Best Hands Free Rifle Carrier, By Jake Lamphier

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Jake there's two options for the SG carrier. Xcurve/crux Evo and one for the terminus. Do you recall which one you attached to your kifaru?

thej5

FNG
Hey Jake there's two options for the SG carrier. Xcurve/crux Evo and one for the terminus. Do you recall which one you attached to your kifaru?
I’ll be curious to hear the answer. It looks like the thing you really need to be sure is included is the slider (SG marketing sort of hilariously calls it the “quick release conversion kit”).

I got horribly confused during my first installation (on a SG pack) when the video kept referencing a slider that wasn’t in the package. Turns out I didn’t need it for my pack…but worth double checking with SG that it IS included in the base sling now…or if it has to be purchased as an add-on.

CoMtnMike

FNG
I have the Kifaru on my SO pack; I have loved it compared to sling over the shoulder, but sometimes the grippy bucket doesnt let go of the butt stock padding. I also have noticed the issue on steep assents - both of tangling in brush or hitting dirt, but also having the muzzle blaze a partner (nothing in chamber). I would say setting the pack down I always take the rifle off - very floppy attached to the shoulder strap and hard to put back on my back that way. I might have to try the SG version but keep the Kifaru shoulder strap attachment - then it could be secured behind my back or under my arm depending on which makes the most sense for the situation...

Chape1rm

Lil-Rokslider
I went ahead and ordered the SG quick release sling and easily attached it to my Kifaru hellbender. The Xcurve/Krux Evo version of the sling had everything I needed to do it. 20221024_130049.jpg
I ran the quick release upper attachment through the bottom load lifter attachment point on the frame.

20221024_130145.jpg
I put the included 3 bar slider on the middle compression strap of the frame and ran the bottom "bucket" part of the quick release up through the webbing of the hip belt and attached it to the 3 bar. This gave me plenty of adjustment to put the rifle where I can easily grab the grip of the stock.

20221024_131603.jpg

After dropping the rifle in just run the grey pull tab through your shoulder strap and your off and running.

CHMD

FNG
I agree with the review of the gunbearer. I like everything about it until it’s time for a steep ascent. I’m really interested in the idea of combining two systems.

Jsusic

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Jake, this is Josh with Creative Outdoors, thanks for taking the time and doing a thorough review of my Slik Sling, I appreciate it very much! Your feedback will help me to improve on the design and function ability of my product, I will always be looking for ways make it better. Thanks again and good luck!

I've used the SG for a couple seasons now and agree with the review of it.

Unfortunately I had the "quick release" buckle come loose unexpectedly and my rifle hit the dirt. I've since removed it all together and use the top side pack buckle on the SG 5900 to secure the fore-end of the rifle. It's a little less convenient to reach back and unsnap the buckle, but I'm more confident that the rifle is secure. Pic of that configuration attached.

I find with this or the quick release that the rifle can rotate forward if you lean over. I notice that a lot when I'm biking into a spot. I'll secure the rifle with the bottom side pack buckle too if I don't think I'll be reaching for it. In that configuration it's rock solid.

Attachments

• IMG_3878_cropped.jpg
    IMG_3878_cropped.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 110

lamp_ak

FNG
I’ll be curious to hear the answer. It looks like the thing you really need to be sure is included is the slider (SG marketing sort of hilariously calls it the “quick release conversion kit”).

I got horribly confused during my first installation (on a SG pack) when the video kept referencing a slider that wasn’t in the package. Turns out I didn’t need it for my pack…but worth double checking with SG that it IS included in the base sling now…or if it has to be purchased as an add-on.
the crux evo kit provides everything needed, hardware included.

lamp_ak

FNG
Can we see a pic of your "Frankenstein" set
Can we see a pic of your "Frankenstein" set up?
C9B4D8CD-E2B0-48FA-B283-76008C3A7214.jpeg

M Frankenstein rifle sling put in some tremendous work and has proven to be a dream rig for moose hunting!

The divergence was made with a kifaru Stryker XL bag with a duplex light frame. I used the gunbearer cradle and the upper frame attachment from the SG system.

I guided 20 days through September, albeit not backpack hunt type of mileage. While hunting all over a crude 1 mile radius of our base camp, with numerous small subalpine creeks to cross regularly, I found this setup to be a pleasure to haul around.

I can see the utility of this same set up for many western style big game hunts, off horseback and established drop/base camps.

lamp_ak

FNG
I have the Kifaru on my SO pack; I have loved it compared to sling over the shoulder, but sometimes the grippy bucket doesnt let go of the butt stock padding. I also have noticed the issue on steep assents - both of tangling in brush or hitting dirt, but also having the muzzle blaze a partner (nothing in chamber). I would say setting the pack down I always take the rifle off - very floppy attached to the shoulder strap and hard to put back on my back that way. I might have to try the SG version but keep the Kifaru shoulder strap attachment - then it could be secured behind my back or under my arm depending on which makes the most sense for the situation...
My same thoughts. I prefer the rifle more protected behind and beside my body.

lamp_ak

FNG
I went ahead and ordered the SG quick release sling and easily attached it to my Kifaru hellbender. The Xcurve/Krux Evo version of the sling had everything I needed to do it. View attachment 466995
I ran the quick release upper attachment through the bottom load lifter attachment point on the frame.

View attachment 466996
I put the included 3 bar slider on the middle compression strap of the frame and ran the bottom "bucket" part of the quick release up through the webbing of the hip belt and attached it to the 3 bar. This gave me plenty of adjustment to put the rifle where I can easily grab the grip of the stock.

View attachment 467003

After dropping the rifle in just run the grey pull tab through your shoulder strap and you’re off and running
Amazing work man! Seeing improvements on a new idea is what makes this community great.