Best hunting knife

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I've owned a lot of different Barkies over the years- always solid knives

I've also always liked the look of canvas micarta, just haven't owned one handled with it- yet :D

Jlt1313

FNG
I've tried a lot of hunting knives from fixed to disposable ones. It seems like I'm wanting more when it comes to the disposable ones as far as their ability to hold a blade. For the fixed-blade ones, I have to carry a sharpening stone which means more weight in my pack.
I do the same. Do you have any favorite model of knife you prefer using than others?

Wish I could find one of these in stock at a retailer. This design lay out looks pretty great for large game. Unfortunately, they haven't produced any in quite a while, that I am aware of at this time.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

Wish I could find one of these in stock at a retailer. This design lay out looks pretty great for large game. Unfortunately, they haven't produced any in quite a while, that I am aware of at this time.

yeah that's a nice design that would be suitable for breaking down big game, never heard of that steel before- interesting

looks like you can preorder them here (says delayed by manufacturer)

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP...plain-blade-black-g10-handles-boltaron-sheath

@mtwarden

Yes, several are listed that way on different sites. However, this was part of a reply from direct correspondence with Spyderco,

"That product has not been discontinued as of yet. Unfortunately, we are unable to accurately provide any lead time for replenishment of our products. Due to fluxuation in manufacturing and shipping processes as well as global events, those products could come back in stock in the very near or relatively distant future and we are unfortunately kept somewhat in the dark about the specifics on each of them."

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ interesting, I wonder if it's the steel they're using- definitely not a run of the mill steel

Jakerex

WKR
What the hell are some of you doing with a knife that it won’t “complete the job” for one animal? Or are they not sharp to begin with?

My go-to is a Keeshaw 1050. I sharpen it every couple years after a handful of animals. IMO, the 1050 is one of the nicest hunting knives ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfs82

WKR
lc200n is as corrosion proof as possible with high toughness for stainless, mediocre edge retention (think good aeb-l or 14c28n)

I really like LC200N for most situations; being ultra-stainless and extremely tough is great for regular use around salt water, and although it needs more frequent sharpening than more-brittle premium steels, the wear resistance is still pretty respectable. Plus I'd way rather deal with a touching up the edge than having to hone out a chip.

In large part because it uses such a stress-free steel, I carry the Spydiechef more often than any other for general-purpose duty.

For a pure hunting knife, on the other hand, I like a fixed blade in a somewhat harder steel (Magnacut, Cru-Wear, or S45VN, for example, depending on whether I want more toughness or more wear resistance).

For a pure hunting knife, on the other hand, I like a fixed blade in a somewhat harder steel (Magnacut, Cru-Wear, or S45VN, for example, depending on whether I want more toughness or more wear resistance).

MagnaCut is looking to be the answer to all the above now, esp since it surprisingly performed so well with corrosion resistance.

My two favorites:

The Havalon with a 60XT blade has excellent retention. You couldn't give me the 60A blade.
The Outdoor Edge Razorpro has provided good blade retention as well.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
That’s odd,seems most like the 60a.
What do you like about the 60xt.
Thanks

My two favorites:
Funny,Ben greenfield promotes the rewind,he promotes anything given to him.