Best items to take on your carry on pack

Hessticles

Lil-Rokslider
What are things you take in your carry on vs your checked luggage? Anything you have to put in your carry on according to airlines? I dont fly alot so any flying tips are welcome!

Optics went in my carry on. Also a cell phone recharger battery pack. Between clothes in the bag and what I wore I could have hunted if necessary. Check the regs. I think I had my lithium batteries in the carry on also.

Double-check TSA current regulations regarding carry-on and checked items...it's a bit of a moving target over time to determine what is ok and not ok....check the current regulations....don't rely on verbal report of others.

Essentially, within allowable regulations, my carry-on items are all items that I really MUST have to get by at the very beginning when I get there, medications, as well as expensive gear that I don't want out of my sight.

Sometimes checked bags can get bumped and then catch-up with you...hopefully it all arrives for each of us with us.

Last edited:
Definitely don’t check fuel or you will be losing all your baggage. Lighters, matches, lithium ion batteries, and power banks are items that are typically brought on a hunt that are allowed in carry on but not checked. Bug dope in checked bag; even if it’s pump style. If I have room in my gun case, I’ll lock small optics in there. Don’t put optics (or anything expensive like inreach, solar panel) in an unlocked and/or soft bag - gun case or carry on. If I’m flying other than AK Airlines (Ravn, PennAir, Grant, etc.) I’ll throw a sidearm in my checked bag to require it by law to be on the flight with me. That seems excessive, but I’ve spent 5 years flying several times a month basically everywhere in AK and it’s about 50/50 to get your bags on them smaller airlines.

I typically don't sweat it when t comes to carry-on packing. I do tend to pack my carry-on as heavily as possible, but that's simply to lighten the load in my 2 big duffles.

Many years ago I ended up on a flight which didn't have room for my carry-on, and I had to check it at the gate. No problem. It happened another time...no problem. I kind of liked the freedom of no 25+ pound bag to screw around with in the airport or on a plane. So I started intentionally packing the bag knowing I was going to ask to gate-check it. When I get to the gate I ask them to gate-check my bag all the way to my destination. They verify my ticket and then print bag tags and a claim ticket. The (locked securely) carry-on goes to a baggage person at the bottom of the jetway. I get on the plane with only a small messenger bag carrying essentials.

Call me whatever but I've never had a problem doing this. My carry-on is always on the carousel. I don't worry about breakage or theft. The best thing is I don't need overhead bin space. I could care less about early boarding or shuffling in a crowded ticket line. I can be the last guy on the plane and all I have to do is go sit down. And I get a free bag on the plane. And I can run around in airports without the hassle.

I'm with Kevin on this. I fly for work at least once a week and almost always gate check my carry on. On most flights they run out of OH space and will offer to check your bags for free and even if they don't offer, I've never been charged.

Nothing worse than being in a seat on the front of the plane with a late boarding group and no OH space until the back of the plane. Trying to swim upstream to retrieve your carry on is no fun. In all my flights, I've never once had my gate checked bag late or a no-show. Knock on wood.

I haven't flown much, but I have personally watched a bag miss the baggage chute and fall all
the
way
down
to the
tarmac.
So, I know that doesn't always happen but I keep that in mind when I pack my bags.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back