Best Hands Free Rifle Carrier, By Jake Lamphier

Tingrao

FNG
Thanks again for the great review and images too. I am looking to upgrade packs before next season and the gun sling is a consideration. Since I have no problem switching and intermixing equipment, I really appreciate you getting the Stone Glacier piece to work as a reference point for us DIY folks.

bluumoon

WKR
The universal Kifaru worked well for me on a Seek pack across three seasons this year, albeit with a couple minor adjustments. I didn't like the way the universal lower cradle strap wrapped around my hip belt and dug into my hip, so I used a gatekeeper strap to attach it to the molle webbing on the hip belt, huge improvement. Second improvement was to use a carabiner, secured around load lifter strap, to secure the quick release higher on my right shoulder strap and keep it from sliding down , this kept the rifle snug into my body and much more out of my vision. I think my biggest suggestion for improvement on it would be to make the quick release strap red or orange instead of the same black as all my other straps, still it was intuitively the strap that I grabbed when needed.

WyoHuntr

FNG
I wrap my Slik Sling in the other direction, and hook it around the top of my frame inside of my load lifter (SG Sky 5900) It sucks it up to the side of the pack instead of my shoulder. Still slides out smooth. I've actually been contemplating the Kifaru bottom. (I have one rifle on a Trekker stock that sticks a bit in the Slik).

I tried the Stone Glacier last year but the wind kept blowing the ribbon part out of the retainer. I needed the strap where i could find it every time.

Attachments

• 1669032822577.jpg
    1669032822577.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 81

Kurtm2323

FNG
I have been using the Kifaru gunbearer for a few years now and like it for most things. But, It is miserable to use with a headlamp. The shadow created by your gun is highly annoying and I end up just carrying my rifle. For this reason alone I'm looking at something that carries it behind my shoulder.

bluumoon

WKR
I have been using the Kifaru gunbearer for a few years now and like it for most things. But, It is miserable to use with a headlamp. The shadow created by your gun is highly annoying and I end up just carrying my rifle. For this reason alone I'm looking at something that carries it behind my shoulder
Try raising the position of the shoulder quick release. I attached mine to the shoulder strap where the riser strap attaches, no more wagging in front of my face, snugged tight to my shoulder.

Kurtm2323

FNG
Try raising the position of the shoulder quick release. I attached mine to the shoulder strap where the riser strap attaches, no more wagging in front of my face, snugged tight to my shoulder.
I guess I don't have any issues with it wagging in front of my face, my issue is the shadow the barrel creates from my headlamp.

bluumoon

WKR
I guess I don't have any issues with it wagging in front of my face, my issue is the shadow the barrel creates from my headlamp.
My barrel is pretty short, maybe more of an issue with a longer barrel/suppressor on the end. I haven't played with it, but seems like you should be able to mount the upper piece behind the shoulder some how.

asmxxiv

FNG
@lamp_ak thanks for the review. I switched from the SG to the Creative Outdoors Slik Sling 2 years ago and have been much happier with that setup for my needs. Divergent question: what is the stock wrap/dope card holder on your rifle?

ID_Matt

WKR
I wrap my Slik Sling in the other direction, and hook it around the top of my frame inside of my load lifter (SG Sky 5900) It sucks it up to the side of the pack instead of my shoulder. Still slides out smooth. I've actually been contemplating the Kifaru bottom. (I have one rifle on a Trekker stock that sticks a bit in the Slik).

I tried the Stone Glacier last year but the wind kept blowing the ribbon part out of the retainer. I needed the strap where i could find it every time.
Can you post a closer picture of this? Specifically where the securing strap ties in inside the load lifter

WyoHuntr

FNG
Can you post a closer picture of this? Specifically where the securing strap ties in inside the load lifter
Unfortunately, I won't be back home for several months. Wish I had a better photo from the season. (This was the best I could do)20221210_160429.jpg

Engineerd

FNG
Great write up and summary. I used the Gunbearer this year and loved it with the exeption of steep climbs. I found myself strapping my gun in the carry pocket of the pack in these situations.

TX_Diver

WKR
Slightly old thread but if you guys who are running a SG carrier on a kifaru frame could post some more pics that'd be appreciated! I'm looking to hang one off my 22 mag on a tactical lite frame.

Thanks!

Bubba_13

FNG
Thanks for the review was looking at the SG system and if it would work on packs that weren't SG.