Tripod head questions

H80Hunter

WKR
Ok, I can’t find the answer to my question. I have a pretty basic black Ovis alpine carbon tripod. It’s light and works fine as far as I can tell.

What I can’t figure out is this: the head isn’t really level so it makes it goofy to shoot off of because it’s just not level. I can’t see any way to level it? Can I buy a different head to be able to level? This tripod is light and seems useful but I’d love to replace the head if it would make it easier to shoot off of.

Before you ask, I know this tripod has one longer leg but with that toward me or away from me I should be able to get the head level.

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
Couple pics. The leg with the foam handle is longer when unextended (and extends further for being on a downslope) but that’s not my problem here.

Attachments

• IMG_3472.jpeg
    IMG_3472.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3471.jpeg
    IMG_3471.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 23
OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
I see the Siri VA-5 head has good reviews. I’m just not sure if that fixed my problem. Should buy a better head? I can level this one with the leg lengths but it’s not ideal for shooting.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Pan heads are not the choice for shooting off of. Id sooner shoot off a sandbag on top the tripod.

Get a ball head. They make them with panning bases if panning is important to you for glassing.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
Ok, I can’t find the answer to my question. I have a pretty basic black Ovis alpine carbon tripod. It’s light and works fine as far as I can tell.

What I can’t figure out is this: the head isn’t really level so it makes it goofy to shoot off of because it’s just not level. I can’t see any way to level it? Can I buy a different head to be able to level? This tripod is light and seems useful but I’d love to replace the head if it would make it easier to shoot off of.

Before you ask, I know this tripod has one longer leg but with that toward me or away from me I should be able to get the head level.
There are also leveling plates that go between the head and tripod, but they are not light weight or fast.
A3F957CE-99B7-4DC6-A5F1-94B1077963BC.jpeg

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
Do you think I’d be better off getting a different head? This is primarily for glassing but I’d like the option to be able to shoot As well.

The whole world of all this tripod stuff is confusing.

fbhandler

WKR
What you have there is a pan head. You’ll have to adjust the legs to what ever height is needed to level the head (regardless if the legs are extended to the same length or not). Also, when using a pan head to shoot off of (I do) I use the the bubble on my rifle (that’s actually what matters) and not the tripod (theoretically they should be the same). A ball head makes this process easier as you can cant your rifle separately from the head base and tripod.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pan heads like you have get a bag over them or a plate with a bag so you can level up the rifle.

Ball heads or leveling bases can get you level to shoot off of. These are the kind that allow you to clip your rifle into.

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
Ok great, thanks.

I think I finally get it. Anyone use the Sirui K-10x?