Best ground cloth?

*zap*

WKR
So, I looked at Tyvek and they also sell a few other similar materials...…9'x100' prices range from $45-$100. Thought I would make what I need and maybe peddle the remainder on the forum. What is best? or just buy some light plastic close to the sizes I want?

Thanks for the comments...

If you stop by a job site you can normally find some window cut outs of tyvek they are throwing away. I have ran tyvek for 3 years and love it.

If you stop by a job site you can normally find some window cut outs of tyvek they are throwing away. I have ran tyvek for 3 years and love it.

This. You could poke around on the downwind side or just ask a guy wrapping a condo to cut you a strip.

I've got a 10x10 piece that I use.

I've always thought one of those insulated concrete tarps would make a good winter ground sheet. Never tried it though.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
The insulated tarps are very bulky. I have a few for my business. Refletix would pack/roll up better if you want more insulation. I use refletix for car camping in colder weather.

Just a thought for you. I have been using these:

https://seekoutside.com/sleeping-accessories/

The ground tarp is 10 oz which makes it only an oz or two heavier than a Tyvek sheet. I only have 3-4 nights on mine but it is holding up well. With the added function of stake loops, I take this with me during the day as overhead cover when I am away from camp and I strung it up as a kitchen tarp during one rainy hunt.

The mountain mat is an interesting piece of kit but I am not sure I am sold. I bought this after my Neoair got a tear on a backpacking trip last year that caused me to spend a cold night on the ground in Yellowstone. It can spread out to be a ground mat that is 40x81. If needed it could be an ultralight sleeping pad or a good supplement for snow camping. It can be doubled over a few times as a glassing pad. I am still playing with it but it seems to have some utility. I am thinking about cutting it to 25 inches wide so it will match my sleeping pad and weigh closer to what my current sit pad weighs.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
plastic painters drop cloth. comes in a two or three pack for like $4 at Wallyjob. WAY lighter then tyvek and is actually waterproof. I've also tried polycro (window wrap) but it isn't very durable.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I would like to try the SO ground cloth.....I think..:LOL:

Really do appreciate all the great suggestions.....(y)

I buy it on eBay. There are sellers that will sell by the foot.

For example, right now a 9x150' roll goes for $165 at Home Depot, so $1.10/ft. eBay seller is $1.55/ft. I'd rather pay an extra couple bucks and not have to hassle with the roll.

Polycro plastic wrap for windows off of Amazon. Cheaper, lighter, quieter, less space consuming, but more delicate than Tyvek. Doubles up well to keep meat clean when breaking an animal down.

It's so light and cheap that I use it under bivies and tent inners in anything but ideal ground conditions to protect them. Especially under cuben gear that is more prone to abrasion like MLD inners and Borah bivies.

One example:
https://www.amazon.com/Six-Moon-Des...&keywords=polycro&psc=1&qid=1572889192&sr=8-4

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
The nice thing about a Tyvek roll is you can use it, abuse it, get it covered in blood and then use a different piece next time.

I use it for both a ground sheet to sleep on and also under meat or over meat, once I have an animal down I'm usually heading out that day or at worst one day later, so not horrible if I dont have a ground cloth for one night. Then that one piece if Tyvek runs double duty.

Clarence

WKR
There are some newer house wraps out now. They are a little fuzzy on one side and tend to grip, and not be slippery like Tyvek. I believe they have a little R value as well. Used it for elk season this year in a flourless shelter for 6 nights and was very impressed with it's function, but I believe it is heavier than Tyvek. I need to get a scale to weigh my setup
f7b11bb3ec4ab277bbe8bfd95ac5d4aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk