Best Long Range Hunting Caliber for Short Action??

rootacres

WKR
I am running the same combo. 22” proof 7 saum on an origin action. Berger 168 vld but with h1000 and at 2970fps. I tried h4350 but couldn’t get the velocity. Absolutely love that setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s your load data with the H1000? For the first time I have some H1000 sitting around. I’ve always used H4350, the SDs have been great but I know other powders are better for unwrapping some velocity.

66gr of h1000. I tried h4350 also and numbers and groups were excellent in all of the ladder work but the velocity was slower than I wanted. 66gr had good speed, accuracy, and sd was around 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
7 SAUM

I run mine with 168 VLDs. Recoil is mild, bucks the wind well, delivers some payload at distance. Ive laid down all my elk and deer with that caliber. I use it as a preference over my 300 PRC.

For what it’s worth, I shot my first NRL hunter match with the SAUM earlier this year. I liked playing the game so I order a 6.5 creed barrel. Right now I use my HNT chassis and origin action with 2 different barrels (7 SAUM / 6.5 creed) and 2 different scopes (Nightforce for hunting / MK5 for NRL).

View attachment 645989
Do you have a picture of a loaded 7 Saum with 168?

Wrench

WKR
At 7-800....the creed isn't lacking.

If .024-
044" in diameter makes the difference, a 300wsm or 7 saum will deliver as well.....but just do the same job.

wabash503

Lil-Rokslider
I'm building a 6.5 Creedmoor for NRL Hunter on a TL3 action. I would like one rifle that I can use for hunting and matches. Obviously 6.5 Creedmoor is not the ideal long range hunting cartridge. With the TL3 I can easily switch barrels, so trying to decide on a long range hunting caliber for a second barrel that will fit a short action. Looking at 6.5 PRC, 7 SS, 7 SAUM. I know short action is going to limit the performance on the 6.5 PRC and 7 SAUM and not sure I want to go down the wildcat rabbit hole. 700-800 yards is really my max range I would shoot for up to Elk size game. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Those all require a magnum bolt face... Make sure you can switch the bolt or bolt body in addition to the barrel.

JackFlack

FNG
For short action, I'm very intrigued by the 6.8 western. Unfortunately, it isn't getting a lot of love yet (these days?). Hornady is doing its best to kill it b/c of the competition with the 7PRC. Plus, I'm not really loving the choice of rifles, so if I were to go with it now, I'd probably have to try to build some sort of custom rifle, and I'm not sure I'm up to that at this point in my learning. Still, with the military being enamored with the 277 fury, I have high hopes for the 6.8 caliber at some point.

JackFlack

FNG
Are they really though?

Who's actually issuing a bunch of 277 fury chambered weapons thus far?
You may be right. I personally don't expect widespread adoption by the civilian market of the 277 fury (at least not to the extent of the 5.56). The military adopted the cartridge in 2022 and I'm not totally sure what has happened since then. I've read some speculation that the cartridge will be limited to certain units or MOS. Still, assuming it sees some adoption by the military, I expect that they will want bullets that meet certain standards. So I do have hope that we'll see better support from the manufacturers for the .277 caliber, which will be a boon for handloaders.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You may be right. I personally don't expect widespread adoption by the civilian market of the 277 fury (at least not to the extent of the 5.56). The military adopted the cartridge in 2022 and I'm not totally sure what has happened since then. I've read some speculation that the cartridge will be limited to certain units or MOS. Still, assuming it sees some adoption by the military, I expect that they will want bullets that meet certain standards. So I do have hope that we'll see better support from the manufacturers for the .277 caliber, which will be a boon for handloaders.

The required projectiles for the 6.8x51mm are short and stubby. They aren’t high BC projectiles.

I hope there is a benefit to the 277 bullet options for folks who have chosen that direction but I'm just skeptical and feel like people often infer too much about impacts to civilian shooters based on little tidbits of military weapon awards.

I cant help but see a lot of possible issues with the 277 when it comes to the high pressure levels, recoil, steel cases wearing on barrels, ect compared to the 556.

WSMHNTR

FNG
The Shermans are a great option for a short or even mid length round in a Tikka. If you're not a reloader however they are probably out of the running. Something in a 6.5SS or Max would be ideal I think