Best OTC/Freelance States/Hunts for 2024. Quick Opinions?

WCB

WKR
Just watch The Hunting Public shows on Youtube....Don't even have to ask, they just blow up states, counties, hell individual public sections.

Maverick1

WKR
Well I ate the $50 so I could get busy on here. I tried going back through old threads but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. Backstory. I'm 27, live in Northern New York. Uncertain on career going forward, no wife, no kids. Spontaneously trying to put together a trip west to do some hunting and feel out other areas of this country where I may jive better. In simple terms, not a fan of the policy in NY.. I'm thinking I'd be able to do a 2-3 week road trip sometime around last week of November, first week of December. Would like the area of focus to be mostly between the Rockies and the Mississippi, top to bottom. I know it's short notice. What freelance big game hunts would you guys recommend and why? I have enough connections I should be able to grab some waterfowl and upland hunts along the way. The big game hunts are foreign to me. No preference to Whitetail/Mulie, archery/muzzleloader/gun etc....just looking for an experience. All recommendations are welcomed. Should be able to PM as well. Thanks
You’ve been watching a lot of YouTube, haven’t you?

I went white tail deer hunting in Antarctica and had a great time.

I went white tail deer hunting in Antarctica and had a miserable time.

What do you get from either of those statements?

SloppyJ

WKR
If you're coming through Arkansas and you don't book a duck hunt around the central/eastern part of the state (Stuttgart) at the end of December, you're doing yourself a disservice. Do that on the way back to cap off the trip.

OP
L

Liberty

FNG
Classified Approved
You’ve been watching a lot of YouTube, haven’t you?

I went white tail deer hunting in Antarctica and had a great time.

I went white tail deer hunting in Antarctica and had a miserable time.

What do you get from either of those statements?
Pretty ignorant response. I've hunted whitetail my whole life in NY. Waterfowl since my buddies and I could start driving. I've run traplines, predator hunted, etc. Caught just about every fish NY has to offer both open water and through the ice. I don't live in the midwest/west. I was simply looking to hear suggestions of hunts people have had good experiences doing themselves. You might be bent out of shape by my post but I've had plenty of suggestions made on this thread that gave me some good ideas as well as numerous PM. So I guess I got that from my original post, well worth it.

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty ignorant response.

You can ask for people's opinion or get offended by it-not both.

Maverick made a pretty good point. What is a great experience for one person might not be for another...or for you. I posted on a hunt that I was excited about taking with my father. Someone commented that the area we were going wasn't very good. (That person has clearly never hunted with my dad; it doesn't take a Boone & Crocket entry to make a good hunt.)

OP
L

Liberty

FNG
Classified Approved
You can ask for people's opinion or get offended by it-not both.

Maverick made a pretty good point. What is a great experience for one person might not be for another...or for you. I posted on a hunt that I was excited about taking with my father. Someone commented that the area we were going wasn't very good. (That person has clearly never hunted with my dad; it doesn't take a Boone & Crocket entry to make a good hunt.)
He never gave me his opinion. He just simply went at my original post with sarcastic comments. I've valued every opinion people have given me so far. I actually have a lot of good leads to work with now from good, like minded people.

Maverick1

WKR
He never gave me his opinion. He just simply went at my original post with sarcastic comments. I've valued every opinion people have given me so far. I actually have a lot of good leads to work with now from good, like minded people.
And you never answered my questions:
1. You’ve been watching a lot of YouTube, haven’t you?
2. What do you get from either of those statements?

If you had put some thought into answering those questions, you would have seen they were not "sarcastic comments", nor was my response "pretty ignorant".

BTW: I never "went at your original post". If I had chosen to do so, it would have looked something like this:
Well I ate the $50 so I could get busy on here.
- Irrelevant how you signed up. Complaining about the fee that you chose to pay is a violation of the forum rules and etiquette

I tried going back through old threads but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.
- Use the search function. There are plenty of threads on this site. Even one from just a week ago, Out of State Hunting. Or, What OTC Elk tags are still available? How about What is a good public land whitetail state in the midwest? These three threads are ALL from the last 3 months, and there are plenty more. Clearly, the search function was not used with much effort.

Backstory. I'm 27, live in Northern New York. Uncertain on career going forward, no wife, no kids.
- Irrelevant.

Spontaneously trying to put together a trip west to do some hunting and feel out other areas of this country where I may jive better. In simple terms, not a fan of the policy in NY..
- Not certain exactly what "the policy" is in NY, or how it impacts your hunting. From the first seven posts on this site, indications are that challenges may exist in finding a place to "jive better".

Enough of "going after your original post". This thread violates the forum rules and etiquette in a couple of different ways.
Do not make your first post asking for knowledge of certain areas. Every year the members of Rokslide see the same posts regurgitated over and over again that look something like this....... "Hey guys, I drew unit 1234567 tag and never been there where is the best spots to go?" 90% of the time, this is the user's FIRST post, and many times their last post as well, as they never return to post on the forum again. People are more likely to share information with people they somewhat trust, (as much trust as u can give someone on an online forum anyway) that they have seen contributing to the forum, posting and commenting for some time etc. I guarantee there is a difference in the amount and type of feedback someone gets who posts the above question as their 1st post vs someone posting the same questions and it's there 500th post. In general I’d say make an introduction post, some congratulations comments or thanks for any helpful info you find, use the like button instead posting something like “good, okay”. Show some enthusiasm and initiative towards the hunt your asking questions about also gratitude to those who answer. Oh, a trip report is a great way to show thanks to the guy who shared their information with you.

Don't post on the forum complaining or bitching about the 10 post rule for posting in the classified section. It's there for a reason, read the rules and you will know why. Don't try to circumvent this either by posting that u have a backpack for sale in the backpack forum!!

The three links provided above should be enough to get you heading in the right direction. I was considering helping you out further, but after reading your first seven posts on this forum, have decided against such action.

Good luck with your season and road trip adventures.