Best mechanical broad head for big game?

Cade2040

FNG
What is is best Mechanical broad head for Big Game? Bear,Moose,Caribou ,Elk,,Goats and Sheep

One that isn't making up for poor tuning.

Several suck, several are OK. Look at the blade angles. Laid back blades are going to be better than blades that are getting close to 90 degrees straight up.

Make sure your arrow is flying straight. If trying to find something that Flys like a field point, the bow needs to be tuned, then most everything will.

There's no one best, too many factors. If looking for best penetration, it certainly won't have the largest cutting diameter. I shoot a mech to get bigger cutting dia, fly in the wind a little better. If using a small mech like some of the 1.25" 3 blades, I'd just use a fixed blade instead, to others, that might not be what's important.

I really liked the old Spitfire, but they aren't the same anymore. I'm still using some of the old stock, probably switch to a Grim Reaper to replace them at some point. Played with Sevr 2.1 and 2.0 and haven't cared for them personally.

Bump79

WKR
I'm going to say Sevr 1.75. Maybe the new 1.5 hybrid but only in 125 grains in my opinion for Sevr. I'm not a huge fan of 2 blade cuts so the hole needs to be bigger if 2b but that's just me.

Then I'd say Evolution Hyde but that's a big cut for moose IMHO unless your over both 30" and over 75# with a stiff arrow. People swear by Grim Reapers but I've seen to many broken blades for me to care for that and the deployment seems cheesy to me.

These are on my list to test. This one is interesting as it's an adjustable cut. So you could with one head lay back the blade angle for a smaller cut and more penetration. Then on smaller game widen it out.

What's changed on them? I still have a few from awhile ago, but was wondering if they're even still made in the USA.

I think that's the nail on the head.

If I remember correctly, maybe 8 years ago? They switched production, I'm thinking NAP was sold, they started to be produced in China I believe.

Blade quality went down, edge retention particularly. The accuracy went down for me personally, and what I first noticed. I think a little more wobble in the ferrule. I bought up any of the old style packaging I could find and had a bunch of replacement blades, slowly working through them but also shooting a lot of different heads now.

I'll look to see what I can find to back up what I'm saying.

If I remember correctly, maybe 8 years ago? They switched production, I'm thinking NAP was sold, they started to be produced in China I believe.

Blade quality went down, edge retention particularly. The accuracy went down for me personally, and what I first noticed. I think a little more wobble in the ferrule. I bought up any of the old style packaging I could find and had a bunch of replacement blades, slowly working through them but also shooting a lot of different heads now.

So it was '18.

I checked an old package(Thunderheads), and it has no country of manufacturer. I was thinking the blades were made close to me by a company called American Safety Razor, they made blades for Wasp and Muzzy too for a time. Package has a rubber stamp on the inside that is either 2003 or 2008, it's smugged a little, I'd bet '03.

New production says made in Taiwan.

So it was '18.

I checked an old package(Thunderheads), and it has no country of manufacturer. I was thinking the blades were made close to me by a company called American Safety Razor, they made blades for Wasp and Muzzy too for a time. Package has a rubber stamp on the inside that is either 2003 or 2008, it's smugged a little, I'd bet '03.

New production says made in Taiwan.

I was thinking it was before '18, sold previously in '14.

Just getting passed around, it's unfortunate how good archery companies get sucked up by investment groups. But you can generally make more money selling a company than running one, and it's way less headache.

Reactions: Zac

Bump79

WKR

@5MilesBack They actually came out with a Grade 5 Titanium version of the spitfire. Originally the branded it as a Truglo - now they brought it back to NAP. So they are clearing out the TI Truglo version. It's a solid head. Blade sharpness out of the box actually wasn't bad. A quick strop and I'd put them in my quiver. We'll see if I pack them or not.

@5MilesBack They actually came out with a Grade 5 Titanium version of the spitfire. Originally the branded it as a Truglo - now they brought it back to NAP. So they are clearing out the TI Truglo version. It's a solid head. Blade sharpness out of the box actually wasn't bad. A quick strop and I'd put them in my quiver. We'll see if I pack them or not.

Man, I might order some to try for the price, tho I'd bet it's same blade quality I have seen for a while now.

Screenshot_20240813_101111_Chrome.jpg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's too bad about the Spitfires, I hate chinese steel that needs to sharpen and hold an edge. I just ordered a couple packs of the Tru Glo Titanium heads. I use 125's but if nothing else I'll destroy these testing them shooting them into and through hard stuff.......and maybe an elk if they pass my testing.

I wondered about the Spitfires because Bass Pro has them on sale for $19.99. I've posted this and the pic before, but kind of funny because back in 2012 after trying a GR at 80 yards in the wind, I went looking for Grim Reaper 125gr heads locally and couldn't find any. But Dick's had Spitfires on sale for $19.99, so I bought a pack to try out. The first thing I noticed was how sharp they were. The second was shooting the same head into a 3" bullseye from 60 four times in a row. I was sold, and went back to Dicks and bought them out.....I think they had 5 packs of the 125's. Then I shot a big bull in September that year and was even more impressed. Hard quartering away uphill 59 yard shot buried inside the bull and left this blood trail.
Blood.JPGElk1.JPG

I also tried the Grim Reaper Fatal Steel 125's in 2016 and they worked great on the bull in my avatar......30 yards and slight quartering to me. Went through the bottom of the shoulder blade as well, and the bull went down 37 yards from where he was shot. Fastest recovery I've had.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
I’d say that you should shoot a forgiving fixed blade like the Evolution. I guess if you just have to use a mech then I would also go for Evolution, or the Beast.

I've had good luck with the 1.75" Sevr heads, bought some of the 1.5" hybrids to try this year. Clean pass throughs on whitetails in Texas and a mule deer buck last year in Wyoming. Shot a 400lb boar hog right behind the shoulder at 43 yards quartering away, and it stuck in the opposite shoulder. He ran about 60 yards and piled up. Followed a good blood trail right to him. While I haven't shot any yet, I have good things about the Evolution Hyde heads also.

06 SB

Lil-Rokslider
I have had 100% success with Rocket Steelhead 100s but they are no longer made. I have had 100% success with Slick Trick Magnums too. Using a well tuned bow, hitting in the right spot from a good angle with a SHARP broadhead is more important than the brand.

kcm2

WKR
I've killed three good sized hogs (155, 180 and 235 lbs) with the Ramcat Hemoshock. The ranch I'm hunting elk on this year has a preference for expandables, the 2nd outfitter in a row who has told me that. This outfitter/rancher prefers the Shwacker 261. I'm going to use the Hemoshock and the standard Ramcats. I suspect they will do very well.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a bull last year with a Sevr 1.5". 27 yard shot, slightly quartering to, 425 grain arrow doing about 270 fps. Center lung shot, went clear through. Bull ran about 60 yards.
The arrow went in between ribs and notched about half a rib on the way out. The entry side was the full cut, the exit was about 1", from the blade that hit the rib pivoting.
The ferrule still spun well, the blades were bent and had to be replaced.
I do find blades to not be as sharp as I want and resharpen them right out of the package using a KME broadhead jig.
I would shoot an elk with one again but do kind of feel "meh" about them.
I have some G5 Deadmeat's, will have one of them first in the quiver this year to hopefully test them out on something. They are pretty sharp right out of the package. My only complaint about them is the plastic lock collars for the blades tend to wear out pretty fast if you click the blades in/out of them very many times.

Reactions: Zac