Best hunting knife

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see the Altitude has been discontinued- hmmm thought it was a pretty decent seller, evidently not

jfs82

WKR
I've been using the ridge s90v knife (good but not perfect) with a spyderco endela in 20cv in the pocket. I don't like the waste of the havalon style.

I have the 5” outdoor edge folder - used it on an alaskan moose hunt this year and it was awesome.

For non replaceable I am a huge fan of benchmade. S30v or s90v will hold an edge through multiple elk before sharpening. As an added benefit, benchmade will sharpen them for free.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used both fixed and replaceable blade, and still carry both.

I have a dozier guide that stays on my hip as both all around knife and for cutting up game. I picked up a Tyto a few years back and love it. I’ve used the 60xt blades as these have been way stronger for me than the 60a blades. I’ve broken down an elk and about a half dozen deer so far with the Tyto and really like it.

I no longer carry a sharpening stone and haven’t found me wanting one while breaking down an animal , with using this system of both fixed and replaceable blade knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a BM altitude to try out, but I have no need for it.

PM me if you want to try it out. I just got it back from life-sharp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Never felt the need to carry it in my pack but do keep it in the truck along with a couple strips of 1000 grit sandpaper and some clips. Easy to make with a paint stick and some leather.
EB0FD5C6-5559-43F6-BE08-806EA328BEB7.jpeg

Still a big fan of the lt Wright small northern hunter as my hunting knife. But it’s well in the double digits now off deer it’s cut up and I’m itching for something new.

jpadia

FNG
Classified Approved
For anyone who carries the DMT little 4” whetstones if you were to carry one in field what would be? Fine, extra fine, etc.
I have a fine and extra fine 4" stone in my kit. I carry the fine in the field but this is because I always have a ceramic rod to do quick touch ups. The fine stone is if I let it get too dull and need to work the edge a bit more aggressively to get it back before the ceramic rod.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like still some on the shelf from some retailers, but officially discontinued :(

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
I learned from a meat cutter how to bone out critters in the field and stop carrying bone out of the hills. I carry a Forschner Boning Knife and a Lansky ceramic honing rod. I wrap these two (the knife has a custom sheath) in an apron and put in the bottom of my pack down by the kill bags (and bottle.)

Works great.

Brendan

WKR
I go back and forth on this one - I went through a period of using exclusively Havalon - they are still pretty damn easy in certain scenarios and I have no interest in sharpening in the field or when I'm processing an animal. But, since I found a sharpening routine for my knives that have better steel and gotten better and more repeatable at it I may be moving back towards "real" knives.

Benchmade Griptillian is my EDC and stays in my pocket. Will probably end up carrying the Iron Will K1 and K2 in the field with their carbide touch up sharpener, and do the real sharpening at home as needed. Edge retention on the Iron Will should make it such that I probably don't even need to touch up the blades.

I think the other reason I'm moving away from Havalon is the stupid amount of money I've spent on sharpening gear recently that I need to justify, but that's a different story :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

VA2MT

Lil-Rokslider
the Havalon blades that I have used were extremely brittle and broke easily. Not a lot of fun digging through a cavity in the dark looking for it. Also have a Outdoor edge which is a lot more durable and practical for my use. With that said I mainly use my fixed blade ESSE 4. Keeps an edge while field dressing two elk. Lots of good choices out there..

Norden Knives ascent is by far my favorite. Stays sharp as long if not longer than any other knife I have had. Broke down my elk this year and only touched up the blade twice.

While I wouldnt say they're the best, I have three that I really like, and swtch up back and forth. The top is a J A Henckels that I've used for over 35 years, and still always rides in my pack.

The last 6 or 7 years I've been giving the Grohmann #1 (middle) and # 3 (bottom) a lot of work. The #1 has probably become my new favorite. Very well balanced and manueverable.20180924_092516.jpg

Last edited:
I wish they'd remake that in magnacut.
I've been searching for the perfect hunting knife since I was 12yrs old. No luck yet but it never deters me from adding more to the collection.

After being very tempted by @sndmn11 to pick up the new mule team m398 (still might), I instead pulled the trigger on a Spyderco Moran fixed that I've had my eye on for a long time. I'm thinking I might have a good contender as it ticks multiple boxes--Lightweight, quality steel, sharpening ease, ergonomic, flat ground with a good belly, forward finger choil with tapered bolsters, kydex sheath for ease of cleaning:
View attachment 491494View attachment 491493

Although I am slowly wading back into fixed blades I have been a replaceable blade convert for quite a few years and have tried multiple brands and styles. The biggest selling points for me is never having to worry about having a sharp blade and being able to keep the process of field dressing cleaner with blade changes:

View attachment 491520

Outdoor Edge Razor series-- these have been my favorite in considerable measure due to the strength the blade holder gives the blade spine. They can also handle joints fairly well. On the negative side, the blades are less sharp than a standard 60 xt. I usually will go through about 3’ish blades on elk. I've tried several different models but prefer the rubberized TPR handle on the Razorlite the most. I also really like filet style knives for game processing and plan to test the 5.0" Boning/Fillet blade version this next season. All models are a bit of a pain to clean blood and fat out of but are easily remedied with a soap/bleach soak.

Havalon--I've tried several models and have broken more blades than I can count and still get spooked by the sharpness and efficiency in which the blade can potentially remove fingers, and almost has. If you have a delicate touch and are meticulous with your field dressing, this is the knife for you. For my uncoordinated gorilla mitts, not so much. I also don't like having to carry extra equipment to switch blades out. However, I think havalons really shine with small game skinning and detail work.

Gerber Vital Folders--I used a buddy's Gerber vital on half an elk and couldn't get past how much the blade holder took away usable blade length. I would imagine the larger big game version works a little better. The Randy Newberg EBS looks interesting but the replacement blades are ridiculously expensive.

Tyto's-- I've played around with a few and they seem really nice but I just couldn’t stomach paying $100 for a CNC cutout.

Outside of replacement and fixed hunters, I would also give a big nod to any of the Victorinox fibrox boning knives. I use them routinely for butchering at home but have often contemplated taking them into the field. They win hands down for breaking down and deboning animals, just not sure if they would be as efficient for a bone in gutless method.
I ended up with the Spyderco moran (drop point) as well for similar reasons. I pulled the trigger on Black Friday when prices were very low. I had a chance to use it on a game damage elk hunt this morning. It stayed sharp the entire time, was well balanced and very comfortable to use even in frigid temps. I just finished cleaning it and touched up the edge on a whetstone, only a few swipes and it was hair shaving sharp again.

jpadia

FNG
Classified Approved
Norden Knives ascent is by far my favorite. Stays sharp as long if not longer than any other knife I have had. Broke down my elk this year and only touched up the blade twice.
I had to look that one up. Good looking blade and those materials are just meant for work. I like it.