Best hunting knife

bw0311

FNG
There are a bunch of good makers out there that can make a knife capable of so much. Steels such as S35VN, Magnacut, K390, D2, etc with thin edges and proper edge geometry will do a ton of work and be easy to sharpen when they need it.
One steel type i was surprised to see hit the knife scene is elmax. We use it in the moldmaking industry, and is tough to machine. Even before heat treat it eats up endmills and drills. Im sure it would hold an edge well, but good luck sharpening it in the field.

IMG_8514.jpg

The Cub isn't exactly a purpose-built hunting knife, but it works fine — and as a camp knife, it's hard to beat.

And although the Grizzly is obviously ridiculous, it sure makes chopping fun.

Last edited:

SwiftShot

WKR
I am very confused by these post. I have a 40 year old oldtimers sharp finger, I think. That can do a whole elk pretty easy. Just touch it up a little while going for optimal performance. Started carrying the little outdoor edge onyx and it will do a whole elk too. I like the sharp finger for capping better.

intunegp

WKR
One steel type i was surprised to see hit the knife scene is elmax. We use it in the moldmaking industry, and is tough to machine. Even before heat treat it eats up endmills and drills. Im sure it would hold an edge well, but good luck sharpening it in the field.

Elmax has been used for knife blades for a long time, it had to be at least 10 years ago I got my first folder with an Elmax blade. It's not any harder to sharpen than any other super steel, and with a good heat treat it performs great.

Yeah, Elmax sharpens just fine. And it’s pretty balanced as far as powder-metallurgy steels go, so it’s not even close to being the highest-edge-retention one, either. Look up Rex 121 or Maxamet if you want to see some really crazy levels of carbides and hardness ratings. 😁

bw0311

FNG
Elmax has been used for knife blades for a long time, it had to be at least 10 years ago I got my first folder with an Elmax blade. It's not any harder to sharpen than any other super steel, and with a good heat treat it performs great.
Good to hear. with what I said before, its hard milling pre-heat treat. but after heat treat, grinding and high speed hardcutting on it is on the tougher side but not the worst.

My favorite hunting knife is a fixed-blade, semi-skinner profile knife. I currently have several including ones from Tom Krein, Bob Dozier, Dan Crotts, and Wayne Hendrix. All are great knives. Here's my newest on from Dan Crotts.

Attachments

• CrottsSemiSkinner(3).jpg
    CrottsSemiSkinner(3).jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 56

Dbaer282

FNG
I use an Argali carbon and also carry a Montana Knife Company Stoned Goat on my pack. Either are a great option and both are easy to touch up.

I used a Buck 102 and 110 for years and still do sometimes but my main knives the last couple of years has been a little drop point made by Mike Miller and an Esee Emerson game knife.

The orange handle on the Esee has saved me from losing once already.

intunegp

WKR
For use as a hunting knife? 🤔

They're tough and they have great cutting geometry, plus super easy to disassemble and clean up when you're done. Not sure what models he's talking about but I've field dressed deer with a Sebenza, would have done it with a Nyala had the hunt been successful, and the new Backpacker and Inyoni both look like they'd make excellent hunting knives. I probably wouldn't go at an animal with one of the old one piece fixed blades or some of the larger more tactical fixed blades but CRK has plenty of options that would work well for hunting knives.