulation. Plus, the built-in scent control technologies—Polygiene® Stay Fresh® and Odor Crunch®—help keep you fresher during long outdoor excursions.

Made in America and built to last, the FORLOH BTM Pro Pant is the ultimate choice for anyone needing rugged, water-resistant protection without sacrificing comfort.

OP
LostWapiti

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
For Sure! If you're looking for pants that can handle wet grass and brush without making you sweat like rain pants, the FORLOH BTM Pro Pant is an excellent option. These pants are perfect for those days when the ground is damp from dew or after a wet snow, and you need something that can shed water while keeping you comfortable.

The FORLOH BTM Pro Pant is designed with a durable, military-proven nylon/cotton ripstop fabric that’s treated with an abrasion-resistant paraffin wax emulsion. This treatment enhances water, abrasion, and thorn resistance by over 50%, making these pants ideal for rugged adventures like upland hunting, hiking, or fishing. The wax can be reapplied in the field in just five minutes using a wax bar, allowing you to adjust the level of protection based on the conditions.

These pants also feature strategically placed 4-way-stretch twill fabric panels, providing flexibility and comfort without compromising on durability. The design includes knee pad pockets for added protection, multiple pockets for storage, snap cuffs for adjusting the fit around boots, and zippered side vents for temperature regulation. Plus, the built-in scent control technologies—Polygiene® Stay Fresh® and Odor Crunch®—help keep you fresher during long outdoor excursions.

Made in America and built to last, the FORLOH BTM Pro Pant is the ultimate choice for anyone needing rugged, water-resistant protection without sacrificing comfort.
How does washing work with the wax applied? Does it damage your washing machine or get on other clothes? Does washing strip the wax?

I’ve never used any waxed clothing before.

Mcnasty

FNG
I have had these First light for a few years and love them. waterproof butt and knee. The side zip dumps heat really well and they breath OK with them closed. With gaiters they are great when its sloppy out with snow on the ground or coming down or even in light rain. For hot weather during early season archery I use a much lighter and quieter wool pant (if its Dry out ) but transition to these as the whether changes to colder and or wet. I have short legs 29 inseam so the knee pad falls awkwardly with tall gaiter (OR Crocodiles) so i just took them out. My experience with several pants from hunting and outdoor companies are is there is a direct correlation of decreased breathability and increased noise as you go up in wind and water resistance. these strike a good balance https://www.firstlite.com/products/...e-foundry-pant_color=terra&cgid=hunting-pants

OP
LostWapiti

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I have had these First light for a few years and love them. waterproof butt and knee. The side zip dumps heat really well and they breath OK with them closed. With gaiters they are great when its sloppy out with snow on the ground or coming down or even in light rain. For hot weather during early season archery I use a much lighter and quieter wool pant (if its Dry out ) but transition to these as the whether changes to colder and or wet. I have short legs 29 inseam so the knee pad falls awkwardly with tall gaiter (OR Crocodiles) so i just took them out. My experience with several pants from hunting and outdoor companies are is there is a direct correlation of decreased breathability and increased noise as you go up in wind and water resistance. these strike a good balance https://www.firstlite.com/products/...e-foundry-pant_color=terra&cgid=hunting-pants
I already have the Corrugate Foundry Pants as well as the insulated Catalyst Foundry and I feel like my Corrugate Foundry Pants have like zero water repellency, they honestly seem like a sponge. I wonder if I just have a bad pair. The Catalyst definitely repels water better but those are just too warm for me 95% of the time.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How does washing work with the wax applied? Does it damage your washing machine or get on other clothes? Does washing strip the wax?

I’ve never used any waxed clothing before.
Washing pants with wax applied, like the FORLOH BTM Pro Pant, requires some special care to maintain the wax treatment and ensure it doesn't damage your washing machine or other clothes.

Washing Considerations:

1. Hand Washing: It's generally recommended to hand wash waxed garments in cold water. This prevents the wax from melting and potentially stripping off. Avoid using harsh detergents, as they can break down the wax treatment.
  2. Machine Washing: If you must use a washing machine, place the pants in a laundry bag or pillowcase to prevent wax from getting onto other clothes. Use cold water and a gentle cycle without detergent. However, hand washing is preferable to avoid any wax buildup in your washing machine.
  3. Wax Stripping: Washing, especially with warm water or detergent, can strip some of the wax from the fabric. After washing, you might need to reapply wax to restore its water-resistant and protective properties. This is easily done using a wax bar and applying it in areas where protection is most needed.
  4. Drying: Air dry the pants to prevent heat from melting the wax. Avoid using a dryer, as the heat could melt and remove the wax, or even cause it to spread onto other garments.
By following these guidelines, you can maintain the wax's effectiveness without damaging your washing machine or other clothes.

How to Wax the BTM Pants​

• Take the Weatherproofing Wax Block and rub it with long, smooth strokes against the fabric, leaving behind a thin, even layer. Don't be afraid to put some elbow grease into this.
  • Using an iron (or hairdryer) on a low to moderate heat setting, melt the wax into the fabric. Use long, even strokes and make sure to not get the wax overly runny.
  • Repeat these steps if necessary for more coverage.