Slipping/falling with a hands free rifle carrier

For those of you who use a hands free rifle carrier on your backpack, what has been your experience if you slip and fall, have you damaged your gun, does it feel like it’s likely you could?

My 12 yo son wants one for Xmas, but as kids do, he falls down while hiking more than an adult so I worry about him damaging the rifle when he falls.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I tripped last month and hit my funny bone on the bolt handle of my rifle. My pinky is still tingly 3 weeks later. Does that count for anything?

MattB

WKR
I've used the Kifaru gunbearer and no, never thought about damaging my rifle when carrying it that way.

Fatcamp

WKR
My concern is dental in nature. Having a steel rod right in my face seems a recipe for problems. Going to a different pack and probably carry on my pack next season.

I don't really fall down a lot, but the thought has crossed my mind.

It’s a tool. I wouldn’t worry about it.

I’ve taken a tumble or two with my gun bearer. I’ve got a ~$4000 rifle that shows a few scars, along with my Glock 20 from packing an elk off a skree field.

Honestly they add character, they make me think of that hunt every time I see them.

The bigger worry is a fall induced ND, but you should be hunting with an empty rifle chamber anyway IMO.

Bluumoon

WKR
Misjudged a snow covered logs height while stepping over in the dark, landed rifle first, aside from some snow around the trigger that needed to be cleaned out nothing hurt but my pride. Not sure a sling or hand carry would have faired any better in that scenario.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Totally busted my arse this past Tuesday.
Coming out of the woods to where the truck was parked
at the start of an old logging road. The FS had pushed up
a steep pile of dirt to keep people out. Lots of pine straw
on that slope, I should have known better.
I hit HARD. Luckily I was carrying my rifle in my hand.

They’re a tool, invest in a setup that can take a beating. I’ve got a $6500 setup that I’ve skipped with, this year I even bounced and rolled a few times down the mountain with it. Wasn’t worried for a second about my setup. I run a neoprene scope cover and a solo hunter rifle cover just for a little extra protection though.

Would worry the most about knocking the scope out of alignment.

Missed a big buck many moons ago when I slipped on steep bank in snow

2 days later missed big buck. — checked my rifle scope on target paper and was off 1 foot (high / right) at 100 yards when I hit the paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
I use a Kuiu quick draw and no I don’t worry much about it. I do my best to not fall directly on my rifle if I can help it though.

Superdoo

WKR
Perhaps one of those sling things that clip on the pack. It would be a nice compromise.

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had multiple slips trip falls. if your in rugged country just strap it to your pack or carry it. I can’t stand slings, their always crawling down my shoulder with gravity. Always trying to keep it on 🤬

sneaky

"DADDY"
Totally busted my arse this past Tuesday.
Coming out of the woods to where the truck was parked
at the start of an old logging road. The FS had pushed up
a steep pile of dirt to keep people out. Lots of pine straw
on that slope, I should have known better.
I hit HARD. Luckily I was carrying my rifle in my hand.
Kelly hump jumped up and bit you lol

OP
M
Well, I ended up getting him one for Xmas, got it attached to his pack, loaded a gun in/out several times in the garage to test it out but will be next fall before it really gets tested in the field.

The way it sits on his pack, I don’t think my concerns about him falling with it will be a big deal.

I’m very much less likely to fall with my hands free rifle carrier on my pack ( even day pack) so I can use my trekking poles than with my rifle sling. Avoid the fall and avoid the damage is my idea of it.

Wildone

FNG
I’ve used my kifaru gun bearer a lot. I only carry across my chest when I am in grizzly country. The rest of the time it rides along the side of the pack for the hike in. If I‘m slipping through timber where a quick shot could present itself it’s in my hand. I like having both hands free when climbing. Others mileage may vary.

For those of you who use a hands free rifle carrier on your backpack, what has been your experience if you slip and fall, have you damaged your gun, does it feel like it’s likely you could?

My 12 yo son wants one for Xmas, but as kids do, he falls down while hiking more than an adult so I worry about him damaging the rifle when he falls.
I have no problem with them at all, I think they are better in every way. I use the kifaru gun bearer and would never go back to an other way for normal carry. You are less likely to fall as well, because you have your hands free.

The gun bearer even seems faster than a sling, and almost as fast as carrying your rifle with a little practice… I use it for my bow too, and it’s true with a bow too.

Some people don’t like them for their own reasons,, but I love them. I will also add a cringey corny term… game changer 😂

Maybe not quite, but I like them way better than slings, but I also kinda hate slings. I also think the possibility of damaging your gun is higher with a sling, but don’t have any data to support that, just experience with both. I don’t take hard spills very often, I’m usually alone and a long way from help, so I’m careful not to hurt myself…