Best, Lightest, Tripod Head

Guys,

I have a Gitzo and an Outdoorsman head. Great setup but the head is so heavy! What is the best and lightest head.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are you running on the head? The outdoorsman micro is supposed to be impressive, but your not getting a huge spotter on there

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Even the big head from Outdoorsman's is only 11oz. Other than Outdoorsman's or KDC, good luck finding a lighter head that will handle the weight.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been running the regular pan head from outdoorsmans the last few weeks, and I wouldn't switch from that. I ran my 95mm swaro with a digiscoping attached and it handled it awesome. At 11 oz and small in size you can't go wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
I don't know what the weight is, but I like my Jim White head. Don't know how hard it is to find a used one now.

1signguy

WKR
I was at the Outdoorsman the other day and you can run the big 95 ATX no problem. I run their micro with my ATX and it's just fine... I was going to buy the bigger pan head and they said either will work just fine...

sneaky

"DADDY"
I was at the Outdoorsman the other day and you can run the big 95 ATX no problem. I run their micro with my ATX and it's just fine... I was going to buy the bigger pan head and they said either will work just fine...

Funny that they told me the opposite. They said if you're running the big glass to get the standard head, 65 spotters and Binos to run the micro. Talked to them at the Expo when I picked up my standard. Four ounce difference to me can be made up somewhere less critical.

1signguy

WKR
It is interesting that we got two different answers. I run the micro and it certainly seems capable of running the 95 as I was told. However, if I had a 95 I would probably buy an additional "car" tripod and would certainly consider the bigger pan head for it. The extra 4 ounces is no big deal but the space was a consideration for me...

RyanC

WKR
If you think the Outdoorsmans Pan Head is too heavy you are going to be disappointed looking for one that is lighter and functions as well. But if you need something lighter, the Outdoorsmans Micro Pan Head is about as lightweight as you're going to get. If it were me.... I would just keep what you have and spend my money on other gear.

dotman

WKR
Funny that they told me the opposite. They said if you're running the big glass to get the standard head, 65 spotters and Binos to run the micro. Talked to them at the Expo when I picked up my standard. Four ounce difference to me can be made up somewhere less critical.

I think the micro could handle the 95 no problem but the reg would be better probably. I only went micro because I use binos 85% of the time when glassing. Had both and just preferred the twist lock handle of the micro.

frankrb3

WKR
Guys,

I have a Gitzo and an Outdoorsman head. Great setup but the head is so heavy! What is the best and lightest head.

That head is not heavy, it's a little over half a pound. To save 3.4 oz you could go with the micro panhead and be just under half a pound. To be honest though, if you think .69 pounds is "so heavy!" then i would bet you would think the micro pan head to be heavy as well. Good luck and let us know what you find in your quest for best and lightest.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think we've been trolled. No response in over two weeks from the OP. Maybe he's looking for a titanium/cf version of the outdoorsmans heads.

Block

WKR
Not tryin to bash Outdoorsman at all.. I own and LOVE my medium tripod. But I REALLY think you guys are crazy for all the praise on the micro head... go buy a Sirui VA-5 for $130 and you will quickly sell ur micro...

Not tryin to bash Outdoorsman at all.. I own and LOVE my medium tripod. But I REALLY think you guys are crazy for all the praise on the micro head... go buy a Sirui VA-5 for $130 and you will quickly sell ur micro...

The VA-5 weighs a full half a pound more than the Outdoorsmans regular and the Jim White 2.0 Pan heads. I don’t think the VA-5 is anywhere as sturdy as the regular sized Outdoorsmans either. I know some guys shoot off the Sirui heads, but they just don’t seem very strong.

I agree with you on the ”Micro Pan Head”, to me it didn’t balance well with the pan feature so high above the tilt mechanism. In my opinion it’s not worth the weight savings between the Outdoorsmans regular and Jim White pan heads.

Really Right Stuff makes a little ball head that is pretty strong and smooth. As far as functional and lightweight, this might be one of the lightest until you get to Kramer Designs ball head.

I’m new to using ball heads and I don’t have a lot of time yet behind the new RRS anvil, so far I am liking it though. It’s a little heavier than the Jim White 2.0 pan head that uses Arca standard plates.

Block

WKR
The VA-5 weighs a full half a pound more than the Outdoorsmans regular and the Jim White 2.0 Pan heads. I don’t think the VA-5 is anywhere as sturdy as the regular sized Outdoorsmans either. I know some guys shoot off the Sirui heads, but they just don’t seem very strong.

I agree with you on the ”Micro Pan Head”, to me it didn’t balance well with the pan feature so high above the tilt mechanism. In my opinion it’s not worth the weight savings between the Outdoorsmans regular and Jim White pan heads.

Really Right Stuff makes a little ball head that is pretty strong and smooth. As far as functional and lightweight, this might be one of the lightest until you get to Kramer Designs ball head.

I’m new to using ball heads and I don’t have a lot of time yet behind the new RRS anvil, so far I am liking it though. It’s a little heavier than the Jim White 2.0 pan head that uses Arca standard plates.

By all means I’d take the regular or the 2.0 if they weren’t 3x the price of the Sirui. 8 oz for $300 extra is a tough call... for the $ the Sirui is awesome

I’m actually looking for something super light for longer backpack hunts,, but I’ll eat the 8oz over using a ballhead or spending $400

By all means I’d take the regular or the 2.0 if they weren’t 3x the price of the Sirui. 8 oz for $300 extra is a tough call... for the $ the Sirui is awesome

I’m actually looking for something super light for longer backpack hunts,, but I’ll eat the 8oz over using a ballhead or spending $400

You spent a small fortune on your made in USA 🇺🇸 Outdoorsmans and you saved some money to buy made in China 🇨🇳 Sirui head? I’m not knocking it, it just made me chuckle a bit. A lot of guys really like those Sirui heads, I’ve only checked them out while shopping.