Best gaiters for elk hunting

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
So I have a chance to grab a pair of outdoor research gaiters for like $50. Should I get these or fork up the $100 for the kuiu Yukon gaiters? I’ll be hunting in Colorado second season so there’s I high chance of snow. All I’ve heard about the outdoor research crocs is that they are pretty loud

I have the kuiu katana gaiters and they are absolutely solid for elk season. Snow, rain, mud, briars etc. Only thing dry on a snow hunt for me is whats under those gaiters. I also run the kuiu scree gaiters in warmer weather. Keep all the junk out of your boots and they are not as hot.

j_volt

WKR
I personally think OR are uncomfortable and overly bulky. I would rather have Kuiu Yukons.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It really depends on how much you're going to be hunting in conditions that require gaiters.

OR Crocs have worked fine for me over the years, but needed replacement regularly. If you are just going for a week or something, on sale at $50 they seem like a good match.

Ditto for Kuiu, Kryptek, Kenetrek, etc. My hunting buddies and I have tore through a pile of them.

They all do a decent job for a hunt. Even for a season. Maybe two seasons if you have some gear aid patches.

But if you are the type of hunter that spends months every year in gaiters and want something to last much, much longer in tough conditions it will cost you a little extra in both cash and weight:

T and K Gaiter review

It really depends on how much you're going to be hunting in conditions that require gaiters.

OR Crocs have worked fine for me over the years, but needed replacement regularly. If you are just going for a week or something, on sale at $50 they seem like a good match.

Ditto for Kuiu, Kryptek, Kenetrek, etc. My hunting buddies and I have tore through a pile of them.

They all do a decent job for a hunt. Even for a season. Maybe two seasons if you have some gear aid patches.

But if you are the type of hunter that spends months every year in gaiters and want something to last much, much longer in tough conditions it will cost you a little extra in both cash and weight:

T and K Gaiter review
Those TKs look nice but a big too heavy for me. Almost 12 oz each?! My Kutanas are 4 oz ea.

jbelz

Lil-Rokslider
I have put hundreds of miles on my T&K gaiters through some truly nasty conditions. I almost always think to myself, "man, I'm glad I wore these." I have never once thought or cared about them weighing 12 oz.

I have put hundreds of miles on my T&K gaiters through some truly nasty conditions. I almost always think to myself, "man, I'm glad I wore these." I have never once thought or cared about them weighing 12 oz.
You must have legs like tree trunks. 🤣

IMG_7030.jpeg

You should check out the sitka stormfront gaiters. Kept my boots dry while trudging around in a foot of snow, fit great and seem like they are durable/great quality. They are pricier at 160$ but Im happy with them. Just giving you some more options!

Poser

WKR
I have a old pair of Kuiu Chucaghs that I bought in 2014. They have holes in them with tape on them. I've had the straps repaired/replaced 2-3 times, they have been delaminating for awhile now, but they do still work after 10 seasons of use.

Best gaiters for elk hunting are what you choose.

I have used Kennetrek, Kings, and now SG.

I prefer the SG offering now.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Best gaiters for elk hunting are what you choose.

I have used Kennetrek, Kings, and now SG.

I prefer the SG offering now.
So it seems for the price I found the crocs, they are pretty worth it

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a new pair of Kutanas on eBay right now for $80. I’d shop around. Crocs sell there for $30-$50.
Seeing as the kutanas aren’t really rated for the temps I’ll be hunting in I don’t think they are a good option. I’ve shopped around and came back with the OR crocs and kuiu Yukons. Just hard to justify the extra $50 for kuiu since I’ve been able to find more feedback on the OR’s

Seeing as the kutanas aren’t really rated for the temps I’ll be hunting in I don’t think they are a good option. I’ve shopped around and came back with the OR crocs and kuiu Yukons. Just hard to justify the extra $50 for kuiu since I’ve been able to find more feedback on the OR’s
There’s no way to know what the temps will be during second season. And the “ratings” on gaiters don’t mean much. Your pants and thermals are what’s important.

OP
A

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
There’s no way to know what the temps will be during second season. And the “ratings” on gaiters don’t mean much. Your pants and thermals are what’s important.
Very true, I guess I’m just preparing for the worst. And if I’m running uninsulated boots I want the warmest gaiters possible haha. As far as pants I was gonna go with the kuiu attack pant