Best non custom mountain rifle

Wrongside

WKR
I bought a Forbes 20B a couple weeks ago, failed to eject, stock was horrible, action was gritty. I sent it back and bought a Kimber MA and couldn't be happier.

I was dead set on buying one of these in LH. Really one of the only truly lightweight factory rifles to ever be offered to southpaws. But the feedback has been so lukewarm, or awful, I'll be taking a pass. Way to much coin for mediocre craftsmanship on a rifle.

lee peet

FNG
For you guys making your Montana's lighter then a mountain ascent how are you doing that? I've got a montana in 270wsm and would really like to lighten it up.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For you guys making your Montana's lighter then a mountain ascent how are you doing that? I've got a montana in 270wsm and would really like to lighten it up.

This might help:
http://www.thealaskalife.com/guns/kimber-rifles/

That said Kimber doesn't make the Ascent on the 8400 (WSM) platform just the 84M and 84L, both of which are quite a bit lighter than the WSM or 8400 platform.

Blaser k95 with a leupold FXIII 6x. Maybe a 2.5-8 in a 6.5 Swede or 257 weatherby. The gun alone is 5.5 lbs. You only need one shot...these are pricey so could probably count as non custom or custom.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I happened into a Model 7 xcr camo/ fluted barrel in .300WSM
I am thrilled with it. I installed a Zeiss 3 x 9 conquest
great rifle I do not understand why Remington stopped making them.

Shrek

WKR
I happened into a Model 7 xcr camo/ fluted barrel in .300WSM
I am thrilled with it. I installed a Zeiss 3 x 9 conquest
great rifle I do not understand why Remington stopped making them.

The model 7 was supposed to be a price point rifle but it was too good and was too close to the flagship model 700. Remington killed it so it wouldn't compete with the M700 and brought out a parade of really cheap rifles like the 770 to sell the Walmarts of the world. Model 7's like it's predecessor the Model 788 were just too good to continue.

for a while the custom shop was making a mod 7 alaskan. syn stock ss bbl but black and put together 1st class . came so close to buying one but the high price kept me off. see one on gunbroker occasionally . still looking tho......

Typical Remington style. What made it worse was Remington actually believing and marketing the Tupperware piece of crap as some how superior to the model seven. Who knows what the retards at Remington we're thinking. And who knows what they will think of next. But I'm sure it's something to replace the 700 with something just as trashy as the 770

PA 5-0

WKR
As a bone stock gun, I have a Gen 1 Rem 700TI in .300SAUM. Still working it a bit but it shoots an inch at 100 with the heavy stock trigger. And if pressed, I think I could shoot it one handed, its that light weight.

Hey guys, just chiming in here again. After being frustrated with the stock trigger on this gun, I did a self install on a Timney. With stock Rem 165gr bullets, my boy and I were smacking steel out to 600yds yesterday. We had a 4 shot group at 600 right at 10", which I thought was pretty tight for a bone stock, light weight gun(excluding trigger). We were shooting off of sandbags, no vice or sled. Had a 3" group at 400. I have always said a trigger job is the best money u can spend on a rifle. The TI and I will be dropping into the Brooks Range on Saturday!!! PUMPED!!!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ol' Remington 660 mag, in 6.5mm Rem Mag. In stock form they have a 20" barrel, laminated stock, free floated barrel and glass bedded action, with an adjustable trigger. They will shoot very tight groups, are light weight and will kill just about anything and with handloads they are very versatile.

Mike

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ol' Remington 660 mag, in 6.5mm Rem Mag. In stock form they have a 20" barrel, laminated stock, free floated barrel and glass bedded action, with an adjustable trigger. They will shoot very tight groups, are light weight and will kill just about anything and with handloads they are very versatile.

Mike
Amen, and for high bear country the 350 remmy in the 660.

Last edited:

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the best non custom lightweight rifle is the Kimber 84M in .308 followed closely by the 7mm -08. If on a stricter budget, get the Tikka T3 Lite in either SS or blued and save about $500 - also in 308Win.. I have both and the Tikka generally outshoots the Kimber but that is my fault. The lightweight Kimber, setup with Talleys and a Leupy 2-7x33 weighs in at 5# 14oz.. The similarly setup Tikka if 7# even. The Kimber will demonstrate to you any faults in your consistent shooting form.
Some have complained about the less than stellar performance of the Kimber over on another site. Much has been written about the "tweaks" that need to be done.
Some have merit while others are psychological.

Tikkas have been the most consistent performing rifles I've owned. Some discredit the "plastic" parts but go look at your 100 yd. target first. Others worry over the lack of CRF, 2 vs. 3 position safety and a drop magazine, but go look at your 200 yd. target next. Think of them as a Sako 'on sale'.

Over a year ago I thought the Forbes 24B (30-06) was going to be "the one". Yes it was consistently accurate but the closed grip kept wrapping my finger and the bolt had a gritty feeling.

16Bore

WKR
Haven't even put a round down the tube yet, but at 7#2oz, it's a peach. Put a Tikka in a real handle and you're in Montucky money....

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm surprised that so many people have a problem with the Tikka stocks. While they obviously aren't a McMillan, they do work extremely well. I personally don't see much of a difference between them and a factory Remington or Savage stock. None of them are top quality.

16Bore

WKR
They are better than most OEM Tupperware for sure. Quite a bit stiffer.